+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: LG - what's the story

Senior Member jigglyboobs is on a distinguished road
    Ikaruga,

Quote Originally Posted by Ikaruga View Post
    On the other hand, i have to agree with the mysterious inconsistency mentioned before. It's far from being "Folklore" only. The netcode, the input polling (sens) or the renderer are all acting up randomly sometimes, and this is a fact, and it's happening to too many of us to be nothing but fantasy and coincidence.

For example, it's happening almost every night that I playing on a DE server (let's say wcp9). I usually def and lose the first 1-2 flags to determine how much I have to aim behind the NME to hit (when they RJ-ing out from the base high with the flag). Now while I'm playing one of my mates invite me to an other server (DE too). The game ends and I join there (still get an insta pure-server kick at first ofc, but that's an other story). After connection I immediately notice that I have to aim behind a different amount to hit. Both servers are DE, my ping is the same, yet I still need 5-6 rail shots again to adapt to the change, and there are times when I just can't because it feels so random. This is something I have all the times all year (on my good or on my bad days too), and I don't see how could I "imagine" such a change so many times.
    Exactly. People like Lorfa don't encounter this or it's not noticeable because of the servers or game types they play, so they don't think it's real, but it's definitely there.

Quote Originally Posted by an00bis86 View Post
    That's exactly it, swampy! You have to adjust a bit to compensate, but it's not impossible to do.

If you're constantly playing with a higher ping than your opponents, I think would adapt to this naturally and it wouldn't become a factor anymore.
    Yes, in a CTF game, even when your aim is off, you can still make a difference for your team, but it stops you from playing the way you want to play and forces you to play in a way that is less effective. Against people who are not as skilled, or on very well balanced teams, it can work OK. So I've played a number of pickup games where I have 85 ping and my team won against respectable opponents.

The thing is, though, I don't enjoy those games nearly as much as games where I can perform at my very best, even if I lose. This may sound weird, but to me, QL is about taking a few hours out of a busy week to achieve Zen in a video game. It's great when it works, but it's frustrating when your performance is degraded by external factors, and it can be maddening when those factors are inconsistent and random.

Quote Originally Posted by an00bis86 View Post
    That's funny, but not true.

Just for curosity's sake, several months ago, I joined a CA server in Asia (which is far away from North America, which is where I'm located). I managed to successfully kill a bunch of low ping players (< 50), while having a ping much higher (> 200). Furthermore, as anyone who can attest who's played with me, I'm not even a "good" player.
    anoobis, when people like Zero4, KGB, and Fatal1ty (ok he's out of practice) show up on West coast CA servers with even a slight ping disadvantage (50-85), they get outfought and outperformed by the top low ping players. They still do well, mind you, but when you corner and confront them head on they wilt. These days the experienced players are too good. There is not a single player in the world who can out aim a decent high level player with a 100 ping disadvantage.

At your level, there is, but at the more experienced end, there just isn't.
    Last edited by jigglyboobs; 12-30-2012 at 05:07 PM.

Member isaBadMutha is on a distinguished road
    ... I venture back as I am soon to get a monitor to play games again. I read THIS?? I'm not usually one to bash people for their thoughts on particular ideas. This last one you posted jiggly is just dumb.

First off, for someone who has absolutely ZERO experience playing top competition at a consistent basis. You seem to know exactly what is possible. Get over yourself, I seriously come back to the forums every so often, couple times a month usually. I normally see you throwing out some notion that you have it all figured out, and are a TOP TOP player only when you decide to be.

You seem content to sit on the forums and tell people about your greatness instead of showing them it. Maybe in the months that I've been gone away your game has grown by leaps and bounds. That is always possible, but with the time you spend talking about it... lol...

People who know the least about something, usually have the most to say about it.

Is this the same quake community I left? Oh well, I hope to be playing again soon. Been a while.

SHAFT isaBadMutha

Senior Member quakestreme is on a distinguished road
    Honestly I don't think anyone with ping over 90 should be allowed play.

It's just not fun IMO, for any player.
    Aways ensure you are maintaining a high FPS rate in QL. Otherwise you can be at a big disadvantage. To find out your current fps rate, use the command: "set cg_drawfps "1"".

Shaft....

Quote Originally Posted by isaBadMutha View Post
    ... I venture back as I am soon to get a monitor to play games again. I read THIS?? I'm not usually one to bash people for their thoughts on particular ideas. This last one you posted jiggly is just dumb.
    You've seen a guy do super well on team CA with a 100 ping disadvantage? Because I sure haven't. And the times when those players actually jumped on and played at a disadvantage that's what happened. It's not because they were outskilled. It was just that someone else not as good pushed the advantages they had.

First off, for someone who has absolutely ZERO experience playing top competition at a consistent basis. You seem to know exactly what is possible. Get over yourself, I seriously come back to the forums every so often, couple times a month usually. I normally see you throwing out some notion that you have it all figured out, and are a TOP TOP player only when you decide to be.
    If by "throwing out some notion that you have it all figured out" you mean giving detailed advice on the best practices to be best of my knowledge when someone who is new to the game asks then I guess I'm guilty. I guess that's a dumb thing to do compared to jumping on the forums every once in a while and insulting someone else for no reason.

You seem content to sit on the forums and tell people about your greatness instead of showing them it.
    Actually I play, and much more often than you.... and more often than I post on the forums still, even though I've been playing far less often due to work.

Maybe in the months that I've been gone away your game has grown by leaps and bounds. That is always possible, but with the time you spend talking about it... lol...

People who know the least about something, usually have the most to say about it.
    You play a mean game on TS, and I respected you for it. But everywhere else? All I've seen of you is you showing up and not even bothering to finish a game before leaving, and without saying a word... At least I finish my games, doesn't matter whether I'm down on ping, doesn't matter that my mouse or computer is acting up again. I stay, I play, I try to get better, and I try to give honest advice.

Is this the same quake community I left? Oh well, I hope to be playing again soon. Been a while.

SHAFT isaBadMutha
    I used to look forward to seeing you on. I thought you are a decent guy and a good player who doesn't mind sharing what you know, but the behavior above, and really, to hear these comments coming from you, well, it's just disappointing.

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    I normally see you throwing out some notion that you have it all figured out, and are a TOP TOP player only when you decide to be.
    I think you are getting him mixed up with JigglyWiggly. This is jigglyboobs, who isn't 1/10th as annoying, although he is no angel if you ask me.

Oh well, I hope to be playing again soon. Been a while.
    Yes! Did you get your 120 Hz display yet? We need to play some!!

Member isaBadMutha is on a distinguished road
    I honestly might have.. if that is the case, I sincerely apologize to boobs.

I just know that someone with that jiggly name, posts quite a bit about his greatness for never showing much.

I probably more was attacking the person I thought him to be then the current post (with a combination of what I remembered as well).

For this quick judgement and error on my part, You have my sincerest apologies JigglyBoobs. The person I thought I was referring to, is extremely whack in my opinion and deserves every insult in which I could throw at him.

You're right as well, I don't play anywhere near as often as I use to.. Though you say I rarely ever finished a normal game? I beg to differ I finish the majority of my games.

Sorry once again

- SHAFT isaBadMutha

Senior Member Shelby is on a distinguished road
    I believe the wiggly one is banned from the forums now, so you're safe.

Ahh apologies accepted! And please don't mind about the not finishing games comment, recollections can be biased when one is angry!

Happy new year, hope to see you playing more often! =)
    Last edited by Sasparillo; 01-08-2013 at 03:51 PM.

Senior Member quakestreme is on a distinguished road
    Don't worry about it. I've heard that in literature classes they sometimes advise not using the same first letter for different characters as people have a tendency to mix them up or lump them together in some way.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby View Post
    I believe the wiggly one is banned from the forums now, so you're safe.
    Yay.
    Aways ensure you are maintaining a high FPS rate in QL. Otherwise you can be at a big disadvantage. To find out your current fps rate, use the command: "set cg_drawfps "1"".

+ Reply to Thread