+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: LG - what's the story

*ardiel
    Can you strafe jump?

Using the damage for a massive speed boost can some times save your butt, it's a last ditch thing and is situational though.

I've had times when I'm jumping across something and their LG helps me get away and I ride on the beam and escape. Careful though because if done wrong a good player will juggle you and you're dead for sure.

Edit: also damage push seems to be highly underutilized. I've made impossible jumps by tricking people into shooting me with LG to send me across a really wide gap where they have no chance of following.

Damage push is also useful for denying opponents from jumping up to where you are or even knocking them off the map when they're flying over to the rail in Longest Yard for example.
    Last edited by ardiel; 12-08-2012 at 07:31 PM.

Member Hollowtips is on a distinguished road
    This isnt all that helpful, but if im playing ffa and i get a lg on me, and im naked, or very low, ill often not bother dodging it, because its often faster to just give up the frag and respawn. Then you can go about collecting a weapon etc, and get back in the fight faster.

Senior Member jigglyboobs is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by ardiel View Post
    Can you strafe jump?

Using the damage for a massive speed boost can some times save your butt, it's a last ditch thing and is situational though.

I've had times when I'm jumping across something and their LG helps me get away and I ride on the beam and escape. Careful though because if done wrong a good player will juggle you and you're dead for sure.

Edit: also damage push seems to be highly underutilized. I've made impossible jumps by tricking people into shooting me with LG to send me across a really wide gap where they have no chance of following.

Damage push is also useful for denying opponents from jumping up to where you are or even knocking them off the map when they're flying over to the rail in Longest Yard for example.
    People also use these tricks all the time in CTF, which is why sometimes it's better to use rail on an enemy that's flying away from you. You only do 70 damage, but the decreased push may give additional shots instead of accelerating him up to top speed.

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglyboobs View Post
    You only do 70 damage
    Rail does 80...

Senior Member jigglyboobs is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashSoul View Post
    Rail does 80...
    Wow, even better.

Senior Member DocPossible has a spectacular aura about DocPossible has a spectacular aura about DocPossible has a spectacular aura about DocPossible's Avatar
    LGing a fleeing EFC is a great way to boost your accuracy stats . You should be able to get close to 100% on them. Switching to RG for the coup de grace is pretty standard and it's an easy hit since you've already got the crosshair on them.

If that combo doesn't kill them, then there wasn't a lot else you can do.

As for countering LG, if you're in an open space (e.g. Eye2Eye) then the only counter is LG. Narrower spaces give the RL the upper hand since he can't dodge your splash and he's easily bounced, hurting his acc and making your next shot easier. Pillars and the like can bring the shotty into play too. Just stay our of sight and pick him off. These things don't negate the LG, but they can swing the balance back towards you a little.
    Last edited by DocPossible; 12-09-2012 at 05:47 AM.
    Like to play more Freeze Tag ? Join Clan Chill. We play Freeze Tag most evenings, 7:30pm UK time onwards, with a smattering of TDM, CTF and a regular duel cup. Check our website. IRC : #clanchill on quakenet

Senior Member julios is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Limbless_Pony View Post
    Also dodging isn't "random stuff", it's moving in a line perpendicular to the beam. Essentially left/right while you're facing the enemy.
    you can still incorporate random patterns perpendicular to the beam.

something to be said about randomness as a good avoidance strategy. I can't remember where I heard it, but during WW2, german submarines undergoing depth charge bombardment would "flip a coin" to decide whether to go left or right. I've also heard that some moths can detect when they are being targeted by the sonar of predators. When they do so, they engage in "neural chaos" effectively randomizing the motor movements that control their wings.

Senior Member n00kie is an unknown quantity at this point
    Cool story bro!

*Look0ut
    im one of those people that hate the lg so much i cant bring myself to use it :/ and i suck at it the 80% of my hate..
    plasma is what i use in its place and sometimes... sometimes i can beat a lger all up to my luck aim.

Senior Member CeeLoGreen is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollowtips View Post
    This isnt all that helpful, but if im playing ffa and i get a lg on me, and im naked, or very low, ill often not bother dodging it, because its often faster to just give up the frag and respawn. Then you can go about collecting a weapon etc, and get back in the fight faster.
    This is a bad idea. If you at least put a little effort into dodging, you can dispense as much of the lg ammo as you can. So the next spawn there is less of a chance for that player to face roll you with said weapon.

+ Reply to Thread