+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Possible better LCD-gaming solution for the (rich) PROs.

Senior Member Ikaruga is on a distinguished road

Possible better LCD-gaming solution for the (rich) PROs.

This is something I did not test presonally, just wanted to share the news with those who might be interested. If it turns out to be a good thing which makes the experience much better, perhaps it could come handy for upcoming LAN party or tournament admins/organizers.

Only works with Nvidia cards combined with the recently released LightBoost-ready monitors. You also need the 3Dvision emitter connected until the 120Hz mode is switched on (can be disconnected after, so the 3D kit is not actually needed for the "effect".)

http://www.techngaming.com/home/guid...ightboost-r485

I know this is really extreme compared to the little you might gain, (and I would also never go TN for myself) but enthusiast or sponsored players who are about to buy a new gamer monitor might be still interested

Senior Member megaman3 is on a distinguished road
    c r t
    r
    t
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolzy View Post
    Real, true CA is a game of chess

Quote Originally Posted by megaman3 View Post
    c r t
    r
    t
    I'm using a CRT for quake (and a decent IPS for everything else ofc), but you don't see CRTs at Quakecon or DH anymore, and perhaps the organizers still want the best for the TOP players.. hence my intentions to share this news.
    Last edited by Ikaruga; 12-06-2012 at 04:35 PM.

Senior Member megaman3 is on a distinguished road
    at this point there are no more lans so who cares. DH dropped quake this year, and quakecon...you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolzy View Post
    Real, true CA is a game of chess

I like quake

Apparently there are some people who "cares" about this after all. There is a thread about it on esr. I'm a little curious what changed since December tho because nobody gave a damn when I posted it.

Senior Member c3 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikaruga View Post
    This is something I did not test presonally, just wanted to share the news with those who might be interested. If it turns out to be a good thing which makes the experience much better, perhaps it could come handy for upcoming LAN party or tournament admins/organizers.

Only works with Nvidia cards combined with the recently released LightBoost-ready monitors. You also need the 3Dvision emitter connected until the 120Hz mode is switched on (can be disconnected after, so the 3D kit is not actually needed for the "effect".)

http://www.techngaming.com/home/guid...ightboost-r485

I know this is really extreme compared to the little you might gain, (and I would also never go TN for myself) but enthusiast or sponsored players who are about to buy a new gamer monitor might be still interested
    This whole 'lightboost 2d hack' has definitely been the buzz for 'lightboost lcd monitors' as of late. It virtually eliminates any motion blur providing you w/ a near 'CRT-Like Experience' utilizing an LCD monitor. I tested this tweak for the first time 2-3 days ago, but didn't have enough time to properly test it. From what I've seen, it does exactly as advertized. Everything is smoother, and motion blur appears to be extinct w/ lightboost enabled.

Also, you don't need to have a 3dvision emitter to make this work. The genius's out there already created a registry hack faking the monitor into thinking it's connected, so just follow the below guide you want to try it out. The only problem w/ this tweak IMO is that you have to use Nvidia's newest drivers, 300 series I believe, for this tweak to work. I"m not a fan of the newer drivers given the increase in input lag.

http://marky.com/backlight/lightboost-zero-motion-blur/

Sorry, but I posted this on dec 6 and had very little time in the prior days to talk about it with qubit. There was not enough experience without the emitter and it's still not clear when you need it and what for. There are people out there who can't make it work without the emitter, probably some driver and compatibility issue, but the bottom line is that all of this is still not some polished procedure which works for every configuration and supported monitor out there.

Senior Member c3 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikaruga View Post
    Sorry, but I posted this on dec 6 and had very little time in the prior days to talk about it with qubit. There was not enough experience without the emitter and it's still not clear when you need it and what for. There are people out there who can't make it work without the emitter, probably some driver and compatibility issue, but the bottom line is that all of this is still not some polished procedure which works for every configuration and supported monitor out there.
    It's a tweak, so yeah, it's definitely not a 'polished procedure.' However, it does work for every 'lightboost ready' monitor, generally 3d monitors. I imagine this kind of tweak will eventually become standard issue in the future. It's a great tweak and is catching on quickly.

Senior Member Biz_ is an unknown quantity at this point
    I wish it would rather detect Quake Live as a 3D app (so I could enable it 'when 3D applications run' instead of 'always')
    I don't prefer the reduced brightness for non-gaming applications

+ Reply to Thread