+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Sensitivity?

Senior Member megaman3 is on a distinguished road
    can you post a picture of your setup?

If there's very limited space (small table) then you can use russian style, which is putting the keyboard on your lap (google and youtube). It's not as weird as you might think and actually is pretty comfortable for playing, more than the regular setup, because that way the elbow has complete support and there's a lot of space for the mouse/mousepad.

What I personally do is using the regular setup (kb+mouse next each other) with a small keyboard (expensive) and a qck heavy (huge mousepad), with tape holding the mouse cord. I still use a crt on my gaming pc and it's on top of some books rofl. Elbows go into adjustable height arms of my chair.
    Funny thing is russian style beats all what I described comfort-wise, it is more consistent (lan) and costs $0.
    Last edited by megaman3; 01-01-2013 at 07:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolzy View Post
    Real, true CA is a game of chess

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eduguy View Post
    Wait so I can lower sensitivity and raise mouse accel and improve my aim?
    Nothing in particular is guaranteed to improve your aim.

The motivation behind using accel is to address the problem of needing both a relatively high sensitivity for quick turns such as those that occur when RJ'ing, fast SG finishes, and various trick jumps; Yet also needing a relatively low sensitivity for hitscans and small adjustments.

Switching sensitivities with different weapons can be jarring and throw you off, so accel becomes an attractive alternative.

The drawbacks are that your sensitivity becomes inconsistent, making it slightly more difficult for your muscle memory to adjust, and that it takes a lot of tinkering and testing to get values that work best for you.

One cvar you should be aware of is cl_mouseSensCap. It makes it so that with accel, your sensitivity will not go higher than the number you give it. It's useful if you use high accel and gives you another nice option to make your settings comfortable.

Does anyone have a calculator for mouse sensitivties(like cm/360)?
    The link baerlic posted.

Also, what exactly does accel do?
    Accel makes it so that the faster you move the mouse, the greater your sensitivity becomes.

Quote Originally Posted by baerlic View Post
    accel sucks btw
    Accel is not for everyone. It is definitely not bad though, and is even good for some.

Senior Member SquirrlWrangler is on a distinguished road SquirrlWrangler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by megaman3 View Post
    If there's very limited space (small table) then you can use russian style, which is putting the keyboard on your lap (google and youtube). It's not as weird as you might think and actually is pretty comfortable for playing, more than the regular setup, because that way the elbow has complete support and there's a lot of space for the mouse/mousepad.
    Re: Russian style. I get putting the keyboard on your lap, but I don't understand how "Russian style" QL players play with the mouse sideways. Forward/backward motion of the mouse will translate to left/right on the screen? That's like learning the Dvorak keyboard layout after years of using Qwerty.

Senior Member eduguy is an unknown quantity at this point
    Quote Originally Posted by megaman3 View Post
    can you post a picture of your setup?

What I personally do is using the regular setup (kb+mouse next each other) with a small keyboard (expensive) and a qck heavy (huge mousepad), with tape holding the mouse cord. I still use a crt on my gaming pc and it's on top of some books rofl. Elbows go into adjustable height arms of my chair.
    Funny thing is russian style beats all what I described comfort-wise, it is more consistent (lan) and costs $0.
    I tried Russian Style. My shoulder wasn't feeling so good after so I stopped.

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SquirrlWrangler View Post
    Re: Russian style. I get putting the keyboard on your lap, but I don't understand how "Russian style" QL players play with the mouse sideways. Forward/backward motion of the mouse will translate to left/right on the screen? That's like learning the Dvorak keyboard layout after years of using Qwerty.
    Not all of them do the sideways mouse thing (in fact it's becoming quite rare), but really it isn't disorienting at all. After all your brain still associates horizontal elbow/wrist movement with yaw motions in-game.

How do you access accel and how do you know how much you are using? I have about 16 cm of mouse space. Should i adjust my sens to 16 cm 360?
    Last edited by eduguy; 01-04-2013 at 04:31 PM.

Senior Member jigglyboobs is on a distinguished road
    How do you access accel and how do you know how much you are using? I have about 6 cm of mouse space. Should i adjust my sens to 6 cm 360?
    In console (usually accessed by pressing ~)

cl_mouseaccel

I use .125 ish with 800 dpi and sens 2.5ish, but am thinking about adjusting it upwards.

How much to use depends on how you aim. I like to make it so that I can consistently do snap 90 degree turns and yet still do very small and accurate corrections with the mouse, hence the lower sense and low accel.

How much should be the starting point?

How do you access accel and how do you know how much you are using?
    \cl_mouseaccel x

All console cvars can be autocompleted by hitting the [tab] key.

So for example you could type cl_mousea [TAB] and it will write for you:

\cl_mouseaccel

To see what value something is, just type the cvar without a value:

\cl_mouseaccel [enter]
    Sample output: cl_mouseaccel is "0"

If you want a more technical and precise way of knowing exactly how much sensitivity is being added with a given accel and speed, you could use the following:

Sensitivity = Sensitivity + (cl_MouseAccel * V)

Where V = [100(Velocity)(CPI / 2.54)] / 1000

For this, velocity is in meters/second.

So you can put the meters/sec of your mouse speed and tell what the sensitivity would be. For example:

CPI = 4
    Accel = 0.1
    Velocity = 1 (m/s)
    Sensitivity = 4

Sensitivity = 4 + (0.1 * V)

V = [100(1)(400 / 2.54)] / 1000

V = 15.748

Sensitivity = 4 + (0.1 * 15.748)

Sensitivity = 4 + (1.5748)

Sensitivity = 5.5748

Note: This assumes m_cpi and cl_mouseaccelOffset are set to their defaults of 0, and cl_mouseaccelpower is set to its default of 2)

I have about 6 cm of mouse space.
    Seems like this number keeps changing.

Should i adjust my sens to 6 cm 360?
    I don't think so, that should be too high.

Senior Member megaman3 is on a distinguished road
    There's no point in putting all that effort into configuring if he has no space and is not willing to do measures to have a decent working/gaming space.

Consider mouse size on that as well, so he has less than 10cm to move it around. Picture the smallest mousepad you can think of then cut it and half, and probably that's bigger than his space.
    Last edited by megaman3; 01-04-2013 at 04:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolzy View Post
    Real, true CA is a game of chess

+ Reply to Thread