+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Sensitivity?

Senior Member eduguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Sensitivity?

I have a 9 sensitivity and I read that it should not be too high so I am wondering if this sensitivity is too high.

Senior Member SquirrlWrangler is on a distinguished road SquirrlWrangler's Avatar
    I've been wondering the same thing. I've got a Logitech MX 518 mouse (400 dpi). I was using a sens of 9.7 with no acceleration. Then I saw this thread with a list of what sens and acceleration the pros use.

So now I'm going to experiment with a sens of 4.25 and acceleration of 0.10.

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eduguy View Post
    I have a 9 sensitivity and I read that it should not be too high so I am wondering if this sensitivity is too high.
    What cpi are you using?

Does it feel too high for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Lorfa View Post
    What cpi are you using?

Does it feel too high for you?
    Do you mean DPI? It feels pretty good to me but the pros use much lower sensitivity. Should I lower mine? Is it possible to get so used to a sensitivity that you can't play with other levels of sensitivity?

Senior Member jigglyboobs is on a distinguished road
    Low sens with low accel works well for many people. Low sens gives you precise aim adjustment. Low accel allows larger movements for strafe jumping and close in fighting.

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Do you mean DPI?
    Yes, but the correct term is CPI (counts per inch), not DPI (dots per inch).

It feels pretty good to me but the pros use much lower sensitivity. Should I lower mine?
    I think 9 is high on even 400 CPI. That would be 11.5 cm/360. If you were using 800 or more I would say it is too high with complete confidence.

It's important to listen to your hands so to speak, and keep track of your own game performance. How are your accuracies? How good is your movement through the map? Could they be better? When you try to make them better, what happens?

Mouse settings are a tool to solve a problem. It's important to identify the problem you are trying to solve.

Is it possible to get so used to a sensitivity that you can't play with other levels of sensitivity?
    No, I don't think so. Doesn't mean that it's easy to switch from something you've used for a long time.

Senior Member Dr_Mr_Ed will become famous soon enough Dr_Mr_Ed's Avatar
    OP, you're still new and learning (based on looking at your profile). I suggest lowing your sensitivity a lot and get used to that as soon as you can. With high sens, you'll never really get good LG or RG accuracy (IMO).

All these cpi and sensitivity numbers are tough to unravel. I'd suggest gauging on how much you move the mouse to do a complete 360 degree spin (slowly, so accel doesn't come into play). Looks like you're under 5 inches right now. Push down sensitivity so it's 7" then 9" and see how those feel. Some pros are even low, but you need to get used to lifting and/or have a huge mouse pad.

tl;dr -- yes, lower your sensitivity.

Senior Member MajkiFajki is on a distinguished road
    1600 CPI, 1.4 sensitivity value, no accel stuff. Huge mousepad. Work fine for me.

I have a very limited mouse space(3.5 inches width) and I find that with lower sensitivity i can't fight in close range very well.

Senior Member jigglyboobs is on a distinguished road
    I have a very limited mouse space(3.5 inches width) and I find that with lower sensitivity i can't fight in close range very well.
    Ahh, that's a problem right there. There's not much you can do with less than 4 inches of mousing space. In this case, size really does count.

When you've figured out a natural way to grow the size of your mouse movement, you can then look at what you are doing when you mis-aim. If what you are doing is consistently over-correcting for your opponent's movements when trying to LG fight or rail, then you need to decrease your sensitivity until you are no longer overshooting. For mouse accel you need a lower value if you are overdoing your large movements.

+ Reply to Thread