+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: small maps never making appearance in FFA

Senior Member julios is on a distinguished road
    thanks for the info

sponge, are you sure that hellsgate is in rotation?

I did a little experiment with a friend - we went on a server, readied up, then one of us would spec so the map would end and we'd be able to select from three new choices.

We did this about 10 times, and none of the small maps showed up at all, even though nobody else joined.

In fact, the only way we were able to get to a small map like cobalt station or focal point was to callvote nextmap.

I've not seen hellsgate once on a standard ffa server this rotation... has anyone else?

Web Programmer sponge will become famous soon enough sponge will become famous soon enough sponge's Avatar
    Yea, the map is in there; if it were typo'd or anything it would puke out an error. It's marked to be in the rotation for FFA and CA with 2-6 players.

Senior Member muckyman will become famous soon enough muckyman will become famous soon enough muckyman's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by sponge View Post
    Yea, the map is in there; if it were typo'd or anything it would puke out an error. It's marked to be in the rotation for FFA and CA with 2-6 players.
    It`s much more fun with 12-16.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Friedman
    All flying saucers are UFO`s not all UFO`s are flying saucers.

Senior Member KaasMan is on a distinguished road
    As the OP mentions, originally it did no filtering of arenas that are out of size. It was clear that this was not working as well as expected, so we added (and announced when it was online) that it would filter out arenas that were too big or too small. The next 3 choices are chosen at the beginning of the match due to the way the server handles arena rotations, and there are no plans to revamp this behavior currently.

Hell's Gate is marked as 2-6 players. This can be confirmed through Start a Match, by hovering over an arena (Start a Match is available to browse for all players, although obviously you need to be Pro in order to actually launch the server)
    Is this why I'm only seeing Focal Point and 'that desert sand fog map which is extremely small' only when playing 8v8 CA?
    I mostly play teamsieze 3 to 5, never encounter those maps. Playing 8v8 occasionally, and there they are. Those maps are tiny as shiet!

Ok I saw it up for the first time today - yay

Web Programmer sponge will become famous soon enough sponge will become famous soon enough sponge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KaasMan View Post
    Is this why I'm only seeing Focal Point and 'that desert sand fog map which is extremely small' only when playing 8v8 CA?
    I mostly play teamsieze 3 to 5, never encounter those maps. Playing 8v8 occasionally, and there they are. Those maps are tiny as shiet!
    There likely aren't 3 maps marked for 16 players once you take out the current map and the last map played, so it falls back to pure random.

Member skeletonface is on a distinguished road
    No, it means you'd pay money to start a server that MAYBE someone would eventually join. If you want to spawn servers and actually have people join, you have to choose the same arenas and game-types as everyone else, which kind of defeats the purpose. In fact, the harder they push people to go pro, the worse that situation will get. We'll all be sitting alone in our own servers waiting for someone to join

Senior Member KaasMan is on a distinguished road
    There likely aren't 3 maps marked for 16 players once you take out the current map and the last map played, so it falls back to pure random.
    What is this logic? "We don't have teamsize 8 maps, so here are some teamsize 2 maps." Wouldn't it be better to just give us some teamsize 5 or just as high as possible maps then?

Senior Member muckyman will become famous soon enough muckyman will become famous soon enough muckyman's Avatar
    Filtering shouldn't happen on Pro servers, all maps selected in the rotation should appear.
    Well,after a week of on and off testing...the only way i can get somewhat damaged to show up in the post match vote on a large FFA server is to include it in a 3 map only pool
    Any more than 3 maps and it never appears as an option.

Just to add,in my opinion if there are more than 3 maps in the pool the last map played should never appear as an option on pro spawned servers,it can always be voted for by the old method if the players desire it that much again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Friedman
    All flying saucers are UFO`s not all UFO`s are flying saucers.

+ Reply to Thread