+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: small maps never making appearance in FFA

Senior Member julios is on a distinguished road

small maps never making appearance in FFA

I've noticed that in the last 2 or 3 rotations, some maps that are supposedly included in the rotation rarely if ever make an appearance.

I remember reading somewhere that this is because of a new feature that skips those maps when there are more than a certain number of players.

Are there any details about how exactly this works? i.e. how few players are needed for us to enjoy hellsgate this month (a favourite among many).

I'd also like to add my own thoughts - small maps with 8 players adds a welcome change of intensity.

Perhaps more importantly, because of the social dynamics underlying the choices players make about which servers to join, the situation far more often involves a few heavily populated servers rather than many underpopulated servers (at least in east coast NA ffa servers).

I'm curious about what others think here...

Member Hollowtips is on a distinguished road
    I think it sounds horrible. The first person to get an explosive device who is even remotely handy with it is going to simply be able to pick off half of the game in a couple rockets because everyone will be crammed in a little box. This game is already filled with people who have their rocket launcher out 70% of the time, and all they know how to do is bounce people around until they win. Youll see them with 12% lg accuracy, shooting 25% rails, and 18% shotty, but every game theyve expended close to 60 rockets and grenades.

it ain't that simple. The beauty of a map like hellsgate is that there is so much chaos that in order to render order out of it you need to really flow. That maps forces you to get into a flow-like state of mind. And it isn't about spamming rl - at least not against half way decent players. There's RA control, staying alive, being able to claw back into a killing spree with nothing but a shotgun, etc.

Senior Member megaman3 is on a distinguished road
    same solution as all problems in QL: get a pro account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolzy View Post
    Real, true CA is a game of chess

Junior Member mblaze is on a distinguished road mblaze's Avatar

http://www.quakelive.com/forum/showt...-over-and-over

No answer... and it's a good question.

All I've seen come up on the basic FFA servers are Brimstone Abbey, Cold War, Deep Inside, Hidden Fortress, Japanese Castles, Winter's Edge, Tornado (rare), and Cobalt Station (very rare). I've never seen the other maps come up even once unless it was on a pro server.

So play on more pro servers or make my own right?! I have trouble getting people to join while basic servers remain populated.... but that's another issue.

Web Programmer sponge will become famous soon enough sponge will become famous soon enough sponge's Avatar
    As the OP mentions, originally it did no filtering of arenas that are out of size. It was clear that this was not working as well as expected, so we added (and announced when it was online) that it would filter out arenas that were too big or too small. The next 3 choices are chosen at the beginning of the match due to the way the server handles arena rotations, and there are no plans to revamp this behavior currently.

Hell's Gate is marked as 2-6 players. This can be confirmed through Start a Match, by hovering over an arena (Start a Match is available to browse for all players, although obviously you need to be Pro in order to actually launch the server)

thanks for the info sponge.

Does this mean if I were to upgrade to a pro account and start my own server, hellsgate would only be available with 6 or less players? Or is this filter only enforced on public servers?

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    In the Pro-spawned server you can callvote it so it wouldn't be as much of an issue.

Senior Member muckyman will become famous soon enough muckyman will become famous soon enough muckyman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by julios View Post
    thanks for the info sponge.

Does this mean if I were to upgrade to a pro account and start my own server, hellsgate would only be available with 6 or less players? Or is this filter only enforced on public servers?
    Pro spawned servers can have up to 16 players on any map.
    The end of map voting filter seems to still apply whatever maps you have in the rotation although you can turn the end of match voting feature off and use the rotation and order of maps you select (although i heard some reports it`s a bit iffy).
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Friedman
    All flying saucers are UFO`s not all UFO`s are flying saucers.

Web Programmer sponge will become famous soon enough sponge will become famous soon enough sponge's Avatar
    Filtering shouldn't happen on Pro servers, all maps selected in the rotation should appear.

You can add any map for any amount of players on Pro servers, the intent is you have a relatively consistent experience when playing on an infrastructure server: you don't go from crazy big to crazy small and so on. Pro servers are bumped up ahead our Standard servers, though, so players are more likely to see them.

+ Reply to Thread