+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Do i need a mousepad?

Senior Member eduguy is an unknown quantity at this point
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat View Post
    Goliathus is way overrated. I went through a crapton of pads before I found one that could compare to the better hard surfaces out there.

Zowie G-TF
    Artisan Hayate
    PureTrak Talent

Pick one.
    How about the Qck Steelseries? I don't want to spend thirty dollars on a mousepad.

Member inertiacreeP is on a distinguished road
    you're at a funny fork in the road.

hopefully you don't become like those guys who have 10 different mice and a dozen pads.

right now i only have 3 pads and 3 mice

Junior Member mblaze is on a distinguished road mblaze's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eduguy View Post
    How about the Qck Steelseries? I don't want to spend thirty dollars on a mousepad.
    It looks like a really good cloth mousepad. What you want is a thin pad with a non-slip bottom. Both that Qck one and the XTRAC are solid choices for a cloth pad.. and you're right, you don't want to spend $30, lol. Atleast not for your first mousepad. Both these pads are half that or less.
    Last edited by mblaze; 12-05-2012 at 04:24 PM.

Senior Member Cat has a spectacular aura about Cat has a spectacular aura about Cat's Avatar
    It was marginally worse than the Goliathus. Same problem with control. The mouse doesn't stop where you want it to stop on those pads. Instead it resists any change in velocity. This problem doesn't exist on the pads I listed, nor does it exist on most quality hard surfaces. The problem with hard surfaces, however, is that they grind your mouse skates to dust. It's incredibly difficult to make a cloth pad that is as good as a hard pad. Artisan, Zowie and PureTrak are the only ones I know of that have managed to pull it off. The Artisan pads are practically frictionless.

I made this review of the Hayate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkLMaVNLOlw

The reason QcK and Goliathus are as popular as they are is because of how much money SteelSeries and Razer spend on sponsoring pro-gamers to use their products. Popularity does not equal quality. All it equals is good advertising. Remember that when making purchases.

Best cloth pad under 20 dollars?

Senior Member Cat has a spectacular aura about Cat has a spectacular aura about Cat's Avatar
    Best cloth pad under 20 dollars?
    If you're able to churn out just a little bit more you can get a G-TF for 30.

Otherwise:
    http://www.amazon.com/Japan-black-SA...s=Artisan+hien

It's medium size rather than large, though.

Here's a good review of the Hien that compares it to the Hayate, QcK and a few hard pads:
    http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/view...opic_id=365302

If 20 is your limit, medium size Hien is probably the way to go with respect to cloth pads.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat View Post
    It was marginally worse than the Goliathus. Same problem with control. The mouse doesn't stop where you want it to stop on those pads. Instead it resists any change in velocity. This problem doesn't exist on the pads I listed, nor does it exist on most quality hard surfaces. The problem with hard surfaces, however, is that they grind your mouse skates to dust. It's incredibly difficult to make a cloth pad that is as good as a hard pad. Artisan, Zowie and PureTrak are the only ones I know of that have managed to pull it off. The Artisan pads are practically frictionless.

I made this review of the Hayate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkLMaVNLOlw

The reason QcK and Goliathus are as popular as they are is because of how much money SteelSeries and Razer spend on sponsoring pro-gamers to use their products. Popularity does not equal quality. All it equals is good advertising. Remember that when making purchases.
    Does that mean when you change direction of mouse it will just keep on sliding? why?

Does that mean when you change direction of mouse it will just keep on sliding? why?
    Inertia. For some reason those pads require you to use more force to change direction. I have no idea why since I haven't read any materials science (we're currently at special relativity in my physics class, which is a lot easier).

My best guess is that it has to do with how much force you require to get the mouse to start moving from a stationary position. You can easily move the Hayate, G-TF etc. from one side of the pad to the other by blowing on it, so very little force is required (proof of this is in my video). While the higher friction of the QcK and Goliathus should logically stop them sooner, which makes it a bit counter-intuitive to think changing direction is harder, it will also require more force to accelerate (since to accelerate any object the force enacted on that object has to be greater than the opposing force of friction).

Senior Member ybl is on a distinguished road ybl's Avatar
    well, i prefer the cheap razer goli speed over the expensive zowie mat. it has less friction.
    edit: the box has a pic of avek on it. !
    Last edited by ybl; 12-05-2012 at 06:36 PM.
    CA with <16 slots is nothing.

Reviews say that the Qck mini is really good though

+ Reply to Thread