+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 92

Thread: To Quake Live Developers: You guys are doing it wrong. Wrost Pay Model ever..........

  1. #21
    Junior Member Artif3x is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    13
    The pay model isn't the problem. I've paid for a pro account so I can spawn my own servers for me and my friends, and it was worth every penny. I plan on renewing once my year runs out.

    If they want to make more money, what they need to do is spread the game's popularity.

  2. #22
    Senior Member megaman3 is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,195
    Quote Originally Posted by Artif3x View Post
    The pay model isn't the problem. I've paid for a pro account so I can spawn my own servers for me and my friends, and it was worth every penny. I plan on renewing once my year runs out.

    If they want to make more money, what they need to do is spread the game's popularity.
    Use this 2 scripts to make your life easier.
    http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/134612
    http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/107333

    First one allows you to invite people by typing it in chat, including users that aren't in your friend list.
    Second one is self explanatory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolzy View Post
    Real, true CA is a game of chess

  3. #23
    Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    East Lansing, MI
    Posts
    6,206
    Quote Originally Posted by ephix1a View Post
    Purchasable Weapon Skins - If you want weapon skins play CoD
    That was one of the stupidest examples you could've gone with. The guns in CoD are all different and if you actually play the game it's really easy to tell the differences between them. The only reason I assume you chose it was to bag on CoD, which honestly aren't bad games if you look past the hackers. (At least in reference to the multiplayer)

  4. #24
    *Earthsea
    Guest
    This is different from many other F2P games on the market in that it is (basically) Quake 3 Arena with a browser client. It isn't like id decided to make a completely new game here. This is, for all intents and purposes, an absolute classic in the deathmatch FPS genre that has been played by thousands of people and by many on a competitive level for over a decade.

    You may say "well look at Tribes Ascend, it is basically just an updated Tribes, which came out in the late 90's." QL is much more of a "port" of Q3A than TA is compared to Starsiege Tribes or even Tribes 2.

    There's my two cents. The suggestions might work if this weren't Quake, but seeing as it is Quake, those suggestions just wouldn't work with the way this game is meant to be played, tinkered with, and viewed by its community and the community outside the game. I can guarantee my friends still wouldn't play it if it was just some hardcore TF2 knockoff without classes -- they like seeing it as one of the most hardcore FPS games on the planet, let's keep it that way.

    The game isn't empty, and I doubt it will be for a very long time -- at least until some legitimate sequel comes around (Reborn is in the works, who knows about that... maybe Aftershock... maybe Quake 5? lol)

    Just my $0.02.

  5. #25
    Member ephix1a is an unknown quantity at this point ephix1a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by pikaluva13 View Post
    That was one of the stupidest examples you could've gone with. The guns in CoD are all different and if you actually play the game it's really easy to tell the differences between them. The only reason I assume you chose it was to bag on CoD, which honestly aren't bad games if you look past the hackers. (At least in reference to the multiplayer)
    Nono, you didn't understand me.. I have played CoD 4 and I'm looking forward to buying Black ops 2.. If there are weapon skins the CoD kids (players who say every single game which has something that's the same as CoD is a rip off the game) will probably spam on the forums that quake live is a rip off CoD because there are weapon skins.

  6. #26
    Member General is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    66
    We play quake not because of fancy graphics, realistic weapons, cartoony animations...

    We play Quake because it is raw, fast and there is nothing like it. We've all played the alternatives, most of us have probably played the hell out of many of the alternatives. We've all enjoyed games with awesome graphics that push the limits of our hardware we shell out good cash for... but in the end, what do we ultimately play?

    We play Quake... it is what it is, if you don't like it, gtfo

  7. #27
    Senior Member CoolMike is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New Hampshire, USA
    Posts
    347
    I didn't read all the posts but I wanted to say that I'd be willing to pay for a custom HUD if it was super professionally done, had the ability to edit the hud on the fly with the escape menu, worked with all gametypes, and was easy to install.

    I have my own custom HUD that I use and it is serviceable, but not spectacular. The hud also seems to screw around with the information I'd like to have displayed for the harvester mod (I can't see how many skulls I am carrying for example).

    I disagree completely with the OP, but this one suggestion wasn't terrible. Pro HUD and CFG - one 5 dollar payment, available to premium members only. It is possible that the entire thing could be reverse engineered by an individual for free and thats OK. What you would be paying for is the convenience factor. I think something like this could be appealing even if the implementation is probably more trouble than the potential revenue for QL.

  8. #28
    Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    East Lansing, MI
    Posts
    6,206
    Quote Originally Posted by ephix1a View Post
    Nono, you didn't understand me.. I have played CoD 4 and I'm looking forward to buying Black ops 2.. If there are weapon skins the CoD kids (players who say every single game which has something that's the same as CoD is a rip off the game) will probably spam on the forums that quake live is a rip off CoD because there are weapon skins.
    Off-topic, but I want to play Black Ops 2 as well, but can't because my laptop has 512 MB vRAM which is the same as BO2's minimum :<
    Yeah, I never understood why people complain about that. Infinity Ward games tend to be similar games, but Treyarch actually listens to their community and fixes things. Heck, they even went and got players big on YouTube to playtest and collaborate with. (Several of them helped write the guide book as well)

    Normally the people that complain about CoD's lack of realism tend to think that's what they were trying to make. The whole point of the story mode is that everything is over the top and is meant to entice excitement in players. The multiplayer tends to be similar, but they try to change things up by making new gametypes and think of things (Again, this is more Treyarch and not as much with IW)

    Quake Live isn't meant to be a "silly" game. It's supposed to be a more hardcore game for the less casual players. By adding in hats/weapons skins/etc (Yes, I know hats wasn't mentioned in this thread) it lowers the hardcore portions of the game in favor of useless things that do nothing for the game but hurt it. The players that would be left after a lot of the veterans left would be more casual gamers that play for fun and less for competition. (This isn't always bad, but when everyone in the game is just there for fun, anyone that *is* competitive would be bored all the time and often frustrated with teammates)

  9. #29
    *an00bis86
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SixtyFive View Post
    The irony.

    Neither are TF2 and T:A, yet they manage to monetize without pissing off their communities.
    Irony? How so? I'm always able to find a match to play with friends on QuakeLive. Sorry it's apparently so difficult for you. :P

    Pissing off the community? $25 a year is extremely cheap compared to the price of most new games. The community seems to perpetuate a vicious cycle in regards to the subscription -- arguing that they refuse to pay since no one takes advantage of the perks, and thus, if no one pays, no one is taking advantage of the perks, and the cycle continues. :P

    If you can't afford to pay, that's fine too; it just means you can't vote for maps directly, and have to contend with the rotating map pool -- a map pool that includes content that was once deemed by the community to be "played by no one" since it was a perk for subscribing. In that respect, free users actually benefitted from the change of direction in terms of monetizing the game by id.

    As I believe someone else mentionned in this thread, generally only people who are annoyed by something are vocal with their displeasure; thus, your view of the community being "pissed" is rather biased. :P

  10. #30
    *an00bis86
    Guest
    As for any apparent bashing of games like CoD, Halo, CS, etc., the point I was trying to make is some of the perks offered in those games tend to be strictly cosmetic and add nothing of consequence to the game play. Generally, Quake players aren't interested in fancy graphics -- you'll notice that people have all those fancy features that are already available turned off in favour of a barebones setup. Thus, offering cosmetic perks to the Quake community would yield minimal to no revenue whatsoever.

    I do love CoD, Halo, CS, etc. FWIW.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts