+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: To Quake Live Developers: You guys are doing it wrong. Wrost Pay Model ever..........

*EDacIouSX
    lol i've been palying quake live on and off since it came out and I didn't even know there was a premium account.

Junior Member snakster is on a distinguished road
    I don't think the current pay model is that great (yes I know, I have no numbers and there are people who do this professionally bla bla).

During the weeks when premium content was enabled for everyone, you could actually see how much more fun quake live could be - but not because I had premium, but everybody else had it as well. Just because a user doesn't pay, it doesn't mean he's useless and should just go away. The more players, paying or not, the more opponents for different levels of skill, game types and match formats. As long as there are still free slots on servers and empty games, any player should be able to join.
    I don't see how forcing players to play on maps they don't want to play is doing anyone any good.

Instead of restricting access to maps, I would restrict access to server slots. Someone mentioned premium and free slots, I think that's the right direction. You could set up servers so that if a premium user wants to join, the last joined free account player is kicked to make room.
    Of course this would ONLY happen during warm up, not during games, otherwise it would be frustrating.
    Since the warm up period is usually pretty short, you'd have to compensate somehow. For example by supporting queued joins.
    A premium user wants to play a CA 2v2 for example, you specify it in the filter, it shows you games (including those in progress) and notifies you once a game with a slot (possible already in use by a free player) is available.

Why I think this would be good:
    - The community can play the maps they like - no more games you just wish to be over, or games that are abandoned because there's no good map choice.
    - As long as there's free capacity, free users can join, which ultimately is good for everyone because there will be more games available.
    - Paying for server access seems much more plausible to me than paying for content (not because paying for content is bad in general, but because this is quake and it doesn't really have/need new content).
    - With a free account, you get a very good idea of how the game could be like when buying premium.
    Last edited by Sasparillo; 12-11-2012 at 10:57 AM.

Banned AutoMatiK is an unknown quantity at this point
    I still want the plush Tank model squishy teddy

Senior Member danstar will become famous soon enough danstar will become famous soon enough danstar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snakster View Post
    During the weeks when premium content was enabled for everyone, you could actually see how much more fun quake live could be - but not because I had premium, but everybody else had it as well. Just because a user doesn't pay, it doesn't mean he's useless and should just go away. The more players, paying or not, the more opponents for different levels of skill, game types and match formats. As long as there are still free slots on servers and empty games, any player should be able to join.
    perfectly true.

Member saturnz is on a distinguished road
    Initially with the rotation system, I saw activity on our local servers die quite quickly.

However in the past three rotations activity has picked up again, especially on the duelling side of things and I would go so far as to say I observe more duels these days than before the new rotation system.

Also the community seems pretty healthy, 16 player CAs are not uncommon and I actually do not struggle to find duels these days.

I also think the rotation system has helped in improving my game play, I no longer run around ztn in a monotonous fashion, but being exposed to other maps forces me to think of new ideas etc. Infact the rotation system has actually made me less fond of ztn and I actually have gotten over the withdrawal symptoms of not playing it as frequently as before.

So I would say the rotation system from anectdotal evidence (my personal experience and observations) has not had such a negative effect on the (local) community as I initially thought it would. I would even say that it has had no negative effect.

I have never considered premium, and so whatever changes to the pay model that there is will have little effect on me, the biggest concern was the rotation system.

Senior Member danstar will become famous soon enough danstar will become famous soon enough danstar's Avatar
    ye saturns, many pay, many left long before that due to failed promises and the likes, twist it as much as you like - the game isn't what it was a year ago, and not what it was 2 years ago.

had everything we have now been implemented in aug 2010 then things would have worked a lot differently. but thats just how it is amirite?

Member saturnz is on a distinguished road
    or it may be that what is happening is my local scene is different to the scenes everywhere else

note the points I made were specific to my local community, not to the community at large. I don't think anyone outside of ID is qualified to make representations about the community as a whole, since it spans the entire globe.

and you say things would have been different, that doesn't necessarily mean better or worse

Senior Member Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnz View Post
    Also the community seems pretty healthy, 16 player CAs are not uncommon
    Just for the record, 16 players CAs are not a sign of the community being "healthy". Quite the contrary, in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by saturnz View Post
    or it may be that what is happening is my local scene is different to the scenes everywhere else

note the points I made were specific to my local community, not to the community at large. I don't think anyone outside of ID is qualified to make representations about the community as a whole, since it spans the entire globe.

and you say things would have been different, that doesn't necessarily mean better or worse
    u think, therefore you do not know, but what you forgot to add to this is:

europe .. the place that is the mostly active in the world, and when it starts decaying here (noticably), then one can assume how things are.

many prem users, but many lost souls.

and yeah.. no one but id knows.. typical - they removed the subscriber numbers that were visible next to the awards the same week the whole sub-model came out in aug 2010.

ask yourself why and keep telling yourself that its not worse or better.

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Limbless_Pony View Post
    Just for the record, 16 players CAs are not a sign of the community being "healthy". Quite the contrary, in fact.
    Just for the record, the fact there are 16 players CA is a sign of the community being healthy. Because there are enough people playing for us to witness such oddities. The fact we wouldn't play that ourselves is irrelevant.

+ Reply to Thread