+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: To Quake Live Developers: You guys are doing it wrong. Wrost Pay Model ever..........

*iSUCKatFPSnow

To Quake Live Developers: You guys are doing it wrong. Wrost Pay Model ever..........

This is probably one of the worst Free to Play games I've ever played.

You guys are killing your own game.

#1. Duels are completely dead.
    #2. Free accounts cannot vote.
    #3. $1.99 per month. Okay. But the forced purchase of 12 months via $24.99 required payment is why I don't bother.

Your way of making money is completely terrible. First off, your axiom of "Premium Account" just rapes Free-to-Play, so freebies (which is most players), will be quickly turned off.

So how do you make money? It's so simple. I can almost bet that the Quake Live Team would be making MUCH MORE CASH if they created a "Cash Shop" type payment system.

For instance, instead of offering Premium Accounts and dividing the limited community, start to create the following and launch them via cash shop. People will spend money on it:

Purchasable Player Character Models
    Purchasable Huds
    Purchasable Weapon Skins
    Purchasable Taunts and Animations, e.g., Tea-Bagging, Middle-Finger.
    Purchasable Theme Songs that can are played at the end of the game by the highest fragger on the winning team.
    Purchasable Character Name Animations or Color

There is so much more you guys can be doing. At the moment, this is a complete crap-fest.

Senior Member megaman3 is on a distinguished road
    iSUCKatFPSnow
    Join Date Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolzy View Post
    Real, true CA is a game of chess

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by megaman3 View Post
    iSUCKatFPSnow
    Join Date Nov 2012
    Let's give him credit for at least not writing a wall of text.
    He did spell "worst" wrong though :<

I'd F2 that though. It removes a TON of content from the players in the process of doing this.

Huds: That'd mean you can't make your own hud and use it as you'd have to pay for other people's huds
    Models: This would mean forcemodel would have to be removed
    Weapon skins: This would probably mean that the gun would have to be forced on the screen in a fixed location

Everything else will remove the entire competitive aspect from the game and will make the game cartoony

*an00bis86
    In response to your suggestions, I submit the following:

1) The average Quake player has all the models forced to the wonderful green Keel. I can't see anyone paying for additional models.
    2) A free community-made app exists that allows Quake players to build custom huds. I can't see anyone paying for content that can already be obtained freely.
    3) The weapons aren't skinnable in QuakeLive AFAIK. Even if they were, I can't see anyone paying for additional weapon skins.
    4) The average Quake player has taunts turned off. I can't see anyone paying for additional taunts. Furthermore, this game is rated T for Teen, so you would never see any taunts like what you're suggesting.
    5) The average Quake player has music turned off, since it interferes with the in-game sounds of opposing player movements, etc. I can't see anyone paying for additional music.
    6) Names can't be animated in QuakeLive AFAIK. Even if they were, I can't see anyone paying for animated names.

In the end, your suggestions are garbage, and would make id no money whatsoever. Quake isn't CoD, Halo, or CS, where people are foolishly parted from their money for such useless 'perks'.

*iSUCKatFPSnow
    Quote Originally Posted by an00bis86 View Post
    In response to your suggestions, I submit the following:

1) The average Quake player has all the models forced to the wonderful green Keel. I can't see anyone paying for additional models.
    2) A free community-made app exists that allows Quake players to build custom huds. I can't see anyone paying for content that can already be obtained freely.
    3) The weapons aren't skinnable in QuakeLive AFAIK. Even if they were, I can't see anyone paying for additional weapon skins.
    4) The average Quake player has taunts turned off. I can't see anyone paying for additional taunts. Furthermore, this game is rated T for Teen, so you would never see any taunts like what you're suggesting.
    5) The average Quake player has music turned off, since it interferes with the in-game sounds of opposing player movements, etc. I can't see anyone paying for additional music.
    6) Names can't be animated in QuakeLive AFAIK. Even if they were, I can't see anyone paying for animated names.

In the end, your suggestions are garbage, and would make id no money whatsoever. Quake isn't CoD, Halo, or CS, where people are foolishly parted from their money for such useless 'perks'.
    It would work just fine... just like it does in every other F2P game.

Don't want changes? That's fine. Enjoy your empty game.

Quote Originally Posted by iSUCKatFPSnow View Post

I'd suggest you go reread what I wrote before saying it'd work as well as any other F2P game.

Senior Member Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa has a spectacular aura about Lorfa's Avatar
    This is probably one of the worst Free to Play games I've ever played.
    You haven't played many f2p games then. Probably this is just angry hyperbole.

You guys are killing your own game.

#1. Duels are completely dead.
    This isn't true at all.

#2. Free accounts cannot vote.
    Yes, this is true. It is hotly disputed and undesired.

#3. $1.99 per month. Okay. But the forced purchase of 12 months via $24.99 required payment is why I don't bother.
    You can purchase less than 12 months..

Your way of making money is completely terrible. First off, your axiom of "Premium Account" just rapes Free-to-Play, so freebies (which is most players), will be quickly turned off.
    It's still free to play, just premium/pro gets a better experience.

So how do you make money? It's so simple. I can almost bet that the Quake Live Team would be making MUCH MORE CASH if they created a "Cash Shop" type payment system.

For instance, instead of offering Premium Accounts and dividing the limited community, start to create the following and launch them via cash shop. People will spend money on it:

Purchasable Player Character Models
    Purchasable Huds
    Purchasable Weapon Skins
    Purchasable Taunts and Animations, e.g., Tea-Bagging, Middle-Finger.
    Purchasable Theme Songs that can are played at the end of the game by the highest fragger on the winning team.
    Purchasable Character Name Animations or Color
    These ideas are like, offensively bad.

Quake has never been this way, and to do this is anathema to it.

First of all, character models, huds and name colors are all free. Charging for them now would be a disaster. It's bad enough they started charging for what was free before.. the maps.

Secondly, theme songs would be annoying and everyone would just turn them off. Same with taunts if they could.

Charging for these things would be weird.. culturally. It would make a player stand out like, "hey look at this crap I paid for just to look fancy.. I'm a moron."

This just isn't the kind of game and community where such things would work. I would even go so far as to say that quake is "above" such gimmicks.

There is so much more you guys can be doing.
    I agree with this 100 % though, and I have felt this way for years. I just completely disagree with your suggestions.

*an00bis86

No, it wouldn't work. Please re-read what I wrote and give your head a shake.
    My game isn't empty at all -- it's amazingly easy to find a match; please stop with the hyperboles.

BTW, Quake isn't like every other F2P game -- for starters, it isn't a CoD/CS/Halo knockoff.
    Last edited by an00bis86; 12-04-2012 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by an00bis86 View Post
    No, it wouldn't work. Please re-read what I wrote and give your head a shake.
    My game isn't empty at all -- it's amazingly easy to find a match; please stop with the hyperboles.

BTW, Quake isn't like every other F2P game -- for starters, it isn't a CoD/CS/Halo knockoff.
    inb4 he replies that it's a Quake 3 knockoff.

*an00bis86
    LOL, pika That it is, that it is.

+ Reply to Thread