+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How quickly do your skills deteriorate/recover after some time away from Quake?

Senior Member insect is on a distinguished road insect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeDoubleU View Post
    It takes longer for me if I played some other shooter while away from QL.
    Yeah, it takes longer then. After playing Tribes Ascend for a few months my aim in QL is screwed up. I use different sensitivity for sniping while zoomed, so now I'd need a new config for ql. Aiming rockets is also different because of speed and inheritance difference. The same with movement mechanics: skiing&jetting vs jumping&strafing.
    But at least I can fly as much as I want, not being dependent on id's mercy to include space ctf

Junior Member jdent is on a distinguished road
    I'd say the longer you were away the longer it takes to get back. I hadn't played in 10+ years till 3 months ago and I'd say I'm still only at 75% of what I was. First week I couldn't even finish with a + net in an ffa. Fight positioning and spawn knowledge take longer to recover than aim.

*alpha
    comparing 10 years with today is silly tho, its not even the same game.

Member slavemaster is on a distinguished road slavemaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jdent View Post
    I'd say the longer you were away the longer it takes to get back. I hadn't played in 10+ years till 3 months ago and I'd say I'm still only at 75% of what I was. First week I couldn't even finish with a + net in an ffa. Fight positioning and spawn knowledge take longer to recover than aim.
    lol. How can you even remember how good you were 10y ago?
    Also everybody else is getting better with time. Some people I used to beat in 1v2 ca now have higher score in game then me.

Senior Member DocPossible has a spectacular aura about DocPossible has a spectacular aura about DocPossible's Avatar
    If I'm away for a couple of weeks I really notice it. The first few games just feel insanely fast. It usually takes a day or two before I'm fully back on the groove. Mostly this is because I'm old and creaky tho
    Like to play more Freeze Tag ? Join Clan Chill. We play Freeze Tag most evenings, 7:30pm UK time onwards, with a smattering of TDM, CTF and a regular duel cup. Check our website. IRC : #clanchill on quakenet

Senior Member DeeDoubleU will become famous soon enough DeeDoubleU's Avatar
    Doc, I'd like to suggest a kind of mind-cheat for you - after period of not playing try few matches with bots at timescale 1.5-2.
    Normal settings should feel noticeably slow after that.
    Real life? Life is real?!

Senior Member DocPossible has a spectacular aura about DocPossible has a spectacular aura about DocPossible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeDoubleU View Post
    Doc, I'd like to suggest a kind of mind-cheat for you - after period of not playing try few matches with bots at timescale 1.5-2.
    Normal settings should feel noticeably slow after that.
    Or you could all stop moving around so much You're like a kitten on espresso sometimes! Tx for the advice though. I'll give it a try.
    Like to play more Freeze Tag ? Join Clan Chill. We play Freeze Tag most evenings, 7:30pm UK time onwards, with a smattering of TDM, CTF and a regular duel cup. Check our website. IRC : #clanchill on quakenet

Senior Member danstar will become famous soon enough danstar's Avatar
    or, you go play warsow and then quake - which is better than facing bots online.

quake will seem slow after that.

Member Ironb4lls is on a distinguished road
    I'm like Pika -- if I take a few days off from games, I feel super-sharp and responsive when I jump back on. My flicks are more accurate, and I move with more purpose. Conversely, if I play for too long in one session, or play too many days in a row, my game starts going downhill. It's the same thing when I play tennis. I'll start out well, but then my focus deteriorates, and I catch myself just going through the motions.

Banned AutoMatiK is an unknown quantity at this point
    my game skills deterioate during games, after games and while thinking of games I might play. I think it may have something to do with this bottle of Scotch.

+ Reply to Thread