+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How quickly do your skills deteriorate/recover after some time away from Quake?

Senior Member jigglyboobs is on a distinguished road

How quickly do your skills deteriorate/recover after some time away from Quake?

Just curious.

I tried playing some CTF games last night after about a month or two without QL, and while my skills have not completely gone to poot, aim and movement definitely feel awkward....and my score.... oh boy.

I usually find that I need to play for a few days before I get back to a comfortable level. Just curious what others have experienced.
    Last edited by Sasparillo; 12-04-2012 at 04:50 PM.

Member dec is on a distinguished road
    It takes a day or two. Problem could be that people you normally play with have gotten better over the course of a month too. =D

Senior Member Chibers will become famous soon enough Chibers's Avatar
    It depends. If it's just a few days of being online but not playing, an hour or so.

If I go days without touching my pc? like a week lol.
    #TATW
    It's more fun when you're mellow

Senior Member quakestreme is on a distinguished road
    The first minute it's like "what is this, I've never played this game before, everything is so weird".
    Last edited by Sasparillo; 12-04-2012 at 04:51 PM.
    Aways ensure you are maintaining a high FPS rate in QL. Otherwise you can be at a big disadvantage. To find out your current fps rate, use the command: "set cg_drawfps "1"".

Senior Member danstar will become famous soon enough danstar will become famous soon enough danstar's Avatar
    every few months or so i will be gone for 1-2 months and when coming back it feels like i was never gone. bit of warm-up is needed anyway but the i get into it as quick as i leave it.

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danstar View Post
    every few months or so i will be gone for 1-2 months and when coming back it feels like i was never gone. bit of warm-up is needed anyway but the i get into it as quick as i leave it.
    This. I took a 3 month or so break a while ago due to computer issues and when I came back I actually found my accuracy had increased from where it had been.

I don't know why that happened, but ever since then I've had much better accuracy. I also took about a 2 week break a while ago and when I came back I went from hitting about 25% lg to usually hitting 40%+

I'm weird like that.

Senior Member danstar will become famous soon enough danstar will become famous soon enough danstar's Avatar
    gotta agree with you pika, if you take a break after extreme sessions and come back to it - it can actually improve you on all levels, regardless how long the break was.

ofc in the first minute might not always feel right, especially cus on some days you might need 1-2 games to get warmed up. the performance tends to stabilize itself pretty quickly again.

Senior Member tomlin is on a distinguished road tomlin's Avatar
    If I have a break of say 5+ days, when I return it feels as if someone's messed with my sens settings and I can't believe I used to play it like that. Feels horrid. Doesn't take long for it to return to normal though.

A little hiatus can cleanse you of your bad habits, perhaps.

Regarding warm-ups, sometimes I find as little warm-up as possible is best for me - when I first enter the game I'm alert and hyperactive but after 30 minutes of warm-ups and shuffling and general faffing about the chair-slouching begins and I feel rather de-spunked.

Senior Member DeeDoubleU will become famous soon enough DeeDoubleU's Avatar
    It takes longer for me if I played some other shooter while away from QL.
    Real life? Life is real?!

*TcmQL
    It takes a couple hours for my aim to come back, probably a couple days to get on form again.

+ Reply to Thread