+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Regarding the arenas taken from Q3's console incarnations

  1. #1
    Junior Member scalliano is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    6

    Regarding the arenas taken from Q3's console incarnations

    I'm unsure if this has been mentioned before, but here goes.

    I've just gone "pro" and I was browsing the extra arenas when this occurred to me. It's great that maps from the Dreamcast version and Quake Arena Arcade are featured, however, I was surprised to see that the Playstation 2 version, Quake III Revolution, is not represented at all.

    This port had some really great duel/small DM maps and new game modes such as Possession (hold on to the White Flag for a set cumulative period of time) and Team Possession. Some of the new maps (such as "Final Resting Place" were straight up boss arenas, but with a bit of item balancing could really make QL's roster feel a bit more "complete".

    It also featured new skins for a lot of the characters and even a model for the Vadrigar, and Reaper and Mistress from DK2 also made cameos, but I can see how this aspect would be irrelevant as most QL players use forcemodels.

    Incidentally, one of Q3R's maps is available in the EA Map Pack for Q3A (EADM6, called "Asylum", funnily enough) and there are plenty of videos online of the game's other exclusive levels. While the extra skins and models are most likely a non-starter, it would be great to see some PS2 content in QL. IMO it's definitely worth looking into.

    Opinions?

  2. #2
    Senior Member megaman3 is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,195
    I've wondered the same, particularly about classic versions the q3 maps (some are better than the ones in QL) and huds/fonts/graphics (q3 itself, dc, ps2, arena arcade).

    As for the good ps2 maps, youtube or didn't happen.

  3. #3
    Junior Member scalliano is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    6
    Coming up!

    The first of the new maps. Footage is from the Japanese version, but you get the idea:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vztx...feature=relmfu

    Final Boss arena. Dialogue is a bit cheesy, but hey:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxXeti5M-Wo

  4. #4
    Senior Member CoolMike is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New Hampshire, USA
    Posts
    347
    Good thoughts! I also want to note that a bunch of the maps from the XBOX 360 Arcade Quake Arena game are not yet included in Quake Live. These maps all have a nice polished look and feel to them.

  5. #5
    Senior Member megaman3 is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,195
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolMike View Post
    Good thoughts! I also want to note that a bunch of the maps from the XBOX 360 Arcade Quake Arena game are not yet included in Quake Live. These maps all have a nice polished look and feel to them.
    I saw them in videos and all of them are awful, besides the flying castle thing already added.

    Now that we are talking about this, it is very weird that the very first map of q3 is not available in QL. The one that had a mirror then a teleport, 3 rooms, plasma and shotgun.
    Or the QL map in which you fight against crash for that matter, that same version.

    The ps2 huds are not that great but at least they are different. Why not add them to the game? Someone must have done a custom version (that works decently in high res) so they could ask his permission, or do it from pseudo-scratch since it is quite easy to do.

    If the q3 and port maps "don't meet their standards" release them as a retro package. We won't dislike 20 "new" maps, and it is not like those are as bad as the beta version maps.
    Last edited by megaman3; 11-27-2012 at 04:41 PM.

  6. #6
    Junior Member scalliano is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    6
    Yeah, the Cliffside map, but personally I think that maps like Catalyst and Hazmat are much better. Granted, maps like Roid Rage and Gantry leave a bit to be desired, but overall the new maps in QAA are pretty damn solid.
    Last edited by scalliano; 11-27-2012 at 04:39 PM.

  7. #7
    Senior Member megaman3 is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,195
    Not for the PC version. But then again at this point I want anything: got used to having thousands of awesome maps and dozens of spectacular mods, including the better versions of all QL mods really.

  8. #8
    Junior Member scalliano is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    6
    The maps themselves not being up to QL's spec shouldn't necessarily be a deal-breaker - look at what they did with the Hidden Fortress map from the Dreamcast. While the remaining DC and PS2 maps could probably do with a bit of sprucing up/rebalancing if they were to make it into QL, the 360 maps wouldn't really need much of an overhaul, even the lesser maps.

    All in all, I just want to be able to play these levels online with a mouse and keys :P

  9. #9
    Senior Member Asuka_ is on a distinguished road Asuka_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Camping on the corner
    Posts
    232
    Quote Originally Posted by megaman3 View Post
    Or the QL map in which you fight against crash for that matter, that same version.
    Thats Hells Gate Redux, would be pointless to add it only because different colors.

    Rather than unknown maps id like to see some cool 3wave maps that haven't been added yet such like q3wxs1 (great map for insta and capture strike aka A&D). q3wcp17 (same as wxs1) and q3wcp18 (great for everything).


    P.S. lol the guy from the Vadrigars video is a noob. xD
    Quake Live
    Asuka
    My Youtube

  10. #10
    Senior Member CoolMike is on a distinguished road
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New Hampshire, USA
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by megaman3 View Post
    I saw them in videos and all of them are awful, besides the flying castle thing already added.

    Now that we are talking about this, it is very weird that the very first map of q3 is not available in QL. The one that had a mirror then a teleport, 3 rooms, plasma and shotgun.
    Or the QL map in which you fight against crash for that matter, that same version.

    The ps2 huds are not that great but at least they are different. Why not add them to the game? Someone must have done a custom version (that works decently in high res) so they could ask his permission, or do it from pseudo-scratch since it is quite easy to do.

    If the q3 and port maps "don't meet their standards" release them as a retro package. We won't dislike 20 "new" maps, and it is not like those are as bad as the beta version maps.
    Its been over a year since I played through the XBOX Arcade version of Quake Arena Arcade but I recall that only a few of the maps were 'bad'. Mostly I found a map bad if it was too simple or structurally boring. The majority of the new maps in that game were fun to play, even with an xbox controller and against bots with inferior AI (the bots in QAA seemed more stupid than the QL bots).

    I supose I could log back into my XBOX and try out a few maps and post a few specific suggestions.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts