+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: The QUAKE LIVE Console Guide

*MartianBuddy
    Still no sexy pics for your awesome console list MuffinMan?

Banned TheMuffinMan86 will become famous soon enough TheMuffinMan86's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MartianBuddy View Post
    Still no sexy pics for your awesome console list MuffinMan?
    I've been hoping to make it sexy with some pictures of sexy martians :P
    Nah I'd like to take the guide much further, but I don't have the skills (or team with the necessary skills) or resources to do so. For example I'd like a web host willing to host it for free and without adverts etc., but it's difficult to find someone to do it (although adderall said he would back in beta, still hasn't :P ). It'd also be better to integrate images on a site instead of a silly little zip file download. I'd also like to make the entire list defined in a database, which would make things easier to edit. Then I've also got a Beginner's Guide (in-depth info on Weapons and Items, Gametypes etc.), Map Guide (that I'm still working on) and a HUD & Menu Editor's Guide that I'd like to link all together in a nicely put together site. But I can only dream!

The sexiness will have to wait!

Senior Member KittenIgnition is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan86 View Post
    I've been hoping to make it sexy with some pictures of sexy martians :P
    Nah I'd like to take the guide much further, but I don't have the skills (or team with the necessary skills) or resources to do so. For example I'd like a web host willing to host it for free and without adverts etc., but it's difficult to find someone to do it (although adderall said he would back in beta, still hasn't :P ). It'd also be better to integrate images on a site instead of a silly little zip file download. I'd also like to make the entire list defined in a database, which would make things easier to edit. Then I've also got a Beginner's Guide (in-depth info on Weapons and Items, Gametypes etc.), Map Guide (that I'm still working on) and a HUD & Menu Editor's Guide that I'd like to link all together in a nicely put together site. But I can only dream!

The sexiness will have to wait!
    dayum... thats pretty sexy already! sexy pics arent even necessary!

Senior Member g0vn0r is on a distinguished road

Some questions, some random thoughts

I've been confused lately with the A flag. Until today, I'd believe that the A flag would be an immutable attribute tantamount to "archivable". Now I've come to think that it should mean "archived" instead.

Little experiment in console:
    Code:
    set MyOwnCvar1 "5"
    seta MyOwnCvar2 "6"
    If I use listcvars on them, so as to visualize their flags, I see:
    MyOwnCvar1 -> T
    MyOwnCvar2 -> AT
    Now after disconnection, inspecting repconfig.cfg shows that both cvars made their way there. If I reconnect to localhost or to an online server and use listcvars again, I can see this:
    MyOwnCvar1 -> AT
    MyOwnCvar2 -> AT
    ...which seems logical since the command used in repconfig.cfg is seta.

However it's confusing me for 2 reasons:
    - the set command has been used with MyOwnCvar1, and yet the cvar has been archived nevertheless, because of the seta-only behavior of repconfig.cfg. This is a kind of A flag promotion.
    - of course the cvars involved are dummy ones, but this can be extended to client-exposed cvars. For example, setting g_speed (which is a flagless cvar) to 400 in a practice session results in the cvar acquiring the A flag afterwards, because it lands in qzconfig.cfg where the seta command is used as well.

So my question goes to Lorfa and TheMuffinMan: is there a flaw in the above interpretation?

I'm a little annoyed with this, as currently my diff scripts are broken because of that matter. I'd like to fix them so that, in the future, what they show makes more sense.

Also, to my utter shame I'm still confused about the information path between the console and the repconfig/qzconfig files, in spite of Yakumo's thread. Any input to clarify this would be appreciated.

Last question: currently, a dash in the 'Flags' column means "no flag", and a dash in the 'Default Value' column means "empty".
    @TheMuffinMan: do you intend to keep these notations in the later editions of the guide? TIA

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Maybe some of you noticed that the Nov. 16th 2010 update did NOT install a new plugin. So presumably no new cvars got exposed. I'll inspect more thoroughly and update the diffs...

- Some cvars gained exposure in October: g_accelFactor_*, g_accelRate_*, g_forceDmgThroughSurface, g_splashradius_*, g_velocity_*, weapon_reload_*, pmove_*, to mention the most interesting ones.

g_forceDmgThroughSurface and pmove_RampJump made their way to private servers configuration, so I'd bet some beers that we'll get tweakable physics and/or weapons rebalancing on private servers eventually

- About the guide in the making:
    I also really could do with a new webpage editor other than the ridiculous Word 2003 that loves to mess up an entire table whenever I do a slight adjustment to it!
    This is the only thing I dislike about the guide: 3.4MB is heavier than it should be, and the html source is ugly. As a side effect, when I load it in Firefox, a few seconds are needed before I can Ctrl-F on it.
    I use two lightweight csv formats myself (involving only cvars, flags and default values) which can be imported easily into a spreadsheet app, but unfortunately I can't advise you on an alternate html/xml editor which could provide a similar versatility
    Then I've also got a Beginner's Guide (in-depth info on Weapons and Items, Gametypes etc.), Map Guide (that I'm still working on) and a HUD & Menu Editor's Guide that I'd like to link all together in a nicely put together site. But I can only dream!
    Interesting...
    Last edited by g0vn0r; 11-22-2010 at 10:26 AM.

Senior Member motion_snk is on a distinguished road motion_snk's Avatar
    i've got a question.
    Is there anyway to make a bot un-killable, (or 999 hp - godmode, etc) ?

Senior Member Adderall will become famous soon enough Adderall's Avatar
    pb_security "0"
    pb_sleep "500"

No longer cmds
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/member.php?38883-sectionate

Amd 8350 - 4816.08 MHz on air
    Crosshair V
    Asus GTX660 DirectCU

Quote Originally Posted by Undertaker12 View Post
    Thank you. You're video is ok... you need a better cfg than that, and you should try using electronic songs like my movie.

@g0vner:
    Not quite sure about the flags thing, I'll have to check out the source code sometime when I've got VC++ installed again.

Yeah the current state of this guide (format-wise) is quite poor. Still would like a web host + designer willing to give a hand with this project at no cost. My database knowledge is lacking but that's still the direction I'm aiming at.

Yes it seems that it's no longer necessary to keep updating the plug-in with every update. The plug-in however, has nothing to do with the cvars/commands - that's set by the dll's in baseq3/bin.pk3 and home/baseq3/ which is included in the update content. The plug-in just loads the content on the site appropriately and allows for the content updates to download.

You were right about the tweakable physics on private servers. I'm on-the-fence about that one - it's nice to be able to adjust the physics as prefered but it could also create confusion should more customisation become possible as players joining your server won't know what to expect. My solution to id would be to have a detailed server info screen on all changable settings available to all clients.

@s0ng:
    Unfortunately that isn't possible.

@_adderall:
    Thank you, will be changed accordingly. Btw, what happened to your idea of adding the guide to NGL?

@g0vner:
    [..]
    Yes it seems that it's no longer necessary to keep updating the plug-in with every update. The plug-in however, has nothing to do with the cvars/commands - that's set by the dll's in baseq3/bin.pk3 and home/baseq3/ which is included in the update content. The plug-in just loads the content on the site appropriately and allows for the content updates to download.
    Yes you're right, thanks for pointing out this mistake of mine.

I'm on-the-fence about that one - it's nice to be able to adjust the physics as prefered but it could also create confusion should more customisation become possible as players joining your server won't know what to expect. My solution to id would be to have a detailed server info screen on all changable settings available to all clients.
    True. A friend of mine once set up a server with "damage through floors" and used this to frag me by surprise with a rocket
    There's no notification about server options yet, afaik. Something in the console, maybe through \serverinfo, would be a good start.

I've updated THIS and THAT.
    In the latter, nearly a hundred new cvars have got exposed. I'll try to document some of them.
    Last edited by g0vn0r; 12-25-2010 at 05:14 AM.

It's been a while since the last release. I might have a chance to work on getting the next edition out this weekend or next week. The guide was almost completely up to date before the update a few hours ago, so I mostly just need a listing of the latest cvars/commands and I'll get to work on the definitions. Once again, thanks g0vner for all your work above ^^^

I'm considering getting a host for the 3rd Edition and the only site I can think of right now is Holysh1t.net (it's time they had an up-to-date list anyway).

Also, if SyncError is reading this, you might want to consider implementing the guide for the in-game console, much like the pro server commands in ? all have definitions included (as an added example, Quake 4 has all cvar/command definitions listed in-game). The main issue at play might be legalities as there's multiple sources used in this document, but regardless, it's worth considering. If user-friendliness is what you aim for, your cvars and commands should be easy to understand.

The guide was almost completely up to date before the update a few hours ago, so I mostly just need a listing of the latest cvars/commands and I'll get to work on the definitions.
    No new command has been introduced with the Feb 2nd 2011 update.

Here's a summary of the new cvars being exposed:

cg_itemFx (T) default:7 min:0 max:7
    cg_lightningImpactCap (T) default:192 min:0 max:768
    cg_simpleItemsRadius (T) default:15 min:8 max:22
    cg_smokeRadius_dust (T) default:24 min:0 max:32
    cg_smokeRadius_flight (T) default:8 min:0 max:16
    cg_smokeRadius_haste (T) default:8 min:0 max:16
    cg_trueShotgun (T) default:0 min:0 max:1
    g_damage_mg_tdm (-) default:4
    g_damage_sg_falloff (-) default:0
    g_damage_sg_tdm (-) default:4
    g_domCapTime (S) default:3
    g_domination (S) default:0
    g_domScoreRate (S) default:5
    g_enableMachinegun (-) default:1
    g_range_sg_falloff (-) default:768
    r_fastSkyColor (T) default:0x000000
    sv_adXmitDelay (S) default:300000
    sv_altEntDir (-) default:-
    ui_forceEnemySkin (-) default:-
    ui_forceTeamSkin (-) default:-

MuffinMan, be aware that this listing is Aflag-agnostic: the A flag is discarded in all occurrences. If this flag is important to you, you'll have to double-check, sorry...

(-) means "flagless", and the Aflag-agnostic assumption applies.

And for default values, a dash means a non-value (empty string)

In addition, some previously existing cvars have different flags/defvals now:
    g_damage_lg_falloff default:0
    g_damage_sg default:5
    g_damage_sg_outer default:5
    g_flagBounce default:0.25
    r_fastsky acquired the T flag

...leading to THIS being updated.
    Last edited by g0vn0r; 02-04-2011 at 01:42 AM.

+ Reply to Thread