+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Firefox 17 in Linux - Cannot play anymore!

Hybrid View

Junior Member Zurd is on a distinguished road

Firefox 17 in Linux - Cannot play anymore!

I played quakelive yesterday just fine, today I can't. The problem, is when I click Join game, the screen in the middle freeze there, it logs me into the server, I can hear people chatting, playing but I see nothing. I cannot bring the console down, clicking in the game window doesn't do anything, same for right-clicking.

I'm running Debian Testing, haven't done any apt-get updates since yesterday, the only updates I did was Firefox, went from version 16 to version 17.

I can also confirm I do have opengl because running glxinfo says Yes to direct rendering.

Need help!

I just disabled all my extensions, still doesn't work. I have QuakeLive.com Game Launcher 1.0.520 and I'm not sure if quakelive uses flash but I have version Shockwave Flash 11.2 r202 with says it's the latest.

Junior Member keghn is on a distinguished road
    Hello.
    Firefox 17 would not launch the game after the commercial.
    Firefox 16.0.2 worked only when I uninstalled 17.
    Down loaded 16.0.2.tar2 and extracted to home dir.
    When to ~/home/firefox with file manager and mouse clicked on
    Firefox then played QL.
    I am using Mint 14 mate. Which is like Ubuntu 12.10.

Down loaded 16.0.2 from:

https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla....-x86_64/en-US/

Junior Member kilagor is on a distinguished road
    Have you tried this: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=445232#c3 workaround?

It helped in my case :-)

Thanks kilagor, that is the best solution at the moment ! I don't know what this setting do and there is no documentation whatsoever on it, but I see no difference in my firefox with this setting disabled.

Here's how to easily apply the fix : In a new tab, type about:config, click the button, search for dom.ipc at the top, and for the line dom.ipc.plugins.enabled, double-click on it to turn it off.

Play quake

*Ernestas
    I can confirm that I am also experiencing this problem. I deleted whole .quakelive folder and joining a room still results in having a QuakeLive plugin freeze.

Junior Member DesiMunda is on a distinguished road
    Ditto! i am unable to load any game though it lets me login....the pop up message i get whenever i click to join is " loading required data...until then cannot connect to game". i uninstalled plugin, firefox 17..then reinstalled everything....still doesnt work.

looks like the plugin is not compatible with 17 version of firefox.

Junior Member _jp_ is on a distinguished road
    Yes... Same here... FF17 breaks the QL plugin... Going back until fixed...

Senior Member Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam's Avatar
    Same here, old Fedora with Firefox 17. I can play full screen, but window mode doesn't work at all, the "window" inside the page simply doesn't update. I've tried with disabled extensions, I have no other plugins but QL (not even Flash). Definitely FF17's fault.

I suggest downgrading to 16.0.2 for the time being.

Downgrading is an option, however I don't much like that option. Here's another one, I'm on Debian and since the firefox name is copyright, it's not included in Debian, instead it ships with IceWeasel, a true opensource firefox, it's almost the same thing, mainly the name that is different. However since I wanted the real firefox with the latest updates I installed it. So I have firefox and iceweasel installed on my machine and they share the same ~/.mozilla folder, so same plugins, bookmarks, etc.

So I can now just open up iceweasel and go play quakelive, it works! I tried playing with Opera but it really doesn't look like it's supported.

+ Reply to Thread