+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Quake Tips?

Member RaTB is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by SquirrlWrangler View Post

I improved slowly but for months I was consistently in tier 3 ctf, ffa, and tdm. Then one day I got bumped up to tier 4. I didn't stay there long, but I started to win more tier 3 ffa games. I got bumped up into tier 4 again and stayed there a bit longer.

And then one day I noticed a big change. I was using cover much more effectively. I was suddenly anticipating the movements and trajectories of other players much better than I had been before. I began to shoot where they were going to be rather than where they were.
    This is pretty much how it worked for me to.
    I only started playing recently but i had the advantage of playing quake arena back in the day with my mates. when i found out about QL i had to try it. Tier 1 and 2 whent by pretty quick and when i learned how to strafejump i was not beaten as badly in tier 3.

For about 3 games i got bumped to tier 4...got owned every time but it was still fun. Tier 3 felt easier afterwards, people did not dodge my shots so easily and all of a sudden i felt for the first time like i had aim. (i don`t)

I play for fun so my tier is not important, as long as the games are competitive i have fun. I rarely win anything and probably never will except once in a full moon, still fun though. Particularly when theres is like 5 guys of equal skill.
    Just wish QL would improve the mac plugin, every time i play i get QL crash at least once

Senior Member Ikaruga is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by RaTB View Post
    Just wish QL would improve the mac plugin, every time i play i get QL crash at least once
    oh, that's bad:/ Is it still beta? Wonder how big is the Mac userbase. Iirc they said it some years ago that it will be finished once, so let's hope.

From what i can gather from this forum it is still beta:/ There are more bugs, but the crashes is what bothers me the most. The rest is ok cause im not that competitive

No idea how many uses mac`s, but probably most of them are tech savvy enough to install Win on their macs. Obviously i`m not.

Senior Member SquirrlWrangler is on a distinguished road SquirrlWrangler's Avatar
    I find it too inconvenient to boot into Windows just to play Quakelive, so I tolerate the frequent crashes with the Mac plugin. Given the growing market share of Macs (over 11%?), I'm somewhat surprised that Id hasn't spent more time polishing the Mac plugin.
    Last edited by SquirrlWrangler; 12-17-2012 at 06:32 PM.

Senior Member eduguy is an unknown quantity at this point
    Luckily I don't use mac.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikaruga View Post

You are also right about testing new settings might help. I would recommend him to lower sens as much as possible, but he has space problems on his desk, and no mousepad as well, so perhaps it's too soon to mess with little details like that.
    I`m curious, what sens do you guys play with?

I watched the pros play the QL tournament last weekend and i was amazed by how steady their aim was. Usually i`m all over the place. I mouse aim mostly and the aiming dot is always flying around the screen.

I googled for what is a normal setting and could not quite understand how they calculated it until i found this site:

http://www.notalent.org/sensitivity/sensitivity.htm

I thought i was on low sense but apparantly i do a 360 in 13.7 CM. Either my input is wrong or i should go lower.

Then again, i just play ffa and have never tried Duel. Maybe a high sense i preferable in the hectic ffa enviroment?

Senior Member eduguy is an unknown quantity at this point
    I do a 360 in 3.7 cm

That cant be good since i believe it is supposed to be somewhere in the 20-30 cm range :-)

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RaTB View Post
    I thought i was on low sense but apparantly i do a 360 in 13.7 CM.
    With no accel it's natural to use a higher base sensitivity since it can be difficult to make fast turns. However I have rarely if ever seen anything higher than 10 cm/360 amongst strong players. I think 15-25 is more common.

If 13.7 cm/360 is working for you then keep on it.

With accel things change a bit, as you usually see lower base sensitivities.

My sens for example goes from 30 cm/360 to 12 cm/360 (senscap) so that I can make slow sweeping motions for smooth aim or fast turns if I need to for quick 180s and rocket jumps.

Also, here's a better site for such calculations:

http://www.funender.com/quake/mouse/index.html

With accel i could not hit anything. I did not realize macs had that crazy accel until i started reading on this forum. Found a little program that fixed that for me.

Thanks for the link btw! Just wondering how i find the in-game resolution width?

Btw...today i just found out something that helped immensely on my aim... ill mention it in case there are other retards like me out there.

Play the game full screen!!

Apparantly i was to stupid to se that particular option earlier:/ Changing it to full screen just got me two victories in a row...not something that happens everyday i can tell you

So yeah, 13.7 cm/360 seems to work so far. Im still a sloppy aimer but at least now i hit something. Enabling accel and go slower is not really an option for me.

+ Reply to Thread