+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Thread: Quake Tips?

Senior Member eduguy is an unknown quantity at this point
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzBlade View Post
    Play for fun. If your angry and frustrated you will lose your cool and fail in aim, jump, logical choices.

Spectate others.

Support your team in team modes more. Often times it isn't your single awesomeness, but your teamies that have your back that win the round. ( I'm guilty of not doing this enough :P )

Don't blame or put down your team, this is denial of the quakelive culture, where quiters, joiners, trollers, haters, campers, and people who don't want to shuffle all love to see the world burn and take it out here, and it isn't much different in other games. Imbalance happens, but if you are playing for win, and not for challenge, your gonna rage.

Join higher tier games when they don't mind.

Join the losing team when someone quits and they are one man down. You rarely gain much on the winning team in terms of challenge, and if your constantly challenging yourself on a losing team, STILL TRYING and not pissin about, you will get on the level of those who are better than you quicker. If you don't believe your a winner, your already a loser by default.

Don't ever expect to get better than your mentors. It might happen, but they have been here longer, and every bit of experience you gain, they are still gaining skill too. They need your skill to improve theirs, don't dismiss the value you bring to the game. They won't admit this to you.

Major plethora of videos on youtube to highlight any of your movement needs.

Shorten your strafe jump timing to the point your missing jumps from pressing it too early. You lose speed spacing the jumps too far. Don't over emphasize the first strafe angle, and following angles in general. I over angled for the longest time.

Practice maps are for practice, not gameplay skill. Practicing strafing in game w/ maps that are not straight paths and enemies that kill you is a whole different scenario.

Try to achieve 125fps if you can, I have to lower graphics settings to do this on a machine that can run ps3 games just fine..., and if you can't get 125, see if you have a video syncing feature to make smooth drawing to the screen.

Turn off background applications that use the internet and/or have high CPU activity prior to gameplay. Clear browser cookies.

Wear stereo headphones, turn on doppler sounds if off.

Install windows on a usb stick. Google "Windows usb install" and boot from that instead of the partition mess if dual boot partitioning is your issue.

I'm surprised to hear about mac complaints, and sometimes I wonder if mac users expect everything on a silver platter. I have no trouble w/ linux plugin on gentoo, and mac/linux are both based on unix/bsd, and many of their problems and solutions are similar in nature. I did have to find some extra answers on my own though.

Do you mac users who experience crashes every check your /var/log for error messages? I had to solve a couple issues w/ OpenGL and some shared libraries, but nothing quakelive is responsible for.

I agree 110%, just camp and feed your frag desire. Hide around corners and wait w/ gaunt. Spam taunts at ragers. Do what makes you happy, I bet most people aren't paying attention to anyone but the top players anyhow. If your not smiling y r you playing? Anyone putting you down for being worse than them is shallow, not worth listening to, and prolly trying to dismiss their own insecurity of skill. I'm notorious for screwing around and not being serious. I have more fun when losing.

Nice perspective Lorfa. I think this has a few points that can be applied to railgun as well.
    I just can't not worry about dying and not getting kills. But thanks for all your help.

Senior Member SquirrlWrangler is on a distinguished road SquirrlWrangler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzBlade View Post
    I'm surprised to hear about mac complaints, and sometimes I wonder if mac users expect everything on a silver platter. I have no trouble w/ linux plugin on gentoo, and mac/linux are both based on unix/bsd, and many of their problems and solutions are similar in nature. I did have to find some extra answers on my own though.

Do you mac users who experience crashes every check your /var/log for error messages? I had to solve a couple issues w/ OpenGL and some shared libraries, but nothing quakelive is responsible for.
    It's got nothing to do with so-called Mac user entitlement. The Mac plugin is truly a piece of crap. I haven't seen something crash so much since software from the 1990s. Frequently, the plugin crash doesn't even produce a crash log. There is no indication in the log file that something went wrong. When that happens, I have to restart the browser to get QuakeLive working again. About 50% of the crashes do produce a crashlog. When I get 10 of those, I submit them (via a download link) to QuakeLive support. They never download them. I use Droplr, which has a download counter and it's still at 0.

Either QuakeLive no longer has a Mac programmer or they don't give a crap. For them, the Mac plugin is "good enough." But that's speculation on my part.

I have about 16 cm of mousing space. Should I adjust my sens to about 16 cm/360

Senior Member Dr_Mr_Ed will become famous soon enough Dr_Mr_Ed's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eduguy View Post
    I have about 16 cm of mousing space. Should I adjust my sens to about 16 cm/360
    Keep in mind that you'll rarely do 360 spins, but often need to do 180. Your sensitivity should be low enough to track/aim well, but high enough to flick shot. It's more about feel than what anyone else tells you. I'd start there and see if you can get comfortable with it, then tweak.

Senior Member danstar will become famous soon enough danstar will become famous soon enough danstar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Mr_Ed View Post
    Your sensitivity should be low enough to track/aim well, but high enough to flick shot.
    this is why cl_mouseaccel is a good thing. you can have a low sense and maintain a high one for flicks and jumps etc.

Ok I get it now. I lowered my sens by a tiny bit but now it feels a bit weird.

Senior Member Dr_Mr_Ed will become famous soon enough Dr_Mr_Ed's Avatar
    It will take time to adjust.

BTW, I sent over a friend invite. If we're ever on the same time, I'd be happy to walk you through some more stuff. I'm not the best in the world, but have improved from playing just insta over to Tier 2 CA and now T4+ CA.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Mr_Ed View Post
    It will take time to adjust.

BTW, I sent over a friend invite. If we're ever on the same time, I'd be happy to walk you through some more stuff. I'm not the best in the world, but have improved from playing just insta over to Tier 2 CA and now T4+ CA.
    Ok Thanks alot.

How do you strafe around corners if posibble?

+ Reply to Thread