+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Quake Tips?

Hybrid View

Senior Member eduguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Question Quake Tips?

Please give me some tips for quake. I am doing really bad.
    Thx

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eduguy View Post
    Please give me some tips for quake. I am doing really bad.
    Thx
    Check the QL guide here: http://www.quakelive.com/forum/showt...ake-Live-Guide

Pay close attention when you play, every event is feedback from the game about what you're doing right/wrong.

In game help? Aiming?

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    In game help? Aiming?
    With the RL, only move the mouse when you are going to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorfa View Post
    With the RL, only move the mouse when you are going to shoot.
    Why should you do that?

Senior Member SHAKEANDBAKE has a little shameless behaviour in the past
    Why should you do that?
    he's only joking

Why should you do that?
    It forces you to predict where your shot should go before you shoot.

It causes you to be more familiar with your sensitivity since you are constantly comparing your turns with their intended target.

It helps you to focus on dodging between the reload time.

It helps foster an ideal mental approach to hitscans as the difference between them and the projectile weapon RL is felt in a unique way.

It gives your opponent less information to dodge your rockets with since you won't necessarily be looking where you are going to shoot in advance every time.

It causes you to be more familiar with your sensitivity since you are constantly comparing your turns with their intended target.

It helps foster an ideal mental approach to hitscans as the difference between them and the projectile weapon RL is felt in a unique way.

It gives your opponent less information to dodge your rockets with since you won't necessarily be looking where you are going to shoot in advance every time.
    Are you still joking?

Senior Member BuzzBlade is on a distinguished road
    Play for fun. If your angry and frustrated you will lose your cool and fail in aim, jump, logical choices.

Spectate others.

Support your team in team modes more. Often times it isn't your single awesomeness, but your teamies that have your back that win the round. ( I'm guilty of not doing this enough :P )

Don't blame or put down your team, this is denial of the quakelive culture, where quiters, joiners, trollers, haters, campers, and people who don't want to shuffle all love to see the world burn and take it out here, and it isn't much different in other games. Imbalance happens, but if you are playing for win, and not for challenge, your gonna rage.

Join higher tier games when they don't mind.

Join the losing team when someone quits and they are one man down. You rarely gain much on the winning team in terms of challenge, and if your constantly challenging yourself on a losing team, STILL TRYING and not pissin about, you will get on the level of those who are better than you quicker. If you don't believe your a winner, your already a loser by default.

Don't ever expect to get better than your mentors. It might happen, but they have been here longer, and every bit of experience you gain, they are still gaining skill too. They need your skill to improve theirs, don't dismiss the value you bring to the game. They won't admit this to you.

Major plethora of videos on youtube to highlight any of your movement needs.

Shorten your strafe jump timing to the point your missing jumps from pressing it too early. You lose speed spacing the jumps too far. Don't over emphasize the first strafe angle, and following angles in general. I over angled for the longest time.

Practice maps are for practice, not gameplay skill. Practicing strafing in game w/ maps that are not straight paths and enemies that kill you is a whole different scenario.

Try to achieve 125fps if you can, I have to lower graphics settings to do this on a machine that can run ps3 games just fine..., and if you can't get 125, see if you have a video syncing feature to make smooth drawing to the screen.

Turn off background applications that use the internet and/or have high CPU activity prior to gameplay. Clear browser cookies.

Wear stereo headphones, turn on doppler sounds if off.

Quote Originally Posted by RaTB View Post
    Just wish QL would improve the mac plugin, every time i play i get QL crash at least once
    Quote Originally Posted by SquirrlWrangler View Post
    I find it too inconvenient to boot into Windows just to play Quakelive, so I tolerate the frequent crashes with the Mac plugin. Given the growing market share of Macs (over 11%?), I'm somewhat surprised that Id hasn't spent more time polishing the Mac plugin.
    Install windows on a usb stick. Google "Windows usb install" and boot from that instead of the partition mess if dual boot partitioning is your issue.

I'm surprised to hear about mac complaints, and sometimes I wonder if mac users expect everything on a silver platter. I have no trouble w/ linux plugin on gentoo, and mac/linux are both based on unix/bsd, and many of their problems and solutions are similar in nature. I did have to find some extra answers on my own though.

Do you mac users who experience crashes every check your /var/log for error messages? I had to solve a couple issues w/ OpenGL and some shared libraries, but nothing quakelive is responsible for.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikaruga View Post
    You don't have 10cm? :O

Don't care about the k/d ratio and the stat, forget it asap. It's a game so just play it and have fun, if you like it just camp a location with a rail and try to shoot ppl, or go to the Xmas terra map and just put mines to everywhere, don't care about what others say or if your K/d is low, just play and have fun... if you are not rude or abusive, you have every right to play the game as you want and how you like it.

Skill will slowly come over time and I can tell you that it's a very rewarding experience, nothing like with the other games, so don't worry about anything, just play
    I agree 110%, just camp and feed your frag desire. Hide around corners and wait w/ gaunt. Spam taunts at ragers. Do what makes you happy, I bet most people aren't paying attention to anyone but the top players anyhow. If your not smiling y r you playing? Anyone putting you down for being worse than them is shallow, not worth listening to, and prolly trying to dismiss their own insecurity of skill. I'm notorious for screwing around and not being serious. I have more fun when losing.

Nice perspective Lorfa. I think this has a few points that can be applied to railgun as well.
    Last edited by BuzzBlade; 01-01-2013 at 12:34 AM.

+ Reply to Thread