+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Should i learn jump with mouse?

*Xaquun

Should i learn jump with mouse?

been using space but u noticed some people use mouse2 to jump and say its a lot better when u master it. my concern is that does it break your aim when u need control two actions same time with mouse? Well i dont jump and shoot too much anyway.

Senior Member NEPHIREM is on a distinguished road NEPHIREM's Avatar
    Well, if space works for you then there is no need to change it. Personally I prefer mouse2 for jumping. Before that I used numpad 0 (I move around with arrow keys, not wasd) and it was a pain to strafe like that.

*Icey_Pain
    The idea behind jumping with the mouse is that the mouse2 button takes less effort to press than spacebar. Personally I prefer having the movement keys on one hand, shooting keys on the other hand. Which means I use the spacebar for jump, and the mouse2 for zoom.

Senior Member Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough
    Spacebar is better, mouse2 is easier.

Now if you're already used to spacebar and it doesn't hinder you, there's no point in forcing a change. Learn strafe jumping and don't bother with tiny details such as which key setup is the bestest

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey_Pain View Post
    The idea behind jumping with the mouse is that the mouse2 button takes less effort to press than spacebar.
    I disagree. The idea behind it is imo to coordinate jumps with mouse movements more easily.

m2 jump user here.

Senior Member Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough Limbless_Pony will become famous soon enough
    Except you mostly don't have to coordinate these two.

Senior Member Dr_Mr_Ed will become famous soon enough Dr_Mr_Ed's Avatar
    I'm a mouse 2 jumper as well. It greatly helped both my strafing and rocket jumping. Now I use Space to zoom, which I've found pretty natural.

Junior Member riesig is on a distinguished road riesig's Avatar
    This is a very good topic. My advice to any new Quake Live player is always... set mouse 2 to jump. You may not like it at first, but give it a week or two then you'll love it. What about zoom? Junk it for awhile until you learn how to strafe. I might program the zoom button on certain maps if I decide to play as Base D.

The number one trait that sets Quake Live so far apart from any other game out there is the "character's forward momentum gained by a proper strafe jumping technique." (This is what makes Quake Live the grand daddy of all e-sports) Finding your strafe jump is almost like a golfer mastering a golf swing. Strafe Jumping gives you a feeling of speed very similar to the experiance of parachuting or even riding a fast motorcycle.

Take the time to learn how to play with jump as Mouse 2. View some YouTube videos on strafe jumping. Install the defrag mod on Quake Live. Go into an empty server and practice the hard jumps in maps like Campgrounds, Campers Crossings, Troubled Waters.

Other facts about Mouse 2:
    *) The majority of Team Based QL players use M2 for jump.
    *) Flag runners in CTF sometimes use the jump button more than the shoot button.
    *) You will naturally strafe jump alot faster with M2 as jump.
    *) Rocket Jumping will be very easy with M2 as jump.
    *) It is technically easier to hold left or right strafe jump buttons while pressing foreward at the same time pressing M2 on every jump. (vs the Space Bar)

Tip to check your improvments: In settings turn on your speedometer to measure your speed. There are 4 different speedometers to pick from.

We all know Quake Live is the best FPS out there, but we need help to fill the CTF servers. There is a great new CTF map called "Infinity" as well as alot of other great CTF maps. Please take the time to invite a good friend of yours to our community.

Try out a full subscription to the game, it is not alot of money and you get alot of very cool features. In addition you are supporting a game developer team that keeps improving this game every way they can.

GLnHF

riesig / xaer01
    Last edited by riesig; 11-22-2012 at 06:29 AM. Reason: added more info

Senior Member kristus is on a distinguished road kristus's Avatar
    Personally I use Mouse1 for jump and shoot with space. I started doing this mostly because I felt it was problematic to do the movement and jumping properly with just the one hand. But also because I wanted to free up muscles on my mouse hand when shooting tracking weapons like LG.

Senior Member kryty will become famous soon enough kryty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kristus View Post
    Personally I use Mouse1 for jump and shoot with space.
    You're not the only one. At first it felt really weird and sometimes I just kept jumping when trying to kill someone. But now I prefer it over the basic setup.
    My greasemonkey scripts
    [ Linkify Quake Live chat links ][ Chat in Quake Live Welcome screen ][ All Quake Live chat messages to left ]
    [
    Quake Live Custom map launcher ][ Windowed mode background color changer and white box remover ]

[If you approve my efforts in the message above, +rep me : ) (the star/badge on lower left corner of the message)]

+ Reply to Thread