+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 120hz Monitor Recommendation

Member Scorpwolf is on a distinguished road
    The input lag on the BenQ XL2410T is 5.6ms actually not 13ms..

but anyways so what is more important for ql overall?..having lower input lag on the monitor or having the 120hz?..would it be worth looking for another monitor with less input lag or the Samsung is fast enough for QL?

Senior Member Adderall will become famous soon enough Adderall's Avatar
    what else are you going to use it for,answer that and you will know which one to get
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/member.php?38883-sectionate

Amd 8350 - 4816.08 MHz on air
    Crosshair V
    Asus GTX660 DirectCU

Quote Originally Posted by Undertaker12 View Post
    Thank you. You're video is ok... you need a better cfg than that, and you should try using electronic songs like my movie.

Junior Member siggy is on a distinguished road siggy's Avatar
    Without hesitation, but with a bit of bias I recommend the DELL Ultrasharp U2312HM LED monitor. It is an IPS display with an average input lag of 0.6ms and a response time of 8ms. The monitor is damn near as responsive as my old Mitsubishi Diamondtron CRT monitor. Sure it doesn't have 120hz, but it isn't necessary because of the instant responsiveness of this monitor.

Senior Member jigglyboobs is on a distinguished road
    Isn't there at least one monitor with both low input lag and 120 Hz? I have a viewsonic vx22 something 120 Hz. It has great smoothness but too often my shots sail right through enemies.

If cost was no object, what would you guys get that can still fit on a desktop?

How about this one?

http://wecravegamestoo.com/forums/ga...or-review.html
    Last edited by jigglyboobs; 12-05-2012 at 12:20 PM.

Those 120hz monitors look nice, I suppose it practically eliminates ghosting. But, it looks as though they have input lag of around 20-30ms unless I read the chart incorrectly. You ideally want a balance of both low input lag and response time. The input lag would attribute to the responsiveness as to when, for example, you click your mouse and when it would register on screen.

Senior Member jigglyboobs is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by siggy View Post
    Those 120hz monitors look nice, I suppose it practically eliminates ghosting. But, it looks as though they have input lag of around 20-30ms unless I read the chart incorrectly. You ideally want a balance of both low input lag and response time. The input lag would attribute to the responsiveness as to when, for example, you click your mouse and when it would register on screen.
    I think the chart you are referring to is just showing the accuracy of different measurement methods for input lag. He has the exact same chart with the same numbers in a lot of his reviews.

In the actual benchmarks against the CRT the Asus shows 0 lag. Of course, I think that also has to do with how the video card outputs the two video signals, so it's probably still not perfect.

Junior Member 4rm0r is on a distinguished road
    This thread is a couple months old now but Im wondering did you buy anything yet and how did it turn out?

Ive been considering the dell s2330mx also as I want to get my CRT off my desk and I really cant stand the lag i feel on the few older LCD's i have. I took photo of this old LCD vs CRT and its usually appears to be 1 frame delayed but sometimes the photo shows the same frame I think because the CRT is interlaced so it has to draw even and then odd rows of pixels in two separate passes that can muck up photo's like this. Anyway just this 1 frame delay and ghosting really makes me suffer compared to the CRT I feel.

Many people are not aware of the LCD input lag. I think there is much hype around what a 120hz will do for your quake game but much of this come from people who aren't aware of the lag problems.

Ive watched TV on my mates screen. Don't know what Hz it is but at least 100 and it is a very fluid motion picture after being used to 60hz. Still personally I would take 60hz with no lag than 120hz with some lag.

Ive heard mostly good things said about the lag of dell s2330mx, and some bad things said about its picture quality. A couple people did say it felt almost as good as a CRT (people who were trying to replace CRT) to use but Im not sure I trust that. I will have to buy and try myself and it is a risk that I will want to put it back in its box and grab out the CRT.

Im happy with the CRT at 60hz and think id be happy @ 60hz on LCD if it does not feel like you see stuff after it happens. 120hz would surely be better but maybe not worth paying around 2x as much for a screen that has it. Id guess its better to buy a $170 screen and hope its useable than to take the same gamble on a $450 screen but I doubt anybody could say for sure without owning all these different screens, even then its somewhat and individuals preferences.

Member Scorpwolf is on a distinguished road
    I ended up buying the Samsung S23A700D for $300 on sale..it's around $400 now..from my experience with it..yes there's a big difference between 60hz and 120hz..it's much smoother and it's very noticeable but if you have any other lag problems this won't solve your problems..i bought this monitor thinking it will fix my lag issues and well it did fix some of it but not all..so i'm not too happy about spending that much money on a monitor just to "partially" fix some of the lag problems..
    I wouldn't recommend spending $400 on a 120hz monitor just to play ql unless you don't have any other lag issues (connection, routing, video or whatever) with the game at all..otherwise it's not really worth it..

I might even sell mine if i can't fix the lag issues that i still have with this game..

Senior Member cityy is on a distinguished road
    The BenQ XL2420t and the XL2411t are said to be the best high frequency monitors out there from what I have noticed.
    I bought a xl2420t and I am more than happy. The 2411t even does 144Hz though.

Quote Originally Posted by cityy View Post
    The BenQ XL2420t and the XL2411t are said to be the best high frequency monitors out there from what I have noticed.
    I bought a xl2420t and I am more than happy. The 2411t even does 144Hz though.
    I have since changed my opinion of the Dell u2312hm IPS monitor (which is great for accurate colors and photography editing) to what cityy has just mentioned. The BenQ XL2411T followed by the XL2420T are the best balanced monitors on the gaming market. They both have 120hz native input refresh, extremely low input lag and good colors and contrast ratios.

Recently, some people on the Net, namely Mark Rejhon, have discovered that these certain 120hz monitors have a lightboost technology which stemmed from 3d. This Lightboost when properly activated, strobes the back light similar to how a CRT monitor does and achieves CRT monitor smoothness aka zero motion blur. I would consider this a breakthrough and while the steps to activate the lightboost are somewhat tedious, the outcome is definitely worth it.

Current 120hz Monitors that support this: ASUS VG728H, ASUS VG278HE, BENQ XL2420T, BENQ XL2411T

You can follow the careful steps here on Mark's website: http://marky.com/backlight/lightboost-zero-motion-blur/

Also, I know there are several other threads in other forums he has posted about this in (overclockers.uk , hardocp, 120hz.net, etc).

Cheers,

+ Reply to Thread