+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I've almost given up on Quake

*Easki

I've almost given up on Quake

Hello, I've tried to install Quake on 4 different computers (including my new gaming computer) and every time I have run into major bug after major bug that has wrecked my experience. I've tried finding solutions to all these bugs on the Forums but every time I think I've finally alleviated them all and can finally start playing, another problem happens and I spend another 3-4 hours trying to solve it. Some of these bugs also seem to occur over-night - when I go to play the game the next day, I find a nasty surprise, like suddenly having all my custom map keys and settings removed, not being able to bind keys to the mouse wheel or not being able to access practice sessions.

I'm really torn because this seems like a really nice community and at the rare times that I've been able to play Quake problem free I've really enjoyed it, but I'm coming to the end of my patience.

I'm 15, not overtly computer savvy and I have exams and other things going on and trying to fix the problems and learn how to prevent them is really eating into my time and soul. I'm not sure if Quake Live is really as buggy as it appears to be to me or if I've been REALLY unlucky. I am in no way trying to troll, make people angry or waste anyone's time, I'd just like some advice as to whether QL is worth the frustration that I'm experiencing.

Also, here are some glitches which I've consistently encountered and haven't found a way to combat:

*Can't do practice mode
    *Can't bind Mouse Wheel
    *Game deletes my custom key mapping
    *Game deletes some of my settings
    *Can't find some maps ANYWHERE in the drop-down menus (even Standard Maps i.e. Hektic)
    *Quake Live sometimes crashes
    *Can't get onto some servers (even non-Premium servers)

Thanks for your time and I will be grateful for any help.

Senior Member Ikaruga is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Easki View Post
    Hello, I've tried to install Quake on 4 different computers (including my new gaming computer) and every time I have run into major bug after major bug that has wrecked my experience. I've tried finding solutions to all these bugs on the Forums but every time I think I've finally alleviated them all and can finally start playing, another problem happens and I spend another 3-4 hours trying to solve it. Some of these bugs also seem to occur over-night - when I go to play the game the next day, I find a nasty surprise, like suddenly having all my custom map keys and settings removed, not being able to bind keys to the mouse wheel or not being able to access practice sessions.

I'm really torn because this seems like a really nice community and at the rare times that I've been able to play Quake problem free I've really enjoyed it, but I'm coming to the end of my patience.

I'm 15, not overtly computer savvy and I have exams and other things going on and trying to fix the problems and learn how to prevent them is really eating into my time and soul. I'm not sure if Quake Live is really as buggy as it appears to be to me or if I've been REALLY unlucky. I am in no way trying to troll, make people angry or waste anyone's time, I'd just like some advice as to whether QL is worth the frustration that I'm experiencing.

Also, here are some glitches which I've consistently encountered and haven't found a way to combat:

*Can't do practice mode
    *Can't bind Mouse Wheel
    *Can't find some maps ANYWHERE in the drop-down menus (even Standard Maps i.e. Hektic)

I feel your disappointment, many of my steam friends who I invited to QL failed to play even just one game while we played all kind of other games together for years, so their computers are fine.
    But I think that doesn't mean there are no solutions to your problems, so don't give up just yet, because Quake is an awesome game

Did you read the sticky threads in the tech support section of the forum?
    Can you provide a dxdiag.txt for us? (you may delete any sensitive info ofc)
    Last edited by Ikaruga; 11-17-2012 at 11:33 AM.

Senior Member intheway will become famous soon enough intheway's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Easki View Post

*Can't do practice mode
    *Can't bind Mouse Wheel

Suggest you re-post this in the technical help forum. In that post, put your system specs, operating system, etc. The mousewheel binding issue and losing game settings should be solveable with a personalized config file and an autoexec file.

Have you tried looking thru these threads...
    http://www.quakelive.com/forum/forum...etting-Started
    http://www.quakelive.com/forum/showt...contains-FIXES
    Last edited by intheway; 11-17-2012 at 01:06 PM.
    Sometimes I wonder...
    "Why is that frisbee getting bigger?"
    Then it hits me.

Senior Member ShaZe is on a distinguished road ShaZe's Avatar
    Install QLPrism, it resolve most issues people are experimenting when attempting to use the QL plugins on their defaults browsers and allow you to have a browser dedicated to QL only.

+ Reply to Thread