+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The quake tragedy

Senior Member megaman3 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Shase View Post
    What! Come on, thats so naive. The servers are not spawned as new servers, the "servers" that you create are simply games hosted on machines that have been set up as Quake live servers, it is the same as hosting a custom match in starcraft. All it costs is the bandwidth that you use, the same as any other server, how would any servers survive so long if they were like you think??

Why stop there? Why not pay $100, if you're working and can't afford $100 there's also something very wrong, or what about the WoW pricing model, people pay that just fine so why not $12 a month for QL too? This is basically what youre saying "I don't mind paying $10 for a something thats worth $1 because its still affordable". And in your example of the apple, if I go to 1 store and they are charging me $4 for an apple as opposed to 50c, I don't not buy it because I can't afford the apple, I go to another store and buy it for a reasonable price because $4 for an apple is a *&@!!$ rip-off.

And please stop the arguments about the player base being large people, I mean gzuz, a couple hundred to a few thousand players across the entire world playing at any time and you talk about things being fine and this business model working great? Are you kidding me? Wake up, quake is legendary, this series should be the biggest title at major events, it should be watched by tens of thousands of people and hundreds of thousands to MILLIONS of players should be competing in all game types, THATS what quake deserves, but this community is satsified because they have 3 full servers to choose from, i mean what in holy lucifer are you guys smoking??
    This is what a quality q3 server costs. It is not the same as hosting a sc2 server for one match, as you should know. http://maverickservers.com/game_hosting.html
    Then again $48 give you one premium sub + 5 invites (pseudo 6 accounts total) + spawning servers whenever and wherever you want in the world. Tell me 1 (one) game of this business model ("freemium" or "subscription based) that is cheaper than QL and/or that gives more to non-paying players the minute they join the game. I'm telling you there is none, but Q3/QL players are used to pirating everything.
    About pricing, what I'm saying is the exact opposite. A pro sub gives you hundreds if not thousands of dollars worth of benefits, for just $48. You just didn't know.

Well we had events with tens of thousands of people watching QL, you just didn't know, and "e-sports" don't work like you said: it's not about them being legendary (otherwise QW would be the hottest thing) but it is all (and I mean all) about marketing and sponsorship. There's simply no much money nor players involved (both as in millions) in QL so everything is community-made and it achieved remarkable things in QL (it made to eurosports ffs).
    And there are about 4m accounts. You won't find many games with that many, or many games with that many active players (lets say 50k to be on the safe side) that are this old (1999) or that much alive competition wise (including online and offline tournaments QL and how prizes are distributed [1v1 instead of 5v5], Q3 and QL have always been ahead CS. You just didn't know.).

And like ShaZe (with a Z) said, if you can't afford $2 or $24 then there's something very wrong and hf with spending money in other hobbies (hint: nothing is free in life). $24 is absurdly cheap for a year's worth of entertainment but you complain like it was a life or death situation instead of just paying.
    Last edited by megaman3; 11-19-2012 at 05:37 AM.

Junior Member ripuup is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by runnyunder View Post
    pro spawned servers are more populated, than standard servers which was one thing that pro subs and indeed prem subs didnt bother in the past to use their subscription as much as easier to get games on pub servers.. now pro spawned pub > pub due to the voting being still possible unless the op has removed voting

pro spawned prem > prem too in general. at the moment i see a lot of populated games of all game "main game types" ie not the "newer game types"

duel servers prem is populated more than the standard duel server

iCTF try #insta.ql pickup channel used to be popular not sure now, but insta = just rail praccy imo .. and in ctf adds straff praccy too

tdm fairly busy especially on the #tdmpickup channel which will be running a draft cup come 25th this nov with prizes see: http://www.esreality.com/post/234537...nament-series/

tdm in eu also has tdmpickup.ru and theres a few other games running too at the moment, try check all populated servers so the servers that are full actually show up, instead of what now appears to be standard if server is full doesnt show

currently as of post 4x FFA pro spawned servers, 14 servers in use (9 full)

ctf: pro spawned 5x servers 3 full 8 total

ca servers: pro spawned 24 normal 12 total 36

duel: too many to count

ft: 1 (lol)

tdm 4 normal 5 pro spawned

which imo was more than the update... especially on the pro spawned server side of things

im teir 4 at least in all modes... (currently) so i can't answer for teir 1/2/3 servers
    Now break that down even further BUDDY! Take for example your ca numbers 24 pro servers 12 normal, 36 total! How many of those PRO are EU as too NA! I bet you the numbers would break down like this....24 pro, 21 eu maybe 3 NA.

Senior Member runny is on a distinguished road
    sorry dude i only checked "in my vicinity" all were EU most of them were DE servers then NL then UK and RU / PL in order of amount..
    Last edited by runny; 11-19-2012 at 07:34 AM.

Producer SyncError will become famous soon enough SyncError will become famous soon enough SyncError's Avatar
    Limiting game time for standard accounts would be difficult to enforce, as it is free to create a new account. Players would simply create a new account every x minutes to bypass the restriction.

Junior Member Shase is an unknown quantity at this point
    This is what a quality q3 server costs. It is not the same as hosting a sc2 server for one match, as you should know.
    *sigh* I never said it was, I said spawning a QL server from a prem account is the same as hosting a sc2 match. It is simply a game hosted on a server thats already set up for QL.

It probably doesn help either that a lots of players are just plain cheap and would like to have everything handed to them on a silver plater, yes, just like you.
    Oh wow, cut me deep. I have paid for premium before, I paid it happily because the community was there, now I look at the servers in my country and I count 1 guy on a public CA server and 3 guys on a duel server for a total of 4 at 10 in the night and I'm supposed to pay $50 a year to what? To host my own server to invite 1 of 4 noobs to my game? You guys just don't get it, I'm not complaining the game is overpriced, I'm complaining that the game's pricing model is a large part of what is killing this game and ID are only making it worse. But stick to your ideals in supporting a company that will never take this game further than it is now and sit with your tiny whithering community till quake is just a story like duke nukem.

$24 is absurdly cheap for a year's worth of entertainment but you complain like it was a life or death situation instead of just paying.
    No, you peasants that take this attitude are the type of people that allow mediocrity to thrive. It's simply not good enough and people shouldn't be supporting ID, they should be so starved of income that they are forced to sell their Quake rights to a company that actually still develops games.
    Last edited by Sasparillo; 11-20-2012 at 05:57 PM.

Junior Member petershaw is an unknown quantity at this point
    just came back to have some fun duel with a friend after ~8 months of not touching this, and alas, it got even tier than before! back to cpm clanarena on dm6 to satisfy my yearly nostalgia-dose of quake i guess....

anyways, could't care less, ql sucked from the beginnning.
    Last edited by Sasparillo; 11-20-2012 at 05:57 PM.

Senior Member SHAKEANDBAKE has a little shameless behaviour in the past
    but you came back didn't you......troll

Junior Member petershaw is an unknown quantity at this point
    curiosity. like looking at the scene of a car crash

Senior Member quakestreme is on a distinguished road
    People who look at car crashes don't stop and get out and stick their necks in and start commenting about how they would never get in one unless they want a punch in the face.

I hate the changes but it doesn't make sense that you wouldn't care in any way and yet come here complaining about it. What do we care about your "satisfy my yearly nostalgia-dose of quake"... why would we care about how much or little you play it.... ridiculous.
    Aways ensure you are maintaining a high FPS rate in QL. Otherwise you can be at a big disadvantage. To find out your current fps rate, use the command: "set cg_drawfps "1"".

Senior Member DragQueen is on a distinguished road
    Yes, let's limit it so you can only handle 3 weapons as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SHAKEANDBAKE View Post
    but you came back didn't you......troll
    Sir, may I ask you to look at your reputation. Thank you kind sir.
    Last edited by DragQueen; 11-20-2012 at 12:54 PM.

+ Reply to Thread