+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The quake tragedy

Junior Member Shase is an unknown quantity at this point

The quake tragedy

I go away for a year and come back to people telling me I can't duel anymore unless I have prem, I can't even play decent CA maps anymore without prem, most of my dueling partners have stopped playing, most of the CA crowd have stopped playing. What the hell man?

I wouldn't be oppossed to buying prem again if I felt like I was getting my moneys worth, but $50 for a years subscription to a game based on a decade+ old game engine with a dying community which has been forced into the business model of 'make the free offering as **** as possible to force people into giving us money' because of probably the worst decision making a high end gaming company has ever made.

ID must be kicking themselves in the nuts. They have this fantastic game design that has lasted through the ages with a name as popular and well known as Quake and failed to make any real profit in the last few years and are now forcing people into paying for something they had years ago by removing so much of the game in the free version. If the only way to make a profit in your company is to make other things you have **** on purpose, you have failed, you have failed hardcore because it guarantees no future growth now that you have alienated new players completely.

ID treats quake like a zealot fighting 3 stalkers, you know the zealot is dead, it has no chance so the only thing to do is to send it after the weakest stalker and hope the guy isn't paying attention.

Let me tell you ID how to get back into the business. Take quake pretty much exactly like it is now, throw it in some fancy as **** new engine with super duper lights and ****, add in a new gun to make things a touch more interesting, but not something as dumb as that nail or mine whatever gun or those other stupid guns no one cares about. Add in something that has a place and a purpose. Look at UT for inspiration because you clearly have no ****ing inspiration of your own. Throw in an XP system to reward players with progression like any popular game these days and then throw in a matchmaking system as good as Blizzards or LoL/hon or whatever on top of dedicated server supprt. Throw in mod tools, Call it quake 5 and be proud to be ID again.

Junior Member smajdah is an unknown quantity at this point
    Haha spot on. And those people who say like "I can understand that $1.67/mo can compromise your ability to pay your bills (if you have any) and live a satisfactory life." it's just silly. I don't wanna pay for a map... like dm6, when i only play now and then (like many others).

I wonder how ID Software feels? Killing a game? Must feel nice.. those genius people who came up with the great idea to make people pay for maps they got for free before.. (q3, cpm and so on)

Oh yeah.. i remember when it came out. "Quake live! Totally free!" Yeah right.. then came the changes and people dissapeared. Killing popular freeze tag games, maps and so on.. oh dear..

Senior Member runny is on a distinguished road
    the current subscription model appears to actually making the premium and pro servers a lot more populated and indeed a substantial increase of prem/pro players (partly due to crozars generousity) , public seems less busy. however complaining about maps, it now over time gives an even more extended map feature set, especially if users play on pro spawned servers more (which makes pro users happier) they still have the choice of map picking. pro accounts can invite 5 standard players also... and games in EU seem not to take that long to fill up lately compared to pre update 14...

throwing in mod tools, has been done with the new start a match feature set map making tools are available to download, it would be nice to able to play maps you make thou

it is my belief the changes have come to try to extend the games lifespan, hopefully upto the time that q5 comes out if it ever does..

Junior Member Jestan is an unknown quantity at this point Jestan's Avatar
    Well said, I'm pretty surprised at how I haven't seen much people complaining, it's like this game is full of 30 year old no life virgins that can't adapt to new games and can't let go of this one. ID has completely killed Quake and all that it stands for, not to mention the fact that the community is worse than ever, even the stream game casters suck badly. I have lost all of my faith on this game.
    FUS RO DAH

Junior Member smajdah is an unknown quantity at this point
    Quote Originally Posted by runnyunder View Post
    the current subscription model appears to actually making the premium and pro servers a lot more populated and indeed a substantial increase of prem/pro players (partly due to crozars generousity) , public seems less busy. however complaining about maps, it now over time gives an even more extended map feature set, especially if users play on pro spawned servers more (which makes pro users happier) they still have the choice of map picking. pro accounts can invite 5 standard players also... and games in EU seem not to take that long to fill up lately compared to pre update 14...

throwing in mod tools, has been done with the new start a match feature set map making tools are available to download, it would be nice to able to play maps you make thou

it is my belief the changes have come to try to extend the games lifespan, hopefully upto the time that q5 comes out if it ever does..
    More populated? Please.. yeah on duel maybe (because of "hardcore" players), but it's still way worse than it was before.. duel servers were full back then. There was a lot of other servers with CA, iCTF, TDM and such.. now there's nothing almost. Get real.

Senior Member runny is on a distinguished road
    pro spawned servers are more populated, than standard servers which was one thing that pro subs and indeed prem subs didnt bother in the past to use their subscription as much as easier to get games on pub servers.. now pro spawned pub > pub due to the voting being still possible unless the op has removed voting

pro spawned prem > prem too in general. at the moment i see a lot of populated games of all game "main game types" ie not the "newer game types"

duel servers prem is populated more than the standard duel server

iCTF try #insta.ql pickup channel used to be popular not sure now, but insta = just rail praccy imo .. and in ctf adds straff praccy too

tdm fairly busy especially on the #tdmpickup channel which will be running a draft cup come 25th this nov with prizes see: http://www.esreality.com/post/234537...nament-series/

tdm in eu also has tdmpickup.ru and theres a few other games running too at the moment, try check all populated servers so the servers that are full actually show up, instead of what now appears to be standard if server is full doesnt show

currently as of post 4x FFA pro spawned servers, 14 servers in use (9 full)

ctf: pro spawned 5x servers 3 full 8 total

ca servers: pro spawned 24 normal 12 total 36

duel: too many to count

ft: 1 (lol)

tdm 4 normal 5 pro spawned

which imo was more than the update... especially on the pro spawned server side of things

im teir 4 at least in all modes... (currently) so i can't answer for teir 1/2/3 servers

Senior Member dji1 is on a distinguished road
    "a decade+ old game engine"

so freaking what?

name me another popular fps game you can play at 125 frames a sec. You cant.
    12 yr engine? so what. en D3 engine was leaked way back in 2002 yet ppl seem strangely impressed with %*itty games like slender.
    Go figure!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvf7PUx1mY0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zFZ32ZWj2I
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlWZluzBNxM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjZA0cyPnA0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUzi832Me2U

Senior Member megaman3 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Shase View Post
    Look at UT for inspiration because you clearly have no ****ing inspiration of your own.
    Look at where the UT series is right now in comparison with QL: UT (including all of them) literally has 1% of QL's population, and fans of the series don't like the latest games of the franchise.

To show all servers you have to put the filter "all populated" and play with "premium" and other settings because with the default ones it does not show all of them. "All populated" displays full servers (you know, where there's people playing lol. In my location that alone displays 2x more populated servers), "premium" shows more premium servers, and if the list is full then it can't display all of them so you have to sort them with specific gametypes (populated duel in europe alone exceeds the limit) and settings.
    That won't show all servers anyway because you can only see the ones of your tier/skillrating, so if you are tier4 you can't see tier3, tier2 and tier1 servers.

As for the competitive scene, this is what is on this week including $1400 total on different online one-day tournaments/cups (note online). UT does not even have 5% of that competitive activity, let alone the quality of competition we've had since 2008 (QL).
    http://www.esreality.com/post/234300...-ql-12-18-nov/
    Plus irc channels (someone posted it above but there are more) and so on. And Next week dh \o/

edit: and the game is $24, not 50. That's the price of 1 LoL skin (videogame clothing. Character sold separately out of 100) or 1 iracing circuit (plus the $100 a year subscription just to play the game, then you have to add buying individual circuits and cars on top of that because with with just the sub alone you unlock like 10% of the game).
    Last edited by megaman3; 11-18-2012 at 07:38 AM.

Junior Member Shase is an unknown quantity at this point
    Quote Originally Posted by megaman3 View Post
    Look at where the UT series is right now in comparison with QL
    Take one line completely out of context and base an entire argument on something that wasn't even said, great. I was talking about getting an inspiration for creating a single new weapon, UT has interesting weapons that work in a competitive environment, clown.

edit: and the game is $24, not 50
    No, I play in a country with a small player base, if you can't create your own servers you can't play properly, its $50 or nothing.

I dont give a flying *(&!@!@ about how populated premium servers are, of COURSE they are more populated, all players on free servers have been FORCED to pay for prem now because the free game has been destroyed so obviously prem is more populated ?@!

Picture this, there are 8 players playing QL on public servers, 2 on prem, game removes free servers, half of them decide fine theyll pay, prem now has 6 but youve lost 4 players, so what is your point? Id makes more money but the community loses.

Senior Member megaman3 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Shase View Post
    Take one line completely out of context and base an entire argument on something that wasn't even said, great. I was talking about getting an inspiration for creating a single new weapon, UT has interesting weapons that work in a competitive environment, clown.

No, I play in a country with a small player base, if you can't create your own servers you can't play properly, its $50 or nothing.

I dont give a flying *(&!@!@ about how populated premium servers are, of COURSE they are more populated, all players on free servers have been FORCED to pay for prem now because the free game has been destroyed so obviously prem is more populated ?@!

Picture this, there are 8 players playing QL on public servers, 2 on prem, game removes free servers, half of them decide fine theyll pay, prem now has 6 but youve lost 4 players, so what is your point? Id makes more money but the community loses.
    $48 is one sub + being able to invite 5 more people (so kind of 6 subs total) + being able to spawn servers all over the world (you won't believe how expensive is to do that. If you use it frequently it's thousands of dollars for $48 and those give you 6 subs too).
    So yeah, it's $24 and with that you really get absolutely nothing in other games using this business model.}, let alone what $48 gets you.
    And if you can't pay $24 or $48 there's something wrong anyway. Hint: money gets you things and everyone works for money. No one goes to the supermarket and starts a riot because apples cost money, but just buy it and if they can't afford it well bad luck.

Well people would eat more french fries and vodka if those were free. And seems like you didn't open the 2 links posted on this thread: QL is more alive than ever since 2010, and content was lacking a lot by that time. The only mod that suffered was duel, because there's no free ztn 24/7, and it went from 4.5k to 3.5k daily matches (qlranks, which is now fixed so it tracks accurately) so it didn't exactly die.

You can play UT if you want, with the 5 remaining players. Or hf participating in their "competitive environment"....in which they are happy they got 1 (one) tournament with prizes as a rare exception happening soon. Or any of the fast paced fps genre: all are dead except QL, which isn't by any means if you look at the said 2 links (it's almost cs-like competitive activity, and that's another genre anyway).
    Last edited by megaman3; 11-18-2012 at 10:17 AM.

+ Reply to Thread