+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: can tier 3 server suddenly turn tier 4?

*Xaquun

can tier 3 server suddenly turn tier 4?

if tier 4 players join currently tier 3 server does it turn tier 4 server too? or are servers restricted? own servers for every tier? if im tier 4 i cant see tier 3 servers at all or how?

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    Nope. It used to work like this but then servers would just start low-tier and since people could down-tier the server's tier would increase and even better players could join, resulting into real newbies against good players.

Senior Member megaman3 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashSoul View Post
    Nope. It used to work like this but then servers would just start low-tier and since people could down-tier the server's tier would increase and even better players could join, resulting into real newbies against good players.
    What servers tiers are out there. I assumed it was tier1-tier2 and tier3-tier4 (so 2).

Senior Member Dr_Mr_Ed will become famous soon enough Dr_Mr_Ed's Avatar
    I can only see Tier 3 games when I have friends in them, but then when I mouse-over the game there's a big "X" that appears instead of a green check or orange "?". If I try to join, it halts at the load screen with a message of being outside the skill range for the server.

The only down-tier play possible now is in the Samplers, which I think are Tier 1 and Tier 3. So those Tier 3 matches can end up with some pretty high skill ratings, but they're still marked T3.

BTW, all this is just for non-duel types. I have no idea how tiers work in duel, and try to just look at Elo ratings there.

Senior Member Adderall will become famous soon enough Adderall's Avatar
    ca has a tier 2
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/member.php?38883-sectionate

Amd 8350 - 4816.08 MHz on air
    Crosshair V
    Asus GTX660 DirectCU

Quote Originally Posted by Undertaker12 View Post
    Thank you. You're video is ok... you need a better cfg than that, and you should try using electronic songs like my movie.

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by megaman3 View Post
    What servers tiers are out there. I assumed it was tier1-tier2 and tier3-tier4 (so 2).
    Not sure what you mean there. Apart from Samplers & duels, it works like this :
    Tier 1 servers can be joined by Tier 1 players.
    Tier 2 servers can be joined by Tier 1 & 2 players.
    Tier 3 servers can be joined by Tier 1 & 2 & 3 players.
    Tier 4 servers can be joined by Tier 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 players.

Banned AutoMatiK is an unknown quantity at this point
    it bugs me. I know that as soon as I'll start up a server and be joined by 3 tier 3s the maths dictates that a tier 4 can join for no apparent reason, then the gates of hell are opened.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashSoul View Post
    Not sure what you mean there. Apart from Samplers & duels, it works like this :
    Tier 1 servers can be joined by Tier 1 players.
    Tier 2 servers can be joined by Tier 1 & 2 players.
    Tier 3 servers can be joined by Tier 1 & 2 & 3 players.
    Tier 4 servers can be joined by Tier 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 players.
    So there are 4 different server types based on skillrating?

Are there that many players left behind, since tier3 and downwards obviously don't know about the community? Actually most tier4s don't have a clue, for example probably no one of this forum watched the 2gd stream that happened just now.

Quote Originally Posted by megaman3 View Post
    Are there that many players left behind, since tier3 and downwards obviously don't know about the community?
    If I remember correctly, the active playerbase is distributed approximately like this :
    Tier 1 : 10%
    Tier 2 : 23%
    Tier 3 : 44%
    Tier 4 : 23%

As you point out, most tier 4 don't know much about the competitive scene. It should logically be much worse on that aspect on the lower tiers. That means only a small minority of Quake Live's playerbase actually care high-level competition.

Not just competition but everything that's going on, from simple things to knowing that "all populated = 2x servers" to having people in friend list so they can actually play the game. Communities are crucial in all games, otherwise people stop playing after a month tops.

+ Reply to Thread