+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rank Me! - Connect Me! - And My Game!

Member mezzer is on a distinguished road mezzer's Avatar

Cool Rank Me! - Connect Me! - And My Game!

Ahoy!

Could you please provide the following details on how ranking is established and determined?

1. Is it by connection speed and connection speed over time? or Not?
    2. Is it by hops to the server and connection speed over time? or Not?
    3. Is it by my hardware profile (my system specs)? or Not?
    4. Is it exclusively based upon my record of wins/vs/losses?
    5. Is it based upon the server resources available by the quake live network and my location? Or Not?
    6. Is it based upon my stats exclusively? If so is it based on total stats or stat change bursts?
    7. Is it based on changes over time?

Could you please provide the following details on how Connection affects Quake LIVE?

1. What is the low high-bar recommended network latency for quake live playability on a server in your ranking?
    2. What is the average amount of packet loss players experience from your network?
    3. Is the Quake LIVE network a dedicated network?
    4. Is the Quake LIVE network on or partially on a Cloud?

My Game -

Aside from standard updates that you're doing for your network. What changes are you making for my game, my love of quake, my dedication to quake, my interest in quake?
    oq meZZer

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    RANK
    I assume by "ranking" you are talking about the tiers and the skillrating.

1. Not.
    2. Not.
    3. Not.
    4. Not based on that at all.
    5. Not.
    6. Not based on weapon stats at all.
    7. No.

The system is pretty simple. You play a match. At the end of the match, the players are sorted by their score/timePlayed. The top third gain 4 (or something like this) skillrating, the bottom third lose 4 (or something like this) and the middle third remains unchanged. If your connection/hardware/whatever is bad, you will score less and have a better chance of losing skillrating.

CONNECTION

1. Low high-bar? I'm not sure what that means, but I can tell you that the lesser your ping the better. The game remains very playable up to around 80 ms.
    2. Can't help you with this one.
    3 & 4. Quake Live network? Dedicated network? Please clarify.

MY GAME

Me? Nothing. But id manages the servers, develop the website, add new options and gamemodes, correct bugs, create/buy maps and provide support.
    Last edited by FlashSoul; 11-15-2012 at 12:22 AM.

Thank You for the Details
    oq meZZer

Senior Member Adderall will become famous soon enough Adderall's Avatar
    mezzer - You wont any sort correct answer about the avg. amount of packetloss from players. With all the factors that go into play like users -> download/upload<-- important, isp routing, if they have malware or 15 different programs/plugins looking for updates. not sure if this is what your looking for
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/member.php?38883-sectionate

Amd 8350 - 4816.08 MHz on air
    Crosshair V
    Asus GTX660 DirectCU

Quote Originally Posted by Undertaker12 View Post
    Thank you. You're video is ok... you need a better cfg than that, and you should try using electronic songs like my movie.

I disagree. All network and game systems admins know: Average and absolute; connections, pings, ips, totals, latency, response, service availability, etc. We're past the day of early 2000's where companies can get away with not reporting or providing these types of details especially in comparison with the vast amount of user data and activity that companies and technology can provide. It would be more kind to just make a statement that ID won't offer this information as a part of their game suite. It's an easy problem to solve by just communicating what is available. Comon, it's a game right? And yes I do expect game companies to be much much further ahead of other technology limits.

|| Mezz
    oq meZZer

Senior Member Dr_Mr_Ed will become famous soon enough Dr_Mr_Ed's Avatar
    I see your point here Mezz, but QL is probably unique compared to other hosted games you're familiar with. My understanding is that while the central QL website is operated directly by ID, the server locations are essentially outsourced to other hosts. This likely means that most of the locations each will have their own hardware/connection/uptime/bandwidth/etc values and can change at a moment's notice. Trying to keep all this information up to date would take a lot of effort for virtually no benefit, as your own network is a key variable too.

If you're curious/worried about connections to specific servers, there are tools like the QL Pinger tool and tracert for you to discover much information that's relevant for your connection to the servers.

So yes. ID outsourced servers are also known as "CLOUD SERVERS"?

Now to my point. If you're going to put a really good game like quake (quake live << whatever you want to call it (Quake)) on a CLOUD, then please up the money and the team that has the salt to hold it, otherwise go back to dedicated servers. Quake Deserves the best.

~|| meZZ
    oq meZZer

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    Quake live runs on dedicated servers (not vps or vm) which are provided by different Game Server Providers all around the world. They don't own the physical servers but they are dedicated nonetheless.

Thanks, Appreciate the confirmation.
    oq meZZer

+ Reply to Thread