+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Really bad marketing?

*Cherrypop

Really bad marketing?

Love the game, and love that a portion of it remains free but you might make a little more money if your advertising was targeted...

Everytime I log in over the last week I get the Betty White add for laundry detergent... Seriously... Are we the right demographic to push Betty White and bright white laundry detergent to?

I'd expect to see much more variety and target marketing.

Web Programmer sponge will become famous soon enough sponge will become famous soon enough sponge's Avatar
    Banner ads on the web are handled completely by Google AdSense save for a few in-house ads for Bethesda titles. We don't sell any ads ourselves, either web, pre-game video, or in-game, and thus don't directly control content.

Junior Member of_wax is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by sponge View Post
    Banner ads on the web are handled completely by Google AdSense save for a few in-house ads for Bethesda titles. We don't sell any ads ourselves, either web, pre-game video, or in-game, and thus don't directly control content.
    ... why not ?

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by of_wax View Post
    ... why not ?
    I guess it's because id software is a game/engine company. With all the information you give to Google, they are the ones that know best what to show you.

so id needs to pay google just to have that space blank or with their ads ?

*Cherrypop
    I'd suggest working with them so they know they're blowing up on your demographic. It's really not helping your game when the adds are non-sense and annoying and they likely aren't getting any hits.

Senior Member megaman3 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherrypop View Post
    I'd suggest working with them so they know they're blowing up on your demographic. It's really not helping your game when the adds are non-sense and annoying and they likely aren't getting any hits.
    What he said means you are right now getting targeted ads, handled by google. They aren't random ads but based on your browsing habits, google searches and so on.

That means you or your wife have been searching Betty White laundry detergent, while at the same time someone gets russian girls ads, gaming, etc.
    Last edited by megaman3; 11-14-2012 at 09:55 AM.

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by of_wax View Post
    As far as I know, Google AdSense is free (money-wise).

Web Programmer sponge will become famous soon enough sponge will become famous soon enough sponge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherrypop View Post
    AdSense is entirely automated-- there's nobody to work with. You can view the ad preferences it has determined at http://www.google.com/ads/preferences/?hl=en to view or edit any ad categories yourself.

+ Reply to Thread