+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to Revive QL!!

Hybrid View

Member Heafmo is on a distinguished road

How to Revive QL!!

-PLEASE MOVE TO GENERAL (not suggestions as this isn't currently aimed so directly at ID)

The largest problem here is educating everyone as a lot of people with standard accounts won't think to add people hosting servers, nor is it easy (compared to other online gaming platforms). Anyway, here goes.

Pro Members:

1. Download QLprism and make sure 'Auto-invite' script is enabled

2. Get a Wealthy friends list with Pro, Prem and Standard Accounts.

3. Create your IDEAL server, with the maps and gametype you want and/or think people want to play.

4. Go AFK and ADVERTISE YOUR SERVER (I dont know how we should do this, maybe via a thread, maybe in our profile biographies or another idea is by setting up a clan with a name to reflect this purpose, ie: TDM Games)

Standard Members:

See a Premium server you like the look of? Add the person hosting it, their name should be the title of the server, once accepted, send them a message saying 'invite' and you should receive one.

Premium Members:

You're a commitment phobe

JK, I just didn't see the point in premium with the way things are.. however with these steps we can make premium a whole lot more appealing because the hassle of friending and getting invites isn't there.

Please criticise constructively or otherwise, I'm sitting here feeling like I am Neo, the one, with the answer to everybody's nightmare so if this idea falls short, I'd love to know where.

GL HF

Yeah ID could just change it and give it all to us on a platter (which given this games age they probably should) but if we do things this way we'll create a much more admirable, personable and friendly community.

Owait.. maybe ClanArena considering ID completely blew off the whole casual TDM scene, forgot about that -_-

I've spawned a pro TDM server open to standard members to see if it actually populates.
    Last edited by Heafmo; 11-14-2012 at 01:45 AM.

*Embrosio
    "Go AFK and ADVERTISE YOUR SERVER"

Problem is i waste energy(not cheap here) if i were to do something like that.

That's very true, however once that server is populated it becomes self-sustaining.

I'm sure there are many more like me who has at least one computer on 24/7. Ideally you would play in the server once it's populated, it's just getting it populated in the first place. Quake also doesn't require a power hog to play well, let alone spawn a remote server. To me setting up a server and leaving myself in spectator is the least I can do to help the game when I'm not using the server for my own benefit.

Thanks Embrosio, Edited OP to make it not sound so energy inefficient. Fact is there's quite a few people with pro subscriptions and all it takes is more people to take the initiative once people notice the trend people might capitalise on said initiative, I don't expect that I'll make even a marginal difference unless this gives other people initiative because as it is a standard member does feel like 'Quake Live Demo'

Maybe if ID made it so empty spawned servers despawned after 1 hour instead of 15 minutes it wouldn't require you going afk for extended periods. (Which would, in theory, only really be neccessary in the teething stages of this concept)

Could any member of the QL/ID team support this with publicity if this gets the support from players?
    Last edited by Heafmo; 11-14-2012 at 01:42 AM.

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    Just for the record, I personally buy Premium as I don't *need* to spawn servers for myself. The Pro I have at the moment was gifted to me by another user to help CTF in North America (I haven't been able to do much as of yet though as I've had too much homework to worry about it)

I can't justify spending $24 additional per year when I hardly ever used the spawning feature. I never go over the 5 clans from Premium, so that's no issue either. There's literally nothing (for me) that justifies spending $24 more other than to support id (If I had a job and an easier ability to pay, I probably *would* get Pro just for that reason)

Also at the advertising: It's not that hard to go into IRC, paste the link and the information about it. All you need is <LINK> <LOCATION> <GAMETYPE>

That's fine Pikaluva, I'm not urging people to upgrade.

I am urging those with pro accounts to help grow the community and create some GG's

Also I'm urging education of newbies. I'm talking all those tier 1 scrubs even I can wipe the floor with (as a T2 CA player) in FFA. If these newbies are anything like I was for YEARS of quake lives existence, they won't have a clue about IRC and how it can help them (even then TDMpickup aren't happy about my presence as I'm not T3-4) These noobs are the kind of people that do wanna play TDM and CTF but that option currently just is not available!

We're talking giving standard accounts a free ride to the premium content at a small price of inconvenience. How can people expect quake to grow if they're moaning about standard players having the maps that they PAID FOARRRR! Elitist, arrogant absent minded youth of today.

I don't see why this shouldn't get some more support from ID. I know if I came into quake fully green, found all these cool gametypes going on that I couldn't get into and realised I had a choice to either seek friend requests from premium and pro members (can premium members invite standard members?) or just buy premium, I'd probably find the 20 which is 'acceptable' on a per year basis to eliminate the hassle.

40 is ridiculous for pro priveleges.. It's actually OBSCENE when you look at what Xbox live offers for 40 per year. (voice chats, intuitive and user-friendly everything, hell you can even play shadowrun demo online using a silver acct which is actually a baller game) I think 35 should be the absolute Maximum, I think it's worth it if I can help increase activity for EU servers.
    Last edited by Heafmo; 11-14-2012 at 03:09 AM.

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    Yeah, I also agree that $35 would be a better price point for Pro in my opinion. Also, you're tier 3 in CA just for the record :P
    Also, I came into QL from playing Pokemon Diamond/Platinum, and I came in with absolutely no experience. However, unlike a LOT of other gamers these days, I didn't just give up when losing. I continued to try and eventually got up to where I am now. I'm 20 years old and I'm disappointed all the time that "the youth" these days don't have a similar mindset. The intrinsic motivation was what kept me going. (From my KDR and accuracy, that is) To this day I'm still trying to improve, and I'm not afraid to play better people (Well...now I only play CTF and I can't really play the better people since they're all in pickups that I can't access without a mic...but that's beside the point :P) I still strive to improve in any game I play.

http://www.quakelive.com/forum/showt...546#post241546

Here's a Clan that consists of pro players willing to spawn servers and send invites out to free members. Maybe if this just got a bit more popularity? I feel like half the battle is getting all the people who make do with what's given to them for free aware of the options.

Senior Member danstar will become famous soon enough danstar will become famous soon enough danstar's Avatar
    @ heafmo, so you rep a clan that doesnt even do full charity?

i see 0 spawn clan member spawning servers for a while now, and even before that it was nothing that ever happend like it was promised, way to go.

What do you mean by doesn't do full charity?

Promises? We don't owe anyone anything, we're trying to do something for good rather than sitting on the forum criticising other peoples (in an nonconstructive manner, might I add) positive ideas to the end of growing quake live by opening up options to people.

It would help if ID would allow spawned servers to remain without players for 2 hours, it's a lot of hassle to manually check 15 minutes that your server is still running.

I created a server earlier today, managed to get to 4v4 and about 3 games were played happily yeah it was only a standard server but it's a start towards publicity for the concept. I'm sure the server would have filled again, but whilst everyone is playing, I went out to do something, when I got back the server was inactive.. all it takes is 10 minutes for no-one to join server and bam, server won't even be available for auto-invite.

It's also the responsibility of standard members to seek SPAWNers out. I'm trying to raise awareness of the initiative by advertising in ID servers.

I'm aware I've burst onto these subforums with nothing but romantic ideals and good intentions, if you're going to criticise, I beg you to to do it in a way that is constructive, I know you're capable of it Danstar, I've seen you be constructive...
    Last edited by Heafmo; 11-14-2012 at 12:58 PM.

Senior Member MexicanPadre is on a distinguished road
    @Heafmo, that kind of ridicule T1's and T2's face is what makes them leave quake forever. Everyone should stop calling T1's and T2's scrubs. I only ridicule people I've known for a while in a joking sort of manner. Don't make fun of them; help them. after a while you won't be able to find a T2 matched server, after all.

@Danstar, Don't cut on someone when your grammar is wrong. you people are probably the worst. people come onto these forums to get help, don't make them feel bad.

@pikaluva13, you don't need a mic to get nice at CTF. i'm t4 and i don't do that. I already know you're gonna look up my profile, go ahead. COME AT ME BRO.

+ Reply to Thread