Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Quake Live Gaming League

*alone
    europe ?
    and what about ca in europe ?

Junior Member TheCrow is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by exposed_ View Post
    Signed up for iCTF! !promote QLGL Play!
    Thanks for your continued support! We closed signups for CA Season 1 with a total of 34 teams. We are working on the divisions now for CA and the schedule will be up shortly! iCTF currently has 14 teams for Season 1.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by alone View Post
    europe ?
    and what about ca in europe ?
    Alone,

we definitely plan to expand into Europe within the near future. We want to ensure we have a clean and successful first season so we can facilitate growth for more mods and other regions. I will keep everyone posted once we get the ball rolling for the North America CA Season 1.

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    I have some concerns regarding the CA league..

I was under the impression that the league was 4v4. However per the Clan Arena League page at http://www.quakeliveleague.com/sign-up/ : "This league will feature teams of 5 to 8 players competing in weekly Clan Arena matches."

Making it 5v5 or larger has two major drawbacks:

1. Games will become more random.

2. It will be more difficult for teams to get the necessary number of players as 5 are required instead of 4, and it can be difficult to get 4 when there are availability problems, unless you have a large enough clan such that enough players are sure to be available.

3. Previous Clan Arena leagues in Europe featured 4v4 play, making it more of a standard.

4. Having games be "5 to 8 players" introduces a negotiation issue. Perhaps one team wishes to play a 7v7, another a 5v5. A dispute arises. How is this resolved?

The other concern I have is over the maps.

The map list as mentioned on the same page is as follows:

Almost Lost
    Asylum
    Campgrounds
    Corrosion
    Hellís Gate Redux
    Hidden Fortress
    Overkill
    Quarantine
    Three Story
    Trinity

Two of these maps, "Three Story" and "Hell's Gate Redux" are poorly suited for 4v4 play. At most these would work for 3v3, and more ideally for 2v2.

Removing these would still leave what is in my opinion, a large list of maps, there being 8 total.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorfa View Post
    I have some concerns regarding the CA league..

I was under the impression that the league was 4v4. However per the Clan Arena League page at http://www.quakeliveleague.com/sign-up/ : "This league will feature teams of 5 to 8 players competing in weekly Clan Arena matches."

Making it 5v5 or larger has two major drawbacks:

1. Games will become more random.

2. It will be more difficult for teams to get the necessary number of players as 5 are required instead of 4, and it can be difficult to get 4 when there are availability problems, unless you have a large enough clan such that enough players are sure to be available.

3. Previous Clan Arena leagues in Europe featured 4v4 play, making it more of a standard.

4. Having games be "5 to 8 players" introduces a negotiation issue. Perhaps one team wishes to play a 7v7, another a 5v5. A dispute arises. How is this resolved?

The other concern I have is over the maps.

The map list as mentioned on the same page is as follows:

Almost Lost
    Asylum
    Campgrounds
    Corrosion
    Hell’s Gate Redux
    Hidden Fortress
    Overkill
    Quarantine
    Three Story
    Trinity

Two of these maps, "Three Story" and "Hell's Gate Redux" are poorly suited for 4v4 play. At most these would work for 3v3, and more ideally for 2v2.

Removing these would still leave what is in my opinion, a large list of maps, there being 8 total.
    Hi Lorfa,

thank you for expressing your concerns. The signup page might have been misleading when it states teams will have 5-8 players. To clarify, teams are not at all required to play 5on5 whatsoever. The standard will always be 4vs4. However, if team captains choose to, they have the option to play 5on5. The majority of teams will opt for the standard 4vs4. The purpose of having 5-8 players is primarily for substitution purposes so that you have at the bare minimum one sub for all of your players on your first line roster (provided you have a full roster of 8 players). If you are one of the teams that only have 5 players, that fifth player is so you have a minimum of one substitution should something come up.

With regards to the map pool selection, there has been some concerns as you have stated. We would like to stay with a map pool of 10 maps so please voice your suggestions for two replacement maps instead of Three Story and Hell's Gate Redux. If we feel that the maps are insufficient choices me may take the route of selecting the 8 as you mentioned.

You can email me your suggestions or post them here if you like:

thecrow@quakeliveleague.com

Thanks
    Last edited by TheCrow; 11-21-2012 at 02:04 PM.

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCrow View Post
    The signup page might have been misleading when it states teams will have 5-8 players. To clarify, teams are not at all required to play 5on5 whatsoever. The standard will always be 4vs4. However, if team captains choose to, they have the option to play 5on5. The majority of teams will opt for the standard 4vs4. The purpose of having 5-8 players is primarily for substitution purposes.
    Ok, thanks for the clarification.

With regards to the map pool selection, there has been some concerns as you have stated. We would like to stay with a map pool of 10 maps so please voice your suggestions for two replacement maps instead of Three Story and Hell's Gate Redux. If we feel that the maps are insufficient choices me may take the route of selecting the 8 as you mentioned.
    My clan mate wrl had some comments on this:

wrl: Why 10? The most conceivably needed is 7
    wrl: drop drop A-pick B-pick B-pick A-pick remainder-pick
    wrl: 7 is the most needed for Bo5, for example: dm6, trinity, quarantine, asylum, hiddenfortress, overkill, almostlost

I tend to agree, as it already plenty of work to prepare this many maps.

Nonetheless I made a map list here using all the maps in the current baseq3 directory:

http://pastebin.com/5dYDC54Q

The CTF maps are not available for use in Clan Arena, and the duel maps make miserable CA maps, although Terminatria is probably large enough to support 4v4 CA.

Hellsgateredux and ThreeStory belong under "small ca".

So the categories are Very Large Ca, TDM and Misc.

Narrowing it down further, while still suspending my own prejudices (and imo my better judgement!) I get this list:

http://pastebin.com/5HSfPzda

This leaves 32 maps to choose from that are at least large enough for 4v4 CA. However the vast majority, if not all of them aren't very good for it in my opinion.

I'll look into narrowing this list further by asking people's opinions and visiting the maps myself. That's all I have for now.

Narrowed to 20 while still being very open-minded:

http://pastebin.com/6ZXAYisR

*alone
    how about 2 on 2 and 3 on 3 ca ?
    Most of my friends prefer 2 on 2 ca ...
    i prefer 3 on 3 ...
    everything more than 3 on 3 has much of a luck involved, not so much of a teamplay (stick together is not a teamplay, its camping and spaming, or rushing all together ... and thats not fun at all) ... 3 on 3 is the most realistic view of a teamplay in ca ...
    there is a big difference between ca and tdm and ctf ...
    i think that 3 on 3 is best ...
    how about some voting pool for ts ?

I agree with you completely.

I think a 2v2 or 3v3 tournament would be completely different though, involve different teams and different maps.

An idea for next time maybe as Crow is already running two tournaments!

+ Reply to Thread