+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Graphics Card for 125+ FPS - Please Recommend

*BreakingScience
    150 / $250 I'm glad you said this as it was at the back of my mind and I chose to ignore it and hope for the best - you're right.

Senior Member Adderall will become famous soon enough Adderall's Avatar
    gtx460 is more then enough for this game
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/member.php?38883-sectionate

Amd 8350 - 4816.08 MHz on air
    Crosshair V
    Asus GTX660 DirectCU

Quote Originally Posted by Undertaker12 View Post
    Thank you. You're video is ok... you need a better cfg than that, and you should try using electronic songs like my movie.

*BreakingScience

Banned jigglywiggly is on a distinguished road jigglywiggly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikaruga View Post
    You are obviously not short on money if you purchased an i7-920 for gaming. With some rare exception (like the crappy coded GTA4), 95% of the games are GPU limited at 1080p or above, and spending hundreds on stronger CPU gives nothing but +5-10fps at the very best cases. If you are that rich get a 7870 or a the GTX-660 at least or even something stronger, like the GTX670.
    I personally think that Kepler cards are the best for gaming, just make sure you don't go above 2-4xAA with them.

Besides that, even a cheap used 9800GT won't get 100% GPU load from QL when it works normally.
    An i7 920 is 3-4 year old processor

Why is everyone who plays quake live so poor.

Senior Member Ikaruga is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglywiggly View Post
    An i7 920 is 3-4 year old processor

Why is everyone who plays quake live so poor.
    This is not about the amount of money in the pocket, but about efficiency and common sense. If you burn money for no apparent reason, you must be rich or somebody who don't know something, and forgive me for assuming the former about him. Buying an i7-920 for Quake-ing is like buying a car which eats 15 liters of fuel / km and use it only to drive around in the city. You have to be very rich to burn that much money on fuel just like you need to be very rich to use a i7-920 for low-end gaming, let alone the absurdity of using it to play quake.

Quote Originally Posted by BreakingScience View Post
    150 / $250 I'm glad you said this as it was at the back of my mind and I chose to ignore it and hope for the best - you're right.
    I gonna skip ebay, it's expensive, it's hard to deal with if you have problems and it's full of scammers. While I personally also prefer to buy used hardware, but only from people I can meet and ask others about his/her reputation.
    Used parts being out from the options for now, and going for new hardware, the 150 limit is a serious problem, because we have to buy a PSU as well.

CX 430W(v2) + HD7770 OC = 135 (includes VAT and shipping).
    CX 430W(v2) + GTX 650 = 140 (includes VAT and shipping).

The CX series are quiet and have long cables (good for both, upper or lower PSU placement), not the best PSU, but they have a good deal in the UK atm (I also saw it on sale at OcUK as well). It has chinese capacitors tho, but you can't have everything for such a low price, and they will hold for 4-5 years for sure, probably much more.

The main problem is that NVIDIA is expensive in this low-end segment (compared to AMD), and the GTX-650 is good for nothing(!) expect old dx7-9 games, and the 7770 is little better value if you gonna play other games too. Sticking with Nvidia, the GTX650ti or a GTX560 would be a better choice but that would exceed the budget a little bit, or it would involve very noisy cards. I recommend to go for those stronger cards at least if you can (the 650ti has twice as many shaders for example, and it would only require 11 more)

So this 150 really kills it when only new parts are considered. If the budget can't go higher, this is the max I could quickly find regarding new hardware. I would presonally save up some more and buy good stuff only, it always pays off on the long run.
    Anyway, these are good parts and they should run QL just fine. You will also have warranty and/or money back options this way at least, so you can do something if you encounter problems with quake
    Last edited by Ikaruga; 11-08-2012 at 01:22 PM.

Senior Member CoolMike is on a distinguished road
    I'm sure someone already mentioned this but QuakeLive is CPU limited for most players. For example, if you have a great/expensive GPU but are using an old Pentium D processor than you will not be able to run QL at 125 fps with any other players on the map.

Roughly any new midrange CPU and any new midrange GPU should work flawlessly in Quakelive. Make sure your drivers are all up to date when you first set up your system.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Ikaruga View Post
    This is not about the amount of money in the pocket, but about efficiency and common sense. If you burn money for no apparent reason, you must be rich or somebody who don't know something, and forgive me for assuming the former about him. Buying an i7-920 for Quake-ing is like buying a car which eats 15 liters of fuel / km and use it only to drive around in the city. You have to be very rich to burn that much money on fuel just like you need to be very rich to use a i7-920 for low-end gaming, let alone the absurdity of using it to play quake.

I gonna skip ebay, it's expensive, it's hard to deal with if you have problems and it's full of scammers. While I personally also prefer to buy used hardware, but only from people I can meet and ask others about his/her reputation.
    Used parts being out from the options for now, and going for new hardware, the 150 limit is a serious problem, because we have to buy a PSU as well.

CX 430W(v2) + HD7770 OC = 135 (includes VAT and shipping).
    CX 430W(v2) + GTX 650 = 140 (includes VAT and shipping).

The CX series are quiet and have long cables (good for both, upper or lower PSU placement), not the best PSU, but they have a good deal in the UK atm (I also saw it on sale at OcUK as well). It has chinese capacitors tho, but you can't have everything for such a low price, and they will hold for 4-5 years for sure, probably much more.

The main problem is that NVIDIA is expensive in this low-end segment (compared to AMD), and the GTX-650 is good for nothing(!) expect old dx7-9 games, and the 7770 is little better value if you gonna play other games too. Sticking with Nvidia, the GTX650ti or a GTX560 would be a better choice but that would exceed the budget a little bit, or it would involve very noisy cards to stay inside the budget, I recommend to go for those at least if you can (the 650ti has twice as many shaders for example, and it would only require 11 more)

So this 150 really kills it when only new parts are considered. If the budget can't go higher, this is the max I could quickly find regarding new hardware. I would presonally save up some more and buy good stuff only, it always pays off on the long run.
    Anyway, these are good parts and they should run QL just fine. You will also have warranty and/or money back options this way at least, so you can do something if you encounter problems with quake
    i7 920 is slow
    gotta have dat i7 2600k @ 4.6 ghz like me ofc

Senior Member Ikaruga is on a distinguished road
    i7 920 is slow
    gotta have dat i7 2600k @ 4.6 ghz like me ofc
    The i7-920 has 130W max TDP out of the box, but it easly eats up 200W when it's OC-ed. Using that kind of power ONLY for playing QL (which will fully max out one core all the times and the CPU alone will eat 50W-ish) is just as stupid as if you would use your (much more efficient) 2600K@4.6Ghz for nothing else but playing QL. Again, it's not about poor vs rich, just common sense vs nonsense, and that's why I said that you don't buy such CPU for playing QL only, or perhaps you do if you are rich and wanna burn money.

edit: also, The 920 is an overclocking beast even on stock voltage, and soon as you reach FullHD, your 2600K@4.6Ghz will give you about max 5-10% extra fps in some selected cases, and absolutely zero in QL, so it's not slow and it's quite good for gaming, just not an efficient one. Yes the Sandy and the Ivy Bridge CPUs are better, but that doesn't mean that the older i7s are useless.
    Last edited by Ikaruga; 11-08-2012 at 01:44 PM.

Uh, it will downclock when idle.

Also 920 is slow.

And no, tribes ascend is very cpu bound.
    http://static.techspot.com/articles-...nch/CPU_03.png
    http://static.techspot.com/articles-...nch/CPU_01.png

dem poor people

Senior Member megaman3 is on a distinguished road
    Uh, it will downclock when idle.

Also 920 is slow.

And no, tribes ascend is very cpu bound.
    http://static.techspot.com/articles-...nch/CPU_03.png
    http://static.techspot.com/articles-...nch/CPU_01.png

dem poor people
    Buying a better cpu does not make someone richer. What separates people apart is expensive property such as houses, not even cars do the trick.

With that said, ikaruga's car analogy is fine. Not perfect as he is comparing running costs (who cares about those on PCs) but price differences do matter in this case since QL runs at 125 fps on everything that isn't a laptop with integrated graphics.

+ Reply to Thread