+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I need help identifying the differences between strafing in VQ3 & QL physics

Senior Member julios is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by RO5WE11 View Post
    I have read in one forum that the height you can gain from jumping in Q3A is slightly higher than in QL, but this doesn't not explain the distance. Surely by reaching 500+ ups off of a circle jump you would be traveling the same distance regardless of hight?
    If this is true, then clearly you'd be able to jump further in Q3A. Think about it - the higher you jump, the more air time you have to move forward.

Junior Member RO5WE11 is on a distinguished road
    If this is true, then clearly you'd be able to jump further in Q3A. Think about it - the higher you jump, the more air time you have to move forward.
    This it what it feels like

Banned TheMuffinMan86 will become famous soon enough TheMuffinMan86's Avatar
    Afaik strafing in itself is identical to in Q3. Jump velocity is 275 compared with Q3's 270 which means you jump slightly higher in QL. VQ3 rounds off player movement from floats into integers and the likes of QL, OpenArena and CPMA don't which means more accurate physics across any level of FPS at the expense of bandwidth. Increased step height from 18 to 22 units means you can jump across and reach platforms further away than in Q3 as well as scale taller barriers.

Senior Member Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam's Avatar
    Maybe you have changed stuff like g_gravity? Ruleset changes (ql->pql->ql) don't affect that, I think. There are more g_ and pmove_ cvars you might have changed in the past and forgot about.

Have you tried resetting your config properly? Via the web page, not loading anything afterwards (and especially not leaving any autoexec in place). That might help.

Senior Member megaman3 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan86 View Post
    Afaik strafing in itself is identical to in Q3. Jump velocity is 275 compared with Q3's 270 which means you jump slightly higher in QL. VQ3 rounds off player movement from floats into integers and the likes of QL, OpenArena and CPMA don't which means more accurate physics across any level of FPS at the expense of bandwidth. Increased step height from 18 to 22 units means you can jump across and reach platforms further away than in Q3 as well as scale taller barriers.
    All which means trickjumping in QL is easier but not as satisfying as in Q3, which also has CV cpm physics (defrag and cpma) that are a whole different thing (more freedom).

Junior Member RO5WE11 is on a distinguished road
    Someone recommended I reset my cfg, didn't make much difference tbh. The closest thing I have found to an answer like I said previously was the answer I got from the XCM clan leader, before I could even tell him the problem I was having he told me ''its because ql doesnt have p_move, u cant jump as far''.
    One thing I don't want to start doing is altering the physics in servers, I just want to get good at CJs and Strafing. It still just seems to be too much of a difference between these 2 physics despite everyone telling me different, only 3 other people have agreed with me when I gave them the map (XCM_tricks2) to try it out for themselves. Just very strange imo

+ Reply to Thread