+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I need help identifying the differences between strafing in VQ3 & QL physics

Junior Member RO5WE11 is on a distinguished road

I need help identifying the differences between strafing in VQ3 & QL physics

Recently I have been trying to improve my strafing and circle jumps.

One friend recommended I train on the XCM_tricks2 map in QL Practice,
    since training on this I have discovered the CGAZ HUD for Q3A Defrag.
    So I downloaded the XCM_tricks2 map for Defrag, copied my Autoexec folder and pasted it in to my Q3config folder (which I'm sure was successful) and started to practice there too using the VQ3 physics. From what I can tell the maps are identical.

Since I have gone from Q3A to QL I have noticed I can get to the 3rd strafing room
    in Q3A Defrag using the VQ3 physics BUT in QL Practice I can barely make it to the 2nd platform in the 1st room!
    Also in the circle jump training room on Defrag I can make the last 1 (not everytime) but in QL Practice I can barely make the 3rd from last.

One friend said this was down to my sensitivity, which I have checked over and over again (in QL my sens is 2.00 and in Defrag it is also 2). One check I did was to down my sens on Defrag to 1, which makes no difference in my performance even without using the CGAZ HUD. I also tried upping my sens on QL which also makes no difference.

I have read in one forum that the height you can gain from jumping in Q3A is slightly higher than in QL, but this doesn't not explain the distance. Surely by reaching 500+ ups off of a circle jump you would be traveling the same distance regardless of hight?

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this subject for me, even if it's just to say it's all in my head.

Much appreciated,
    RO5WE11

Senior Member Phlogiston will become famous soon enough Phlogiston will become famous soon enough Phlogiston's Avatar
    Vigilanteville, Moderation State, The World.
    Hmmm...I always thought QL physics was a bit easier because it has a larger stepheight value (amount you can be below the height of a level and automatically step on top of it). The only other major difference I know for sure is that acceleration and sensitivity is based on your framerate in Q3 which made 125fps very important but in QL it's no longer dependent.

Further to this post I just ran a quick test in Q3 and the ground speeds seemed more or less identical, although I never tested the air strafing parts.

It could be that there's another mouse setting other than the base sensitivity which is having an effect, check the various m_ cvars to see if you have any kind of acceleration enabled in either game or that you might not have the raw mouse input (could be your mouse drivers affecting the sens before it gets into the game) or m_cpi settings (completely changes your sensitivity based on your mouse CPI) used in QL.

Yes, as you can tell this has been very frustrating for me and I thank you for your reply.

Before I tried to up my game I used to use mouse accel which had a mousesenscap on it, but now I do not use any of this.
    As a precaution I did check both Q3A and QL config /cl_mouseaccel which both were at (0) default.
    I am using a Razer Death Adder 3.5g, of which I only use one profile for both Windows and Full Screen Gaming mode so I don't believe any changes occur when in game.

However I'm not the most clued up person when it comes to hardware, drivers, cfg's etc.. so something might be happening that I cannot source.
    Do you know if there is a big difference with the sensitivity values between QL and Q3A? From what I can tell in QL you can fine tune your sens (e.g. use a sens of 2.25) but in Q3A the sens values are only a multiple of 1 (e.g. 2.00/3.00/4.00 etc...). From what I can tell QL Sens 2 is not the same as VQ3 Sens 2, I think there is a slight difference like I said in my first post, QL Sens 2 is the equivalent of VQ3 Sens 1.

Sorry for being a burden and I appreciate you taking the time to help me out here.

I think I have gotten to the bottom of this, but have no idea on how to change it back!?
    Here is a screenshot of the loading screen for QL CA Practice on my computer.

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/8396/shot0001ry.jpg

It says that there is modified physics and weapons, but I do not know how to set the physics back to standard. In a public/pro/prem server this is quite easy - /callvote ruleset ql but I cannot do this in practice mode. I can change the physics from CMPA to Vanilla and vice versa but this always seems to stay in the server info.

Senior Member Phlogiston will become famous soon enough Phlogiston will become famous soon enough Phlogiston's Avatar
    Check:

/in_mouse "2" //makes QL take the mouse input directly from the mouse without going through Windows or Razer's driver settings.
    /m_cpi "0"

I'm 99% sure that Q3 sens has been matched as closely as possible in QL, it certainly wouldn't be double the values so there's something affecting the games in different ways. Also I think Q3 accepts decimal values for sensitivity. If all the settings I've mentioned are ok in QL then it'd be worth also checking their counterparts in Q3.

Senior Member megaman3 is on a distinguished road
    I can only say that b2r is miles harder in vq3 (with 125 fps) than in QL. In QL I always do it without using the border (miss it like 1% of the time) whereas in q3 I'd be crying blood to do the same.

I have /in_mouse 2 and /m_cpi 0, just checked. My Q3A Defrag /in_mouse was 1, changed it to 2 and I still perform.

See this is the strange part Megaman, people say it's harder in VQ3 but I'm finding it to be the other way round.

Another friend recommended I check my settings;
    /m_pitch 0.022
    /m_yaw 0.022
    /m_filter 0

And they were all default as they should be in both Defrag and QL.

Someone else just said;

its because ql doesnt have p_move, u cant jump as far
    I think this must be the case, if it is I thank you all for your input

It does have pmove_ variables, they can be varied when you start a server and basically change the various physics constraints of the games. Open the console and type pmove [TAB] and you'll see them all, AFAIK the only major difference is the stepheight, which makes jumping easier in QL...

As to your sens being different in each game, I'm lost, but I didn't play too much Q3 so not sure what other cvars might be in there affecting your mouse differently :S

Senior Member spasticpuma is on a distinguished road spasticpuma's Avatar
    From what I understand, your initial jump acceleration is slower in quakelive than VQ3 so the pad spacing on XCM_tricks2 isn't optimal for strafing using ql physics. I've been able to make it to the 3rd stafe pad room, and I seem to recall better strafers making it much farther. The pad positioning makes it pretty unforgiving for mistakes in technique...
    Mauling prey items...its just a Puma's nature.

+ Reply to Thread