View Poll Results: Timenudge cvars you are playing with ?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • cl_timenudge 0, cl_autotimenudge 0, cg_projectilenudge 0

24 54.55%
  • cl_timenudge 1 to -10

7 15.91%
  • cl_timenudge -11 to -20

7 15.91%
  • cl_autotimenudge 1

8 18.18%
  • cg_projectilenudge 1 to 40

1 2.27%
  • cg_projectilenudge 41 to 80

2 4.55%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: [Feedback] Network and timenudge cvars to shoot faster

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    I voted for 2, cl_timenudge 0, cl_autotimenudge 0, as well as cl_autotimenudge 1. If I'm in an 80+ ping server I'll use autotimenudge, but otherwise it's off.

Senior Member insect is on a distinguished road insect's Avatar
    Client side hit detection is an easy way for almost perfect hit feeling. No shot-throughs, only the rare caused by clientside errors - framerate stuttering, lost packets and blinking
    There are a few problems with it, the main is that the client has to be trustworthy.

I doubt it will ever be used in QL because
    1. It would require considerable amount of devs work.
    2. The main effect would be a lot of whine:
    - aiming with client side detection is a bit different, in QL you apply small temporal adjustment to the shots.
    - it would influence lg fights, dodging with most pings would be impossible.

Senior Member Ikaruga is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by insect View Post
    Client side hit detection is an easy way for almost perfect hit feeling. No shot-throughs, only the rare caused by clientside errors - framerate stuttering, lost packets and blinking
    There are a few problems with it, the main is that the client has to be trustworthy.

I doubt it will ever be used in QL because
    1. It would require considerable amount of devs work.
    2. The main effect would be a lot of whine:
    - aiming with client side detection is a bit different, in QL you apply small temporal adjustment to the shots.
    - it would influence lg fights, dodging with most pings would be impossible.
    You forgot to mention the influx of insane amount of cheats the client side hit detection would bring with itself, it would be nothing like the "few" cheats we had to deal with QL until now.

Senior Member Phlogiston will become famous soon enough Phlogiston will become famous soon enough Phlogiston's Avatar
    Play with timenudge 0 for hitscan weapons (smoother movement for tracking) then I play with -20 for projectile weapons

Senior Member DeeDoubleU will become famous soon enough DeeDoubleU's Avatar
    Client-side hit detection does weird things.
    You can shoot your enemy, get fragmessage and immediately die because he hit you first, but his connection is slower and packets arrived few milliseconds later.
    Real life? Life is real?!

*rootsra
    Noone answered my questions. lol

Senior Member brainwreck is on a distinguished road brainwreck's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phlogiston View Post
    Play with timenudge 0 for hitscan weapons (smoother movement for tracking) then I play with -20 for projectile weapons
    thats about what i do..sept its like this
    RL= tn -9
    PG= tn -17
    gaunt - tn -17
    all else 0

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rootsra View Post
    Network and timenudge cvars to shoot faster
    There are no cvars that will allow you to shoot faster.

I was wondering what was the best network settings to play.
    Many are personal preference.

I have 125 FPS on all maps, so i use cl_maxpackets 125 and rate 25000.
    This is fine.

Is it good ? I think, yes.
    Me too.

What about shooting faster with cl_timenudge ? cl_autotimenudge ? cg_projectilenudge ?
    They will not allow you to shoot faster.

Should i use cl_timenudge -20 or -10 or 0 ?
    Mostly personal preference.

One of my very possibly incorrect interpretations of the q3 source suggests that with its drift control function, certain numbers might be smoother due to working with whole frames. With sv_fps 40 there is a server update every 25 ms, and at 125 fps there's a frame every 8 ms. So, 25 - 8 = 17, and 25 - 16 = 9. So tn values of -17, -9, and -1, 0, may be smoother than other values.

This very well may be totally placebo, and even if it wasn't I'm not sure the difference is that great.

I'm using -9 for all weapons except for the PG at -17, and the LG+RG at 0.

Should i use cl_autotimenudge 1 or 0 ?
    I don't know much about it, but the tiny bit of testing I did with it suggests that the effect is too strong. Some players recommended using it only on very laggy servers, above 80 ms. I'd have to personally recommend 0 at this time until I have more information.

Should i use cg_projectilenudge 0 to 80 ? i have 30ping and 50 on another server.
    The effect of this cvar is rather subtle, but I still recommend setting it to your current ping. If I pinged 50 on one server and 30 on another, I would probably just set it to 50 and forget about it.

Can i use all them at same time ?
    You can use projectilenudge and any value of timenudge as they don't affect one another.

I believe that cl_AutoTimenudge when set to 1 overrides the current value of timenudge whatever it may be though.

I am a bit lost here, and why the commands are not in the in-game menu ?
    Keep in mind that traditionally there were very few options in the menu, and most settings had to be done with the console. Looks like these cvars simply haven't made it into the menu yet.

*rootsra
    okay new question, what if i have 28ms ping ? should i use tn -20 instead of -17 ?

with cg_projectilenudge 28 ?

edit : i will try some settings to see what's the best for me

edit2 : tn -17 looks a bit less laggy
    Last edited by rootsra; 11-10-2012 at 06:34 PM.

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rootsra View Post
    okay new question, what if i have 28ms ping ? should i use tn -20 instead of -17 ?
    I see what you mean but I would still do -17. Assuming that there's any reasonable difference between the two anyways.

with cg_projectilenudge 28 ?
    Would be fine.

+ Reply to Thread