View Poll Results: Timenudge cvars you are playing with ?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • cl_timenudge 0, cl_autotimenudge 0, cg_projectilenudge 0

24 54.55%
  • cl_timenudge 1 to -10

7 15.91%
  • cl_timenudge -11 to -20

7 15.91%
  • cl_autotimenudge 1

8 18.18%
  • cg_projectilenudge 1 to 40

1 2.27%
  • cg_projectilenudge 41 to 80

2 4.55%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: [Feedback] Network and timenudge cvars to shoot faster

*rootsra

Thumbs up [Feedback] Network and timenudge cvars to shoot faster

I was wondering what was the best network settings to play.

I have 125 FPS on all maps, so i use cl_maxpackets 125 and rate 25000.

Is it good ? I think, yes.

What about shooting faster with cl_timenudge ? cl_autotimenudge ? cg_projectilenudge ?

Should i use cl_timenudge -20 or -10 or 0 ?

Should i use cl_autotimenudge 1 or 0 ?

Should i use cg_projectilenudge 0 to 80 ? i have 30ping and 50 on another server.

Can i use all them at same time ?

I am a bit lost here, and why the commands are not in the in-game menu ?

Thanks for the help
    Last edited by rootsra; 11-06-2012 at 07:24 AM.

Senior Member Ikaruga is on a distinguished road
    timenudge alters how many snapshot your client will use to smooth things out for you (how you see the others moving). The lower the setting is, the less your client will "wait" before rendering the frame for you, which means that less packet will be used in the calculation. That might result in a more accurate representation about what is really happening on the server, but it also means that the movement of the others will be less smooth (more jerky). This is only about how your client rendering the game world for you, and in no way alters anything on the server or things for other players. Some players can aim better if they see things smooth, others prefer jerky but stiffer enemies. It's all about personal preference.

autotimenudge does the same but it's adjusting the value real time based on your ping, and it can go lower than -20, which is not possible manually. (I personally hit absolutely nothing with autotimenudge)

edit: projectilenudge probably does similar things but only for rockets and other (non-hitscan) projectiles, but I never touched it tbh, so dunno how effective it is.
    Last edited by Ikaruga; 11-06-2012 at 07:37 AM.

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    I use cl_autotimenudge 1. I don't want to get used to a specific ping; I want to get as close as a perfect server knowledge as I can.
    Never touched cl_maxpackets, rate nor cg_projectilenudge but my FPS is pretty low on some maps which affects the number of packets I can send.

*baerlic
    With unlagged, nudge is useless and just makes enemies warp for me.

Senior Member JustLOL is on a distinguished road JustLOL's Avatar
    I used to have cl_autotimenudge on, but for me, hit detection was too inconsistent with it, some days I was getting 40-45% tracking acc, other days it was trolling me with 30% (same ping, setup, brain).
    I'm experimenting with <-5 ... -10> range now, it seems to be optimal for my 50-60ms ping on UK servers.

No idea about cg_projectilenudge (I thought it wasn't functional in QL), I'll have to test it later and see if it can help my hopeless rockets.
    "Men no longer prefer blondes; today, gentlemen seem to prefer gentlemen."

Banned jigglywiggly is on a distinguished road jigglywiggly's Avatar
    quake live just needs client side hit detection

i use timenudge -20 on 20 pingish.

It makes your rails actually hit where they are supposed to, by default they are behind.

It really messes your LG up though

I just tried cl_autotimenudge 1
    very tripply, I might use it all the time.

Rails make sense, but it's like vomit fluidity.

All of these problems could be solved with client side hit detection.

I don't think most people realize the hitboxes lag behind by default a lot.
    It's very anoyying, and it let's people with slower reactions hit rails they shouldn't. It messes me up because I hit where I should be >:|
    Last edited by jigglywiggly; 11-06-2012 at 07:28 PM.

Senior Member DocPossible has a spectacular aura about DocPossible has a spectacular aura about DocPossible has a spectacular aura about DocPossible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglywiggly View Post
    quake live just needs client side hit detection

i use timenudge -20 on 20 pingish.

It makes your rails actually hit where they are supposed to, by default they are behind.

It really messes your LG up though

I just tried cl_autotimenudge 1
    very tripply, I might use it all the time.

Rails make sense, but it's like vomit fluidity.

All of these problems could be solved with client side hit detection.

I don't think most people realize the hitboxes lag behind by default a lot.
    It's very anoyying, and it let's people with slower reactions hit rails they shouldn't. It messes me up because I hit where I should be >:|
    Which client decides whether a hit has been scored ? Yours or the target?
    Like to play more Freeze Tag ? Join Clan Chill. We play Freeze Tag most evenings, 7:30pm UK time onwards, with a smattering of TDM, CTF and a regular duel cup. Check our website. IRC : #clanchill on quakenet

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DocPossible View Post
    Which client decides whether a hit has been scored ? Yours or the target?
    I guess he means the client decides if the player shot on the model or not and sends that information to the server which just accepts it. There are problems with that. It may be an issue; I believe it would make developing hacks easier. But the main problem is that whatever the client shows isn't necessarily accurate. For instance, if there is a problem on the download stream from the server, the enemies could all stand still and be shot at 100% accuracy. Well I guess it could happen. It could also be as simple as a rail battle where a client makes a prediction error and puts the enemy model where the enemy would never have went by himself because it was dangerous; the guy makes no mistake but still gets hit. There may also be many synchronization issues between clients (who decided what first?) and problems with projectile weapons as the hit/miss information doesn't come at the same time as the projectile direction/timing one.

Overall it feels like a pretty bad idea.

Senior Member DocPossible has a spectacular aura about DocPossible has a spectacular aura about DocPossible has a spectacular aura about DocPossible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashSoul View Post
    I guess he means the client decides if the player shot on the model or not and sends that information to the server which just accepts it. There are problems with that. It may be an issue; I believe it would make developing hacks easier. But the main problem is that whatever the client shows isn't necessarily accurate. For instance, if there is a problem on the download stream from the server, the enemies could all stand still and be shot at 100% accuracy. Well I guess it could happen. It could also be as simple as a rail battle where a client makes a prediction error and puts the enemy model where the enemy would never have went by himself because it was dangerous; the guy makes no mistake but still gets hit. There may also be many synchronization issues between clients (who decided what first?) and problems with projectile weapons as the hit/miss information doesn't come at the same time as the projectile direction/timing one.

Overall it feels like a pretty bad idea.
    Right. Once you get clients making decisions for other clients, it's a chaotic, impossible mess. Server side hit detection has its issues, especially when there are large ping and jitter differences between players, but at least it's consistent.

In an ideal world we all play on LAN. Otherwise we have to compromise.
    Like to play more Freeze Tag ? Join Clan Chill. We play Freeze Tag most evenings, 7:30pm UK time onwards, with a smattering of TDM, CTF and a regular duel cup. Check our website. IRC : #clanchill on quakenet

Banned jigglywiggly is on a distinguished road jigglywiggly's Avatar
    No.
    There are limits set for rediculousness on client side.

BF3 has client side hit detection and it feels right.

So does tribes ascend for hitscan weapons.

It just feels like the game doesn't cheat you out of shots, etc.

Server side is crap.

The problem with client side is, you often get hit more behind cover, but that happens anyway with quake live.

+ Reply to Thread