+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: is it essential to play at low graphics?

*Xaquun

is it essential to play at low graphics?

i read some guide what suggest turning off and low all graphic detail so you can spot other players easier and modify charaters look all same cuz skinny models are harder to hit. does this really make so much difference? i dont like play that way.

Senior Member Mike68 will become famous soon enough Mike68's Avatar
    Personal preference. Many players feel they are less distracted if the graphics are turned down, whereas others (like me) prefer high detail. I don't feel hindered by prettier graphics - I'm just as rubbish if I turn them down.

It's useful having all green enemies though, as they stand out better. They don't all have to be Keel either - you can now force bright skins for all enemy models. Play with the settings till you find something you're comfortable with.

Senior Member Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam's Avatar
    I also play at highest details possible and I made it to the highest tier somehow!

However, some competitive features are actually essential:
    - enemy models forced (bright Keel is a very good default value)
    - team models forced (for easily recognizable sounds + in case someone in your team plays as Keel)
    - high ambient light scale (to see items on the ground better)
    - instant popping up of items (cg_itemFx 3)
    - big clock :)

I can't think of anything else in my setup that isn't just personal preference.

Senior Member JustLOL is on a distinguished road JustLOL's Avatar
    I think using r_picmip 5+ & big fat keel with r_lodbias -2 is definitely a big advantage compared to default skinned Bittermans and Bones models running around the unpicmipped map, but if you see yourself as more of a casual player and don't feel a need for that competitive edge, if you can't get used to 'competitive' settings and you better like the full gfx mode -- then play that way... there are no rules here, it's only fun that counts.

You should give both options a try, though... test the high-performance options for a few days (\writeconfig backup.cfg then test some pro cfgs from http://trance.gg/Quake-demos/DHS12/Cfg/, they're pretty much different shades of the high-visibility config idea), then get back to your old config for assessment.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lam View Post
    - high ambient light scale (to see items on the ground better)
    - instant popping up of items (cg_itemFx 3)
    wat... I thought I knew all useful cvars..

Never heard of cg_itemFX (though I might have seen it in someone's cfg and thought it's part of the Q3 remnants from their messy cfg), and never tried the ambient light scale thingy... what's the cvar/range/preferred value for it?
    Last edited by JustLOL; 11-05-2012 at 08:31 AM.
    "Men no longer prefer blondes; today, gentlemen seem to prefer gentlemen."

Member Ironb4lls is on a distinguished road
    When I played more tdm and duel in the early 2000s, I did the whole picmip/overbrightbits/vertex light/simple items thing. It forces you to focus on the moving objects and not the scenery and atmosphere.

Now that I play more casually (i.e. late night FFA) I like getting the full visual experience, like the raindrops on Furious Heights, or the impressive detail on the textures. I've found it hasn't affected my game as much as I thought it would.

And I've realized that in FFA, it's helpful to not force enemy models. Now I can identify my opponents by sound as they're coming around the corner, rather than waiting until their name pops up over their head.

Senior Member Ikaruga is on a distinguished road
    I also use the highest possible detail except r_picmip 10, but I personally think that QL looks better that way, so I don't see that as a lower setting.

On the other hand, I'm forced to use the lowest detail on my htpc, because QL brutally knees that little silent box somehow (hiding the hud alone gives +~20fps), and having a stable high fps is more important than the look of the game. It's strange, because Wolfcam runs the very same maps fluid on that system with the highest settings no problem (edit: well, the highest except subdiv 80 ofc)
    Last edited by Ikaruga; 11-06-2012 at 01:45 AM.

*baerlic
    I'm using picmip 5 because the lower details lets the enemy models stand out clearer, but I can still see some textures so my depth perception isn't hindered like with really high picmip.

*Xaquun
    btw is it allowed to use bright skins and forced models in ql tournaments?

Member Ironb4lls is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Xaquun View Post
    btw is it allowed to use bright skins and forced models in ql tournaments?
    Yeah, everyone uses their own cfgs for the most part.

Senior Member brainwreck is on a distinguished road brainwreck's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xaquun View Post
    i read some guide what suggest turning off and low all graphic detail so you can spot other players easier and modify charaters look all same cuz skinny models are harder to hit. does this really make so much difference? i dont like play that way.
    i play in full graphics max settings+slight bloom and my game is fine, with bloom, postprocess, colorcorrect, models stand out more than enough

keep in mind though, 125fps is nessessary to play this game so if you are getting less than 125 you DO need to lower graphics to play well

(PS: ..picmip does not effect your FPS)

+ Reply to Thread