+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Server admin commands REQURE UPGRADING!

Junior Member Whips is on a distinguished road

Exclamation Server admin commands REQURE UPGRADING!

After using the admin stuff in servers there are some server admin command flaws that require updating and overhauling.

CONSOLE:
    /?

1. /kickban
    = kick + ban, pointless if you just want to kick someone to just get attention or being mildly disruptive without the aggressive need to ban them.

/kickban <player ID#> <length of ban in minutes #>

e.g.
    /kickban 3 60
    = kicks and bans player ID 3 for an hour

2. /kick <player ID#>
    = plain and simple kick + no banning.

3. /callvote kick 2 /callvote map x
    = Admin voting on a regular player's vote isn't a democratic vote, its an overruling which is counter productive and dictatorial.
    It should work as follows : a player starts a vote and an admin chooses yes or no and it will not be a final decision. (unless of course there are only 2 players eligible to vote!)
    For an admin to override voting then he must press the same vote 3 times in a row.
    F1 F1 F1 - it should also be displayed/broadcast to ALL players that the admin has overruled the vote.
    An admin starts a vote and it is completed with the other players as normal, which is what SHOULD happen when a regular player starts a vote also.

Why does an admin have to wait 10 seconds on a map reload to administer an authoritative vote?

Apologies for any confusion given.

Senior Member namad will become famous soon enough namad's Avatar
    I'd like to add couple points that might be usefull.

Can we have player operation to be based on username, not id? All simple operation are really time consuming because I had to type /players to see the list of players and their id, if the list is long and game in process, it's really difficult to locate appropriate player id because there are a lot of stuff printed in console. Would be much better of I could just type /op <username>
    Another good option to have is autocomplete for all usernames that already joined. For example, I want kickban player named AshesKicker, so I just type /kickban as then hit tab and vuala.

Thanks!

Senior Member Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by namad View Post
    Would be much better of I could just type /op <username>
    Remember that troll clan that had all players named IllIllIl lIIllIlIl lIIlIllIl etc.? GL kicking them while not using client numbers.

Senior Member CoolMike is on a distinguished road
    You should be able to do it either way, by id number or by a username string. The username string should only have to be enough letters or number to uniquely identify the player.

Quote Originally Posted by Lam View Post
    Remember that troll clan that had all players named IllIllIl lIIllIlIl lIIlIllIl etc.? GL kicking them while not using client numbers.
    Actually, my main point was about improving user actions. Right now it's not userfriendly or you disagree? There are a lot of ways to hadle situations when username is hard to type. For example, autocomplete might do the trick. /kickban i [TAB] and vuala we got one nailed. But I'm not sure if autocomplete is easy to implement..
    Another option is to show player IDs without typing /players. for example, I'm typing /op hit TAB and all options instanly available in console:
    --------------
    1 Lam
    2 Namad
    3 Whips
    /op [TAB]

Actually, there are many options, I just don't know about technical limitations so I can only suggest something.

Quote Originally Posted by Lam View Post
    Also, I believe that there are some username limitations, my guess is Quake is using Aplhanum constrains, so player can use numbers, letters and limited number of characters to build his username, all case insensitive, which means that IllIllIl lIIllIlIl lIIlIllIl is equal to illillil liillilil liilillil.

Senior Member danstar will become famous soon enough danstar will become famous soon enough danstar's Avatar
    good luck kicking player 12 if someone is named 11

Quote Originally Posted by Danstar View Post
    good luck kicking player 12 if someone is named 11
    So you are happy the way it is?

Junior Member Whips is on a distinguished road
    Just use the mouse to point and click on player in listing.
    Double click TAB = mouse cursor enabled + player list locked, until u press tab again.
    right click over player's nick, list of choices appears such as switch teams, kick etc.

Absolutely simple, surely?

Senior Member filo is on a distinguished road filo's Avatar
    i would also like to see /abort function to be added to the callvote list -especialy for the serverowner and every1 he op.

+ Reply to Thread