+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: What happened to Quake Live?

*Tilestone
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashSoul View Post
    You pay for the servers, the centralized architecture with easy-to-use web stuff, friends system and stats as well as the development.
    Easy to use web stuff? Well, i managed without that before QL ^^, Friend system.. Well, theres IRC =S And stats just.. Well, never cared of that. Sure, was nice in the good old days when that got added to example osp and what not... That you could see what acc and shait you had after each fight.. But, to pay for something like that? Nah, im fine with that since i know basicly by my gameplay in general and feel how i stand stat wise seeing that i'v played this game for such a long time(This game being quake series in general). Easy explained version; At the moment i know that im not as good as i used to be, probably half as good as i was back in the days. Sure, quake is like riding a bike.. Most things stick with you through life.. But if you dont play it you cant improve and you loose skill.. And i know this by not looking at any stats =P So basicly, i dont need any stats to know where i stand.. And even with stats that dont show any skills either.. Since acc is not a skill factor in quake. Sure for hitscan weapons and what not.. But still, then you take away the idea of predict and movement. And when you predict and move you waste ammo =d Atleast that's how i see it.

Yet, Im not allowed to choose whatever map i want to play? And open it up for the public? I dont want to play the maps i want to play in a closed "group". If im going to pay for their services I'd atleast want the function to be able to start a server for my region and play with anyone. Not just premium users, without being forced to invite ppl. And if I havnt understood the content you get by paying for their subscriptions totally wrong.. Theres no option for what im talking about here? With the "Premium" user being able to choose? So if we take away all that you talked about, whats left?.

Its simple, I just want to be able to creat a server for anyone to use. Like in the old days, sure.. I can understand that the ones handling QL wants to have it closed due to the $. But if i cant start a server that my friend and his friend and his friend can play on.. Well, where's the fun in that?

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tilestone View Post
    Its simple, I just want to be able to creat a server for anyone to use. Like in the old days, sure.. I can understand that the ones handling QL wants to have it closed due to the $. But if i cant start a server that my friend and his friend and his friend can play on.. Well, where's the fun in that?
    No, you can't. Maybe some day they'll add a subscription level "uber-pro" or something that allows you to spawn servers with whatever you want and make it standard level. However, seeing as this would render Premium unattractive for all of these standard players (or other subscribers), it would probably be hella expensive.

The best thing you can do for now is to install the script which automatically invite friends who message you with "invite" (https://userscripts.org/scripts/show/107333) and to make sure they all know that. Then you can idle on your server and they (well, 5 at a time) can join when they want.

Senior Member megaman3 is on a distinguished road
    can you edit that script so it works with more keywords?

(yep, learning how to use the new pro sub lol)

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    Disclaimer : I never "programmed" userscripts.
    By looking at the source code I'd say you have to change "if(r.what == 'invite')" into "if(r.what == 'invite' OR r.what == 'newKeyWord')" where "OR" should be the "OR" binary operator (maybe || ?) for user scripts and "newKeyWord" whatever you want.

Senior Member SergeantRock44 is an unknown quantity at this point SergeantRock44's Avatar
    So I guess "pick-up" games are different from either standard or premium/pro games? Are those the irc games?

Senior Member Phlogiston will become famous soon enough Phlogiston will become famous soon enough Phlogiston's Avatar
    Yeah pickups or PUGs (Pick-Up Games) are games arranged via IRC where players sign up and then two captains choose their teams and a map to play on. It's mostly high level players playing organised, positional styles of play like you'd see in competition games.

I think every PUG I played in has had at least one or two Division 1 CTF players in there so the first time hurts really bad, even as a highish T4 player who had played clan wars before it was like being a T3 in a T4 game again

Senior Member SergeantRock44 is an unknown quantity at this point SergeantRock44's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phlogiston View Post
    Yeah pickups or PUGs (Pick-Up Games) are games arranged via IRC where players sign up and then two captains choose their teams and a map to play on. It's mostly high level players playing organised, positional styles of play like you'd see in competition games.

I think every PUG I played in has had at least one or two Division 1 CTF players in there so the first time hurts really bad, even as a highish T4 player who had played clan wars before it was like being a T3 in a T4 game again
    So then this sounds like something not really for a player like me....

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SergeantRock44 View Post
    So then this sounds like something not really for a player like me....

You'll probably get steamrolled for a while, but I'd suggest joining with another player around your skill level. That way, the teams would stay more balanced and you can "suffer" with somebody else ;P

Senior Member namad will become famous soon enough namad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tilestone View Post
    Easy to use web stuff? Well, i managed without that before QL ^^, Friend system.. Well, theres IRC =S And stats just.. Well, never cared of that. ...
    Omg, you are genious! Now you can trick the system! So go play Q3A then, don't bother us with "truth" you discovered

Junior Member pinkahkilla is on a distinguished road
    Too many butthurt noobs. :3

+ Reply to Thread