+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Pro Membership Embarassment

Senior Member SHAKEANDBAKE has a little shameless behaviour in the past
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike68 View Post
    Ideally, I'd like to have servers open to all with all maps etc, but I also realise that to do this would mean that there would be no incentive for people to subscribe: they could just play all day long and not hand over a penny for it.

Mind you, subscribing is worth it just to get rid of the ads.
    I remember renting servers for Q4 out of my own pocket and anyone could join any game any time. I could leave MY server and it would remain public and running. Anyone could use that server whether I was there or not. Any map was available!

Junior Member FunkyBendrinkin is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Phlogiston View Post
    I do think that it's sad to see a US company not being supported by its own countrymen and I really think there should be some effort on dividing the business model so that it's dealt with differently in 'conquered' regions like EU.
    I'm from the US and I don't really consider myself a gamer which means I don't run in the same circles and hear the same news as most of you, so maybe that's the reason for my previous ignorance of this game's existence. I'd heard of the Quake franchise before but never played. Then about one year ago I happened to be listening to a Joe Rogan podcast and he was talking about how awesome Quake Live was to play. Up until that very moment I had no idea this game even existed. Joe Rogan's excitement about the game made me want to check it out and I've been hooked ever since. So maybe the reason this US company isn't being supported by its countrymen is because most of us don't know it even exists. I got my 15 year old niece to play too and she'd never heard of it either. Perhaps advertising is lacking here in the US for the non-gamer public?
    Last edited by FunkyBendrinkin; 10-22-2012 at 10:26 AM.

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkyBendrinkin View Post
    I'm from the US and I don't really consider myself a gamer which means I don't run in the same circles and hear the same news as most of you, so maybe that's the reason for my previous ignorance of this game's existence. I'd heard of the Quake franchise before but never played. Then about one year ago I happened to be listening to a Joe Rogan podcast and he was talking about how awesome Quake Live was to play. Up until that very moment I had no idea this game even existed. Joe Rogan's excitement about the game made me want to check it out and I've been hooked ever since. So maybe the reason this US company isn't being supported by its countrymen is because most of us don't know it even exists. I got my 15 year old niece to play too and she'd never heard of it either. Perhaps advertising is lacking here in the US for the non-gamer public?
    I heard about it through a random Google search, and later found out that 2 other friends on the forum I was active on at the time had played/heard of the game. (TribalDan being the one from the forum that still plays -- the other person found the game too difficult and had computer issues so he couldn't play)

Senior Member Phlogiston will become famous soon enough Phlogiston will become famous soon enough Phlogiston's Avatar
    I think I found Quakelive through it being mentioned in rockpapershotgun.com which ofc got me to check it out as I was an old school Q2er - literally, I played it at school

Other than RPS though I don't think I ever heard of QL through any media.

Senior Member runny is on a distinguished road
    u could always request a "super pro" membership ... which would allow any maps that ql has to offer ... and anyone able to connect at a "fair" price such as 2x what current pro is... or something i highly doubt players would want to pay that thou .. but they're might be a few

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    I discovered Quake Live (and Quake in general) while searching for a free online FPS on google because the one I was playing before was riddled with hackers. I haven't seen an ad anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by SHAKEANDBAKE View Post
    I remember renting servers for Q4 out of my own pocket and anyone could join any game any time. I could leave MY server and it would remain public and running. Anyone could use that server whether I was there or not. Any map was available!
    You still can. For Q4.

Senior Member megaman3 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by SHAKEANDBAKE View Post
    In the end we are paying to play with other people, as you can always spawn q4 servers ("free" or rented) but there's 0 players, or q3 in which if you aren't russian then it's struggling to find a server and all of them are in absurd mods against noobs that haven't discovered google (or cpm or defrag).

Senior Member SHAKEANDBAKE has a little shameless behaviour in the past
    When word about quakelive was first starting you had to get an invite, so when every one was adandoning Q4 for live I would jump on the russian servers. It was hillarious because there were a lot of noobies there and with my 200 ping plus I would still dominate the server. Then they got smart after a while a kicked my sorry butt off the server. The Q4 community was very alive and fun. I spent a lot of time on NA servers and only would venture across the ocean to that little island just east of Canada.

Senior Member megaman3 is on a distinguished road
    We all have fun quake memories, but fact is in 2012 those games don't have a decently sized community anymore (outside of russia).

That's why I said the point of paying to play QL is to have someone to play with, as all other quakes are deserted in public play (UTs and quakeclones too, among others), and is also why I think this will be the last "popular" fast paced fps game (unless 2gd's reborn is successful)
    Last edited by megaman3; 10-23-2012 at 09:50 AM.

Junior Member drewtonium is an unknown quantity at this point
    Quote Originally Posted by pikaluva13 View Post
    "therefore bought the right to include anyone to play every map on my server."

Uhh...no. You paid for:
    Full customer support
    Ability to join up to 10 clans
    Extended match history up to a year ago
    Access to Premium servers
    Additional gametypes
    Exclusive awards
    Ability to create a clan
    Content Updates
    Bypassing pre-game ads
    Bypassing site queue (although it's never been an issue)
    Ability to view graph on the statistics page of the last 10 matches
    Ability to spawn servers
    Ability to invite 5 Standards to join you on Premium servers.

tl;dr: You can invite 5, not ANYONE.
    So if I have the "Ability to spawn servers", a reasonable person would believe that all players would be allowed to join. Same concept as in back in the original Quake 3 days - when a person starts a server, and flips the bill for it, they let anyone play without the expectation of making some cash.

Get it?
    Last edited by drewtonium; 10-23-2012 at 08:11 PM.

+ Reply to Thread