+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Pro Membership Embarassment

Hybrid View

Junior Member drewtonium is an unknown quantity at this point

Pro Membership Embarassment

I have a QLive Pro membership. When I start a server, and open it up to the public (aka "Standard" user), there is a limited number of maps I can choose to include in the map rotation.

It's frustrating and embarrassing to me that the map rotation does not include maps like Campgrounds (DM6) or The Longest Yard (DM17), especially since I am a Pro member.

I want the "Standard" user to be able to play all the QLive maps on my server, not just the "Premium" or "Pro" members.

I'm calling weak sauce.. I paid for my Pro membership and therefore bought the right to include anyone to play every map on my server.

QLive is a business and I understand that, But don't forget the QLive grassroots, where people or a group of people pays for a server and includes everyone who wants to play. We do it because we love the game and invite all those who want to play, regardless of whether they want to pay or not.
    Last edited by drewtonium; 10-20-2012 at 05:03 PM.

Senior Member Mike68 will become famous soon enough Mike68's Avatar
    If you want to include all the maps, you will have to start a premium server. If you start a standard one, you are limited to the current month's standard map pool. Hope that helps.

Junior Member drewtonium is an unknown quantity at this point
    Thanks, Mike.

I want to start a server where everyone (non-subscribers included) can play, with all the maps available.

To the QLive suits - I won't be renewing my annual Pro membership. Things like this and the ads are weak sauce, especially for a paying member.

gg

Senior Member Mike68 will become famous soon enough Mike68's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drewtonium View Post
    Thanks, Mike.

I want to start a server where everyone (non-subscribers included) can play, with all the maps available.

To the QLive suits - I won't be renewing my annual Pro membership. Things like this and the ads are weak sauce, especially for a paying member.

gg

Ideally, I'd like to have servers open to all with all maps etc, but I also realise that to do this would mean that there would be no incentive for people to subscribe: they could just play all day long and not hand over a penny for it.

Mind you, subscribing is worth it just to get rid of the ads.

Senior Member SHAKEANDBAKE has a little shameless behaviour in the past
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike68 View Post
    Ideally, I'd like to have servers open to all with all maps etc, but I also realise that to do this would mean that there would be no incentive for people to subscribe: they could just play all day long and not hand over a penny for it.

Mind you, subscribing is worth it just to get rid of the ads.
    I remember renting servers for Q4 out of my own pocket and anyone could join any game any time. I could leave MY server and it would remain public and running. Anyone could use that server whether I was there or not. Any map was available!

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    I discovered Quake Live (and Quake in general) while searching for a free online FPS on google because the one I was playing before was riddled with hackers. I haven't seen an ad anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by SHAKEANDBAKE View Post
    I remember renting servers for Q4 out of my own pocket and anyone could join any game any time. I could leave MY server and it would remain public and running. Anyone could use that server whether I was there or not. Any map was available!
    You still can. For Q4.

Senior Member megaman3 is on a distinguished road
    In the end we are paying to play with other people, as you can always spawn q4 servers ("free" or rented) but there's 0 players, or q3 in which if you aren't russian then it's struggling to find a server and all of them are in absurd mods against noobs that haven't discovered google (or cpm or defrag).

Senior Member ShaZe is on a distinguished road ShaZe's Avatar
    Ok, you were able to pay for a server on Q4... or Q3...... hmmm did anyone mention to you that server creation on its own was free? Alright, you were paying third parties, so, in summary, you paid these third-parties to open up server to people that had paid for the full game which obviously include all the maps and now you are wondering why you can just pay a small 15$ to unlock the full content of an online service to everybody not giving a single dime?

lol, funny this thread is funny
    Last edited by ShaZe; 10-27-2012 at 02:17 AM.

Senior Member SLEEHUNTER is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike68 View Post
    If you want to include all the maps, you will have to start a premium server. If you start a standard one, you are limited to the current month's standard map pool. Hope that helps.
    All the more reason to keep my money in my pocket! In my opinion, you pay you should be able to host whatever game type you want! The reason he/she wants anyone to join his/her server is because the people pool is dwindling! The business model that "ID" is currently using is wrong. As a business owner, if I changed my game plan and noticed my usual customers heading across the street to another business because they didn't like what I did, I would change my business plan immediately, apologize and give my own butt a kick in the rear. This is a great game, but it is being mishandled! I don't play, or pay much attention to the European/ moscow/ British servers, but over here in the NA market, there was a time not too far ago when you could have a game pretty well anytime of the day. Today, yesterday, the day before and further back, I surfed every known game type at 8:30 in the morning and nothing. Absolutely, nothing 8:30 in the morning on a Saturday! Where normally there would be at least 1 server with someone on it.

Someone has broken the model. Campground! 1 of the most popular CA played games and it's gone. Only to the players that pay yet theres no one to play it now even on the paid servers. Hopefully someone with a little busniss savee will change directions.

Good Luck.

Senior Member Phlogiston will become famous soon enough Phlogiston will become famous soon enough Phlogiston's Avatar
    Vigilanteville, Moderation State, The World.
    Quote Originally Posted by SLEEHUNTER View Post
    if I changed my game plan and noticed my usual customers heading across the street to another business
    noticed my usual customers heading across the street
    usual customers
    A customer purchases goods.

No-one knows for sure the percentage of subscription uptake before/after the update and so we don't know if the actual number of customers has increased/decreased. Obviously the number of players has decreased in the US, but there's no solid basis for confirming how many subs have been lost as a result (indeed because of the annual basis for payment it won't be fully realised even by id until next year sometime and they won't release that info publicly anyways).

Also, if they've covered those potential losses elsewhere in the world (EU, Asia, Australia) then it's sad, but from a business point of view they really wouldn't be bothered all that much. The only basis I know of for actually putting numbers to the population sizes is from Alexa (flawed as it may be) - according to the top 10 audiences by location there, US has about 10% of the overall playerbase - EU is looking at something over 60%. About a 6:1 ratio.

From what I can remember it was about a 2:1 ratio shortly after the update. From checking the traffic stats (also on Alexa) - the overall game population hasn't really changed (says -10% over last 3 months but it goes up/down depending on the last day of the week the stats were updated) - so although the global distribution of the population has changed, it hasn't actually shrunk.

I do think that it's sad to see a US company not being supported by its own countrymen and I really think there should be some effort on dividing the business model so that it's dealt with differently in 'conquered' regions like EU.

TLDR: Gains in Europe have covered losses in NA. From a business standpoint, id couldn't care less.

+ Reply to Thread