+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to not kill Quake Live

Junior Member DavieJones is on a distinguished road

How to not kill Quake Live

I've noticed in the past couple of months there has been little to no traffic on Quake Live. Previous to that, I could count on being able to drum up a good CTF game. From my perspective, the two main changes that have affected traffic on the servers are:

1. The inability to chose maps on free servers
    2. The absence of CTF4 on any of the servers

CTF4 has a tremendous following - I ran a Q3 server for 9 years and that server was almost entirely based on CTF4. Yes, we'd deviate from it, but CTF4 was the glue that held it together.

Please consider undoing these two changes - don't let Quake die!

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    Tremendous following of bad players to be honest. Take pretty much anyone that plays CTF4 a ton (other than jones :P) and you've essentially got a tier 2 CTF player. None of the "skills" from that map relate to any of the others, and the overall level of these players are much lower in any other map. Honestly, the lack of NA Tier 4 CTF servers is exactly how it was before the map rotations: It was nearly impossible to find a good game. However, the only difference now is that it's not cluttered with Space CTF because those players would rather complain about not being able to play the map instead of spending money for a Pro Subscription.

If 2 people bought Pro, there could EASILY be a Space CTF server. However, how often have you actually seen a Premium Space CTF server? I think I've seen one and that's it. So instead of complaining that you can't find a game of Space CTF (65% of your games are on that map), how about you purchase a Pro subscription and just spawn a server?

Senior Member SLEEHUNTER is on a distinguished road
    Wow I can't believe you pik. You missed the entire point of his/her topic. No traffic! Why buy a subscription when, there is no traffic as a result of the changes!

Senior Member megaman3 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by SLEEHUNTER View Post
    Wow I can't believe you pik. You missed the entire point of his/her topic. No traffic! Why buy a subscription when, there is no traffic as a result of the changes!
    Invite some people from your friend list and there you go. Or use the greasemonkey script to invite anyone via console.

With a pro account there are no excuses really.

Senior Member Phlogiston will become famous soon enough Phlogiston will become famous soon enough Phlogiston's Avatar
    Vigilanteville, Moderation State, The World.
    TBH although there were generally 2/3 spacectf servers running when they were free - I've yet to see one more than half full since it was made premium. Does this mean that it should be made permanently standard or that some spacectf players should consider buying a sub?

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEHUNTER View Post
    I missed nothing. The OP is complaining about not being able to play Space CTF, and I suggested that instead of complaining like other Space CTF players that they should just buy a subscription and then wouldn't have to worry about the lack of a server because they'd be able to spawn one (that those people would then join)

Junior Member DavieJones is on a distinguished road
    I get your point PIK. But you still sound pretty pompous. My whole purpose in playing isn't to appease your standards...I'm just killing some time.

And look at it this way. If I see that there is no traffic in the free servers, then what leads me to believe that there are more players in Premium? Now I know you'll tell me that there are...but without being able to see that, I would have no idea. Get it?

But at any rate, thanks for your input. I may very well take you up on your suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by DavieJones View Post
    I get your point PIK. But you still sound pretty pompous. My whole purpose in playing isn't to appease your standards...I'm just killing some time.

And look at it this way. If I see that there is no traffic in the free servers, then what leads me to believe that there are more players in Premium? Now I know you'll tell me that there are...but without being able to see that, I would have no idea. Get it?

But at any rate, thanks for your input. I may very well take you up on your suggestion.
    Mainly I'm just talking in general, not directly *you*. It's just that there's a ton of Space CTF players that are complaining about not being able to play, yet none of them have even considered purchasing a Pro account and inviting people. It's pretty astounding how far people will go to freeload at times.

Junior Member americannon is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by pikaluva13 View Post
    Tremendous following of bad players to be honest.
    Your elitist attitude is disgusting. People were playing a free game and having fun. Trying to stop that is pure sadism and bullying. Your constant harping about freeloaders is just ridiculous since the game is free to play. LOL

Junior Member SkillSilla is on a distinguished road
    I noticed that QL is pretty much starting to die aswell witch is really sad...

Back in 2010 There were tons of servers even from Finland I belive....

Now we have the PRO subscription thing ad since that its going downfall...

I know that QL needs money and stuff but seriously...

I live in Estonia ... and ALL SERVERS except Finland ( havent see one in a while ) Sweden ( seen few 1 to 4 ) ( 0 since halloween event )

and well thats pretty much it ? i got 100 ping in all other countrys .. Kiev / Poland / whatever and 100 ping is unplayable ..

50 is okay and im used to that even tho some players play with 20 ..

I think Quakelive should let everyone "Spawn" a server

I personally donīt care what iīm playing is it CA / FFA whatever I just want to do some frags .. I havenīt played CTF in months because well only servers from sweden are mainly FFA and CA .. Maybe some CTF too but i dont really remeber...

Iīm not against the pro subscription and so ( I am just poor and I can not afford 50$ subscription ) Also 7.50$ is insane price to pay to pay 1 month .. itīs easyer to play World of Warcraft for example...

Anyways yeah ... There are no servers I could personally play on anymore...

Where the swedish servers went anyways ??? haven seen one since 21 I think since the big update....
    Last edited by Lam; 10-25-2012 at 05:49 AM.

+ Reply to Thread