+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: share the pain a routing issue self help group

*Jymbo

share the pain a routing issue self help group

About a month or so ago my isp decided that my routing needed some adjustments so now all my pings everywhere have tripled. I used to ping average 20-30 from Arkansas to most servers in my vicinity, but now im getting sent all over creation to connect to one state away.

I've run a few tacerts and lets just say Im glad that my packets have the privilege of stopping by mars to say hello to the Curiosity Rover before telling the server that i pulled the trigger on that rail gun.

Anyways I was just wondering who else was taking a break due to similar issues ?

*shakes fist at mars*

Senior Member tomlin is on a distinguished road tomlin's Avatar
    I have a cable connection that goes from my PC all the way up to Uranus.

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    Many people have similar issues. Ping is not an important matter for ISPs and QL is very ping sensitive compared to pretty much anything else (even other games). I remember someone on this forum showing us a tracert going from NY (where he is from) to Germany (!!!) before coming back to QL's server on NY.

You can't do anything but complain to your ISP.

Senior Member CeeLoGreen is on a distinguished road
    lvl3 owns the majority of the fiber links in the U.S. and reach farther than just mainland. Even they have to do maintenance work sometimes, and reroute data. When a (path) reaches maximum utilization, data sometimes will be redirected to the (path of least resistance). Not always the desired path we would like it. But info has to keep flowing, and sometimes gamers suffer. Unless you work for your ISP it's usually unknown whats truly going on behind the curtains. I work for my ISP, and it's even hard for me sometimes to get a "higher up" in the tech departments to give me the truth about whats going on with my own connection....

Complaining to your ISP unfortunatlly won't help a route your data flows in. Sometimes it's just beyond their control. Bandwidth from your ISP is purchased from a higher power. your ISP is local. And locally, you probably ping just fine to your CMTS server in your ISP's head end.

Senior Member Adderall will become famous soon enough Adderall's Avatar
    the priority of the servers changed along time ago. I dont blame the isp when we all make the same useless hops to certain servers.
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/member.php?38883-sectionate

Amd 8350 - 4816.08 MHz on air
    Crosshair V
    Asus GTX660 DirectCU

Quote Originally Posted by Undertaker12 View Post
    Thank you. You're video is ok... you need a better cfg than that, and you should try using electronic songs like my movie.

Senior Member c3 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Jymbo View Post
    About a month or so ago my isp decided that my routing needed some adjustments so now all my pings everywhere have tripled. I used to ping average 20-30 from Arkansas to most servers in my vicinity, but now im getting sent all over creation to connect to one state away.

I've run a few tacerts and lets just say Im glad that my packets have the privilege of stopping by mars to say hello to the Curiosity Rover before telling the server that i pulled the trigger on that rail gun.

Anyways I was just wondering who else was taking a break due to similar issues ?

*shakes fist at mars*
    I have the same issue. From San Diego, my ISP routes me all the way to Atlanta, Georgia before it comes back to Los Angeles. Pretty messed up when I'm only 100 or so miles from the server, but routing rules the day. Sure you can complain to your ISP, but likely to no avail. They will rarely ever help you w/ ping related issues as they are only concerned with your speed consistency and whether or not you're getting packet loss.

However, there are some proxy services out there that can literally alter your routing so you have a better route to a particular game server. Try www.wtfast.com first, because they have a free trial to see if it will even work for you. If you're playing through a browser, you have to select the plugin-container.exe file as your game application for it to work.

Personally, I like www.fixmylag.com better. I don't play without it, and it drops my ping from 60 to 16-25 as it gives me a more advantageous route. Hope this helps.

Senior Member fantazia is on a distinguished road
    The Problem have many Peoples with different Nationality and Isp.
    But only on Quake Live Server.In Quake 3 or other Games nobody have Routing and Pingproblems.
    I can Ping what i want i have low Ping only Quake Live Server is bad.
    All random?Different Nationality and Isp and all the same Problem.............

http://www.quakelive.com/forum/showt...-German-Server

Senior Member chaos252 is on a distinguished road
    something strange has been going on lately.. ping has been ok, but weird lag. va in particular, and its not just me half the server was complaining the last time i was on. there was a couple times where id get a frag message before the guy even died or the other way around. just an overall "off" feeling for all weapons, sensitivity and movement.

Senior Member fantazia is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by c3 View Post
    I have the same issue. From San Diego, my ISP routes me all the way to Atlanta, Georgia before it comes back to Los Angeles. Pretty messed up when I'm only 100 or so miles from the server, but routing rules the day. Sure you can complain to your ISP, but likely to no avail. They will rarely ever help you w/ ping related issues as they are only concerned with your speed consistency and whether or not you're getting packet loss.

However, there are some proxy services out there that can literally alter your routing so you have a better route to a particular game server. Try www.wtfast.com first, because they have a free trial to see if it will even work for you. If you're playing through a browser, you have to select the plugin-container.exe file as your game application for it to work.

Personally, I like www.fixmylag.com better. I don't play without it, and it drops my ping from 60 to 16-25 as it gives me a more advantageous route. Hope this helps.
    Hi,

thanks for the Post.This Progs works .I have Ping 50-60 on German Server since 3 Weeks.With wtfast i have Ping 30.And you say fixmylag is better?

Junior Member pseudo is on a distinguished road
    It's not the ISP's. Everyone suddenly started pinging awful (my ping is sometimes 10x what it once was) around the same time some big updates were made with regards to the map pool and a few things on the back end. I know that it's not my connection because nothing else has slowed down for me. Not other games, not downloading or uploading. If I saw any evidence that it was anything other than Quakelive, I wouldn't rage out over it, but it's only THIS game that has problems with routing. No others.

+ Reply to Thread