+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A new business plan for quakelive

Senior Member TheGreen3astard has a little shameless behaviour in the past

A new business plan for quakelive

If you will consider for a moment that limiting the map pools is not a very effective way to get users to play, pay or stay, please entertain the following ideas for a different way to achieve your objective. (*i am a paid pro member)

1. Re-invigorate userbase
    - put all maps in. ALL. Lets go back to net marketing 101 - eyeballs. The userbase itself is the core asset - grow it - and fast.
    - remove 30 second wait time start game ad
    - encourage play - not hinder it.

2. Try new partner based - not user based rev models
    - the ads - inside - the game. add more of them. Way more of them. If you pay - you dont see them. This means users dont wait to play (30 seconds) but will see more ads on the walls of the game. Personally - i dont even mind them within the game.

- Site sponsorship - you could do a WAY better job of letting advertising partners - totally -sub-brand the quakelive.com site - with interactive / mouseover drop-downs which play new game ads/videos

- get rid of your automated ad network - that shows gamers swiffer sweeper ads for housewives - or software for physio therapy websites (to name 2)

- A better - more web 2.0 style of community website. End the heavy handed moderators. Allow copy paste images - or videos form youtube. Make your friends and clans part of the social fabric. Get likes going. All your website could create more value for partners

- read and interact with the users/members on your forum

- i would still pay to customize my server (to go faster than default game) ... but there would be more users - to play (if not hindered from playing - see above)

3. Other initiatives to grow userbase could include:

- releasing ALL the old quake maps / levels back to version ONE
    - add ALL the old characters - as options to turn on as bots in all games (lets have some dobermans or ogres running around - for fun)
    - as mentioned in other thread - do some re-vamps of popular maps
    example: Vortex portal 2, a space map the size of overlord - perhaps with 2 blown apart ships as bases, a large battlefield map with foxholes and small hills

Hopefully there is something - ANYTHING here to help get you off your current course - of making the game a horrible experience - in the name of pumping up a user based revenue model - that you are SHRINKING
    Last edited by TheGreen3astard; 10-02-2012 at 12:45 PM.

Banned DCR is on a distinguished road
    here's a simpler idea:

non subscribers start with 1 health, 50% weapon damage capability, can't pick up lg, shotgun, rocket launcher or railgun, and when they die in game, respawns are immidiate and at the same position as where they died.

OR:
    non subscribers don't have hud capability, don't have crosshair, don't have sound effects, just radio commercials and gets 15 minute play time each day before they're kicked and banned for 24 hours.

OR:
    maybe actually add some of the useful advice that was suggested like 4 years ago till today that still hasn't been implemented, please see the archived beta forums and the posts since then under suggestions category and elsewhere, ie even other websites,streams, other forums, even that place called irc.

But i dno.

Senior Member Dr_Mr_Ed will become famous soon enough Dr_Mr_Ed's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreen3astard View Post
    - get rid of your automated ad network - that shows gamers swiffer sweeper ads for housewives - or software for physio therapy websites (to name 2)
    LOL. Aren't these targeted ads? What have you been buying??

*smackahontas
    @TheGreen3astard:
    a lot of good ideas that don't match their style.
    @dcr:
    a lot of sarcastic bad ideas that match their style.
    @ Dr_Mr_Ed:
    ads tried to get me on dates with russian chicks. lol id.

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smackahontas View Post
    @TheGreen3astard:
    a lot of good ideas that don't match their style.
    You mean relying on ads to sustain everything and make it totally free? Yeah, absolutely not their style. They really didn't try that at first. It would have worked.

@dcr:
    a lot of sarcastic bad ideas that match their style.
    Yes, pay2win is their style; hence why subscribers have all the unfair advantages ingame today.

@ Dr_Mr_Ed:
    ads tried to get me on dates with russian chicks. lol id.
    <3 Natasha

Junior Member p1ants is on a distinguished road
    sell hats for player models, get rid of the guns.

Senior Member CoolMike is on a distinguished road
    Rather than try to maximize the percentage of players who subscribe, it makes more sense to try and maximize numbers of players who play regularly.

Some percentage of regular players will subscribe. This subscriber percentage is a fairly static number and is difficult to change. Therefore, the way to increase the number of subscribers is by increasing the overall playerbase.

I'd recommend advertising QL somehow. Steam, Gaming review websites, inserts in the inside cover of other id / bethesda games, whatever it takes.

Member SuperSmola is on a distinguished road
    I agree with the OP. And as well, let them have sponsored maps! For one week/month a map could be available and be filled with only one company's ads.
    People would really like the company that had brought them Campgrounds for a month, wouldn't they?

another small thing: Put the signup / Skill test back to how it was - before you changed it 20 games or whatever it is.

I think it used to be 3 or 4 games. Again - this HINDERS play. There are so few CTF players - skill doesnt even matter anymore.. we'll take ANYONE

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSmola View Post
    I agree with the OP. And as well, let them have sponsored maps! For one week/month a map could be available and be filled with only one company's ads.
    People would really like the company that had brought them Campgrounds for a month, wouldn't they?
    that's a great idea

+ Reply to Thread