+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: October 2012 Standard Rotation

Member knubbe is on a distinguished road
    Decided to restart custom non-premium server of 24h Theatre of Pain to change few settings... worst idea ever.

Bring back Theatre of Pain to non-premium selection, please. This map pool is absolutely horrible and just drives away even paying players.

Also the QL server software seems horrible, after only 16-20h uptime it becomes laggy and can only be resolved by spawning a new server.

Junior Member MAR7I is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by runnyunder View Post
    hmm no ca maps? almost lost/electric head / hearth/spillway eye2eye and seams and bolts all playable as 2v2 ca
    almost lost intervention and spillway for 4v4 prob hero's too.
    Almost lost, eye2eye, seams and bolts and spillway are TERRIBLE CA maps . Having said that im glad eye to eye's in the mappool, its kinda useful for 1v1 LGs and such. Black cathedral is also god awful for CA. An example of GOOD CA maps ( 4vs4 ) would be asylum and overkill ( quite possibly the best 2 )

Senior Member intheway will become famous soon enough intheway's Avatar
    Leviathan and Intervention wre fun for 6-8 player ffa's. Leviathan I had played before but Intervention was a new one for me. Dare I say it was fun to play almost lost again...lol.
    Last edited by intheway; 10-01-2012 at 10:56 PM.
    Sometimes I wonder...
    "Why is that frisbee getting bigger?"
    Then it hits me.

Senior Member intheway will become famous soon enough intheway's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by knubbe View Post

Also the QL server software seems horrible, after only 16-20h uptime it becomes laggy and can only be resolved by spawning a new server.
    In q3 a server would run forever with the odd reboot. In ql, I would think it's id's intention that people spawn a server for a few hours at a time, play thier games and then leave, let it die and then spawn another one when required. It dies anyways not long after the originator leaves.
    Sometimes I wonder...
    "Why is that frisbee getting bigger?"
    Then it hits me.

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MAR7I View Post
    Almost lost, eye2eye, seams and bolts and spillway are TERRIBLE CA maps . Having said that im glad eye to eye's in the mappool, its kinda useful for 1v1 LGs and such. Black cathedral is also god awful for CA. An example of GOOD CA maps ( 4vs4 ) would be asylum and overkill ( quite possibly the best 2 )
    I disagree, expect for spillway being bad and overkill being good. What makes a good CA map and why Almost Lost and Seams And Bolts aren't, in your opinion?

Junior Member NastyTime is on a distinguished road
    Another month of reduced game play...pfff

Junior Member noetix is on a distinguished road
    Want to have my regular Blood Run duel, can't, quit without playing a game.

Senior Member danstar will become famous soon enough danstar will become famous soon enough danstar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by intheway View Post
    It dies anyways not long after the originator leaves.
    well that may be true in canada where there is no one .. here servers stay alive up until the next day sometimes regardless who spawned it, people use it.

Junior Member MAR7I is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashSoul View Post
    I disagree, expect for spillway being bad and overkill being good. What makes a good CA map and why Almost Lost and Seams And Bolts aren't, in your opinion?
    CA is simple, it's a slugfest : everyone plays his / her 1v1 and then survivors duke it out. A good CA map is fairly simple ; you need enough space that you can fight, but not too much that people can +back and shaft / rail. And this is coming from a massive LG player ( 58 percent use at the moment : http://www.quakelive.com/#!profile/statistics/MAR7I )
    Almost lost rewards rail from platform to platorm, nade / rocket spam, and generally +backing, hiding with rail and spam too much.
    As for seams and bolts, well, where the hell are you gonna fight in 2v2 ?
    Eye to eye is bad because of the height of the corners ( platforms ) and the lava.
    A good CA map must :
    - let enough space for people to fight, possibly close so that they can decide to focus sometimes, but not too much that rocket can't be used.
    - Not reward hiding and spamming. In fact it should harshly punish +backers. You know the kind of player who still has 200 100 when the rest of the team dies ? And uses its teammates to get better score, while costing the team rounds ? The kind who never comes meet but is close enough to rail enemies while his mates get ganged ? Yeah those guys. A good CA map must punish those kind of players pretty hard.

Senior Member megaman3 is on a distinguished road
    I can't believe someone is saying amphi is awful. Also your 2 "good ca map" points are in contradiction with what you said before.

+ Reply to Thread