+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Which gun needs the fastes, quickest reflex draw?

*Frya

Comfortable key bindings? Clans? And other noob questions.

1) Which weapon is used in such situations, that need "insta draw" or the opportunity to shoot is lost? Rail Gun?

I'm totally new to Quake or any competitive FPS...

2) Are there any good clans out there in QL?! With TeamSpeak servers?
    I mean, I won't have enough to learn this game alone, just reading cold tips from experienced players. I think it must be enjoyed in fun company...

3) I made such key bindings for weapons, are they any good?

bind 1 "weapon 1" //Gaunt
    bind 2 "weapon 2" //MG
    bind 3 "weapon 3" //SG
    bind q "weapon 4" //GL
    bind e "weapon 5" //RL
    bind MOUSE3 "weapon 6" //LG
    bind r "weapon 7" //RG
    bind f "weapon 8" //PG
    bind c "weapon 9" //BFG

I tried to bind RL and GL to MouseWheelUP and Down, but playing with bots I got to the conclusion, that too much action on a mouse is not good.
    On the other side, using 1, 2, 3 keys is not very comfortable.

edit: Damn, sorry guys, my first post and I made a mistake, wrong forum category Guess I was too sleepy.
    Last edited by Frya; 09-25-2012 at 12:11 AM.

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frya View Post
    1) Which weapon is used in such situations, that need "insta draw" or the opportunity to shoot is lost? Rail Gun?
    I don't understand.

2) Are there any good clans out there in QL?!
    Sure. For what game type in what area though?

With TeamSpeak servers?
    Sure. Plenty have or have access to teamspeak/mumble servers. The clan I'm in at the moment is trying to get setup with that.

3) I made such key bindings for weapons, are they any good?

bind 1 "weapon 1" //Gaunt
    bind 2 "weapon 2" //MG
    bind 3 "weapon 3" //SG
    bind q "weapon 4" //GL
    bind e "weapon 5" //RL
    bind MOUSE3 "weapon 6" //LG
    bind r "weapon 7" //RG
    bind f "weapon 8" //PG
    bind c "weapon 9" //BFG

I tried to bind RL and GL to MouseWheelUP and Down, but playing with bots I got to the conclusion, that too much action on a mouse is not good.
    On the other side, using 1, 2, 3 keys is not very comfortable.
    The top 5 easiest keys to hit with WASD are Q, E, F, C, R.

The top 5 most important weapons are:

RL
    LG
    RG
    SG
    GL / PG

I would try something closer to:

Q RL
    E LG
    F SG
    C RG
    R GL

For the other weapons maybe:

2 MG
    V BFG
    Z GT
    G PG

Perhaps make T the BFG, V for grenades, R for Plasma.

Hmm, yeah. This is one of the reasons I use ESDF instead of WASD, so I get an extra key, the 'a' key.

A lot of this is personal preference so just some ideas. I have found that what key you use to select a weapon with can have a big impact on how you aim with it though.

Seems like weapons that are more far away from the movement keys have more time spent on aiming them, so they are greater position but lower speed. Keys close to the movement keys are for lower precision but high speed. In practice though you can easily overcome these tendencies, so it's pretty up in the air. Very personal preferency.

Banned jigglywiggly is on a distinguished road jigglywiggly's Avatar
    which gun requires the question reactions? rail gun obviously
    LG is tracking
    rail is reaction heavy
    rocket is spam skills obv

Senior Member tomlin is on a distinguished road tomlin's Avatar
    to be fair if you've got a different weapon equipped and you see someone flying from a to b over your head then switching to rocket launcher and air rocketing them is very similar to switching to the rg. you'll need good aim and reflexes for both.

i'd say it depends on context but generally yes, rg.

*Frya
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorfa View Post
    Sure. For what game type in what area though?
    I'm like "tabula rasa" in Quake ;D
    When I was in high school I've seen my friends play it, back then I was so ignorant that I thought of Quake gameplay somewhat like "run and shoot everything around". I thought it was "blood/postal-ish" shooter game, but played multi.

But recently I have been playing World of Tanks (nearly got to WCG finals in Poland this year). In WoT you need to know reload times of most important tanks, their armour etc. Someone mentioned, that in Quake you need to time items, remember their respawn times. That got me interested.
    I watched some duels with rapha/cooller comentaries. I'm amazed how this game is skill based. This is like Formula 1 of all computer games. Quake is just classy.
    And in contrary to most games, it's goddamn fast. It demands high attention.
    My friends are laughing

Watching Quake duels is far more interesting than any other sport of esport.

I've seen some topic on this forum, about "fall" of Quake on esport scene. I know that QL is out of most important competitions.

But personally I don't think that Quake will ever "die" for esports. It's formula is too good.
    There are not many changes in footbal, but we still watch it and play it. There are not that many changes in StarCraft, still, it's on top in esports now. (Only MOBA is a new thing.)

Quake formula will never die, it might be in demise at the moment, but it's a result of lack of investments in it.

But answering your question:
    I'm inspired by Duels, but I want to just enjoy Quake.

1) Should I learn moving, strafe jumping by playing Defrag?
    2) Is it a good idea to learn timing Mega and Red while playing with bots?

Senior Member quakestreme is on a distinguished road
    Frya, how about you actually play the game for a while first and get to know the community properly before you start writing treatises and analysis on it. Just a suggestion.
    Aways ensure you are maintaining a high FPS rate in QL. Otherwise you can be at a big disadvantage. To find out your current fps rate, use the command: "set cg_drawfps "1"".

*Frya
    Are you serious? Can't I even write that this game is great and in my opinion still has esport potential? Just a question.

Senior Member megaman3 is on a distinguished road
    Are you serious? Can't I even write that this game is great and in my opinion still has esport potential? Just a question.
    It's the official forums. You should leave this place lol.

Community is on www.esreality.com. Other useful sites are www.qlranks.com (ladders, sort of. Great for finding duels if you install the greasemonkey script), QL greasemonkey scripts in general (google), MM spawn visualizations. Also there's plenty of material on youtube, and (almost) everything from q3 works in ql.
    Last edited by megaman3; 09-25-2012 at 01:18 PM.

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    other stuff
    Donno what quakestreme is on about, must be having a bad day.

I'm inspired by Duels, but I want to just enjoy Quake.

1) Should I learn moving, strafe jumping by playing Defrag?
    Defrag is kind of cumbersome in QL. There are trick maps, but I've always found them rather unpleasant. Maybe just play CA and try to move as fast as you can through the map. Use practice mode too and see how fast you can get from A to B in your favorite maps.

2) Is it a good idea to learn timing Mega and Red while playing with bots?
    If you want to play duels I must warn you that the learning curve is no picnic, and the competition level is merciless.

Many players learn to aim/move in CA, learn something about item timings, armor/health management in FFA, practice their rail in instagib, and master fast runs through a map in CTF before they attempt to take on duels.

For the ambitious duelist who is wants to go straight up the cliff "without ropes" so to speak I recommend the following:

1. Decide on a map pool that's a healthy amalgam of the pools used at current duel events. Probably this is not a bad list:

Bloodrun
    FuriousHeights
    LostWorld
    Aerowalk
    Toxicity
    Hektik
    Silence

2. Memorize ALL the spawns on these maps. Memento Mori made a very useful interactive spawn visualization here: http://www.esreality.com/?a=post&id=2219012

When a player dies, they will respawn randomly at a _set_ of spawns that are a certain distance from the enemy player. This visualization system allows you to see that.

3. Memorize the map layouts completely, and watch plenty of demos on all of them to get an idea of the shots/positions that work.

4. Master any tricks needed for the maps. Examples include: Plasma wall jump to Red on bloodrun, falling to the red armor on LostWorld from RL, Jumping from red on the boxes to the middle level on toxicity, and the bottom-side teleporter to top RL jump on Aerowalk.

5. Memorize all item timing numbers for the Mega and Armors.

There's a utility here to help:

http://deadmen.us/quake-timers.html

A substitute is to memorize only by 5's and then do some adding.

Probably you should set cg_LevelTimerDirection to 0 so that the timer counts up as it is easier to add usually.

6. Learn duel with a friend. Play against him/her and both record the games. Then exchange the demos and watch them. Automatically record your own games with cg_AutoAction 1 and always go over them. You'd be surprised what you can learn.

7. Pay attention. Every game event is feedback on how to improve. Perfect practice makes perfect, so try to learn from each gaming session. It's very easy to just play and go through the motions and learn nothing.

Senior Member filo is on a distinguished road filo's Avatar
    hey newcomer welcome.

I would say all weapons requires quickest reflex draw ... cuz you want your croshair on enemy as soon as possible.

About the weapons... i have the weapon i mostly use on mousewheel ... MWUP is RL, MWdown SG to finish ppl off, then the rest is around wasd... so i would say do your layout of bindings, how ever feels more natural to you.

Also be sure to check guides and such... you have all the links to community made guides and such in my sig link.

+ Reply to Thread