+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: My ideas for Quake 5: Arena

*NexCarnifex

My ideas for Quake 5: Arena

Quake 5 will mix the classic, fast paced, shoot from the hip style of Quake 3/Live while adding in a new concept. In the game, characters won't hold guns normally, but instead have them attached to their forearm with a contraption that allows them to shoot without pulling a trigger. With their hands free, players can use melee attacks up close, or assassinate players from behind. The scale of these abilities as well as stats like speed and accuracy vary from character to character. For example, Klesk would be have good speed and accuracy, above average melee do to his sharp claws, but poor defense. He would also have a couple of special abilities, like being able to devour the flesh of the fallen in order to restore his health as well as being invulnerable to assassination do to the spikes on his back. All the characters would have advantages and disadvantages and some would utilize the melee feature in vastly different ways, for example, Orb would completely lack the feature but make up being having good speed and advanced accuracy (he is a big eye after all), but his accuracy would also come at a cost, he'd also have disadvantages with vision do to his eye being exposed. I think not only would this allow Quake 5 to deliver the same fast paced, old school gameplay that Quake 3 offers, but also feel fresh and appeal to the masses who want new, unique experiences.

I think it works and it hasn't been done yet, Quake has this brutal feeling and it just doesn't fully come through when your limited to weapons. Giving the players the ability to wail on each other with their fists and claws, just ups the brutality of the death sport that is Quake. Quake isn't going to compete if it is just the same thing as it was before with pretty graphics, Quake Live's tiny fanbase is a testament that Quake needs to evolve to appeal to the masses. Everything the old school fans enjoy would be intact, fast paced gameplay, no iron sights, hardcore violence and brutal combat, but just with a little innovation to help Quake stand out among games like Halo and Call of Duty, which add new things with every installment.

Don't you want Quake to be a topic of conversation? People comparing it to Halo and CoD? I don't want it to lose what makes it what it is, but it needs to add something and this gives more purpose to the whole shoot from the hip thing as well.
    Last edited by NexCarnifex; 10-03-2012 at 11:54 AM.

Senior Member navigaator is on a distinguished road navigaator's Avatar
    I bet there's going to be ironsights, if Quake 5 is ever made.

Senior Member pwnstar is on a distinguished road pwnstar's Avatar
    Might be sort of workable in a specific Team Fortress-esqe game mode but would be terrible pretty much everywhere else.
    Unless different "classes" have to work together towards something the result will just be one character rising to prominence while others gather dust. Based on what little you've said I'd anticipate a lot of orb vs orb duelling for example.

Member nkh is on a distinguished road
    Select Orbb.

Select LG.

GAME OVER.

Senior Member muckyman will become famous soon enough muckyman will become famous soon enough muckyman's Avatar
    Or they could re-make quake 3 with waterfalls and bushes and palm trees and flying pieces of debris and hovverbikes and stuff...
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Friedman
    All flying saucers are UFO`s not all UFO`s are flying saucers.

Member cladinshadows is on a distinguished road
    >quake
    >different characters would have advantages and disadvantages
    no.

Junior Member goyco is on a distinguished road
    At first, Quake 3 was supposed to be class-based but they decided to go for a minimalist design and dropped the idea. It was for the better I think.

Member cladinshadows is on a distinguished road
    ^ Agreed :3

Junior Member Picklesthesmurf is on a distinguished road
    I think it should be based on rocks and spears but I do like your ideas.

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    Orbb would also have to have some blindness function after being hit, as taking a rocket in the eye probably isn't going to allow you to see much afterwards.

+ Reply to Thread