+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: game freezes with sound looping - lasts about 10-15 seconds

Senior Member julios is on a distinguished road
    k started freezing again regularly. Reinstalled quakelive from scratch this time - uninstalled both the mozilla qlive plugin and qlprism and reinstalled. Froze within a minute of joining server. Am gonna try testing my other account and seeing if the freezing occurs. If it doesn't, then this is truly a problem that is not related to my own system.

Senior Member Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa is a jewel in the rough Lorfa's Avatar
    Doesn't make sense that a different account wouldn't have the same problem, unless the repconfig from each one was different. In fact, that's the only difference.

You do get the freezes with the default config right? The only way to clear out repconfig is to back up your files, delete qzconfig.cfg, repconfig.cfg, and autoexec.cfg if you have one, then go to game settings --> reset defaults.

just played an entire ffa match without a single freeze using my old (non premium) account. Gonna play tomorrow with it more just to be sure.

So as far as I can tell, everything is identical with both accounts, except for the account being used.

And I always just use my own config when I play - i type /exec julios.cfg (in both accounts), so i'm not sure if i'd freeze with the default config.

ok turns out it happened with my other account (which has 0 friends). However, when it unfroze, i noticed two awards popping up.

I'm gonna do some more testing, playing in windowed mode and seeing if there's any relationship between the freezes and events happening outside of the actual game.

also noticing now that my freezes don't unfreeze by themselves now. It freezes for about 10-15 secs, unfreezes for a fraction of a second, then freezes again. The only way I can get out of the freeze is by hitting alt-enter, and then the next time it briefly unfreezes it goes into windowed mode and unfreezes properly.

also, it freezes when watching demos too (even if i didn't freeze in the original game that was recorded).

reducing the number of friends seems to have greatly reduced the amount of freezing, but hard to tell as I was only able to do the "experiment" of changing the # of friends once.

Senior Member pikaluva13 will become famous soon enough pikaluva13's Avatar
    Do you have the tooltips popping up? You mentioned that you got 2 awards when it happened, so to me I'm thinking that you've got the tooltips on and are getting notified with a ton of friend-related ones, and somewhere in there it's causing the freezing.

yea the tooltips did pop up, but i only saw them after i alt-entered into windowed mode.

did some more tests - deleted ALL my friends (except for 2 who are rarely online), and it still froze.

then, i logged in with my other account (which has 0 friends), and just spectated (to avoid getting an award). within minutes, i froze.

i suppose it's worth disabling tooltips - didn't realize that was possible.

for what it's worth, i also bought some compressed air and dusted the **** out of my processor, motherboard, and video card - no change

disabled all alerts and still freezing.

disabled all non-essential processes and still freezing.

deleted all configs and reset game settings. still freezing.

perhaps time to buy a new system.

ok think i've figured out the problem. i underclocked my video card to the lowest frequencies, and was able to get two full ffa matches without freezing! fingers crossed, will report back once i'm sure.
    Last edited by Sasparillo; 11-13-2012 at 05:43 PM.

*Olof
    This happens to me too. Is there a way to fix it?

Junior Member coco is on a distinguished road
    had that problem too.it dispear after i did disk defragment

Junior Member zyan_ is on a distinguished road
    im getting random freezes every couple minutes too. it all started shortly after the firefox 17 update. no system changes, other games run fine. for me, it freezes for about 5 seconds every 3-5 minutes, sound loops, then its okay again. also, firefox crashed today when i was in a game.

Member QLPT is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by zyan_ View Post
    im getting random freezes every couple minutes too. it all started shortly after the firefox 17 update. no system changes, other games run fine. for me, it freezes for about 5 seconds every 3-5 minutes, sound loops, then its okay again. also, firefox crashed today when i was in a game.
    www.qlprism.us

+ Reply to Thread