+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: One more time about shuffle

Member Yoko is on a distinguished road Yoko's Avatar

Thumbs down One more time about shuffle

Hi all,
    just want to ask why is shuffle so bad (mostly in CA)? What's the point? I really don't understand. And why developers don't fix it or just not trying to make it better?

This is not good when weaker players are on one team and stronger players in another. Weaker just trying to survive by jumping around the map and looking for teammates. For stronger players this is just like easy frags, improving stats . Looks like T4 playing versus T2/3. On the other hand may need more tiers, f.e. tier 5 / tier 6 instead of 'GOLD tier'.

This situation spoil the fun of the game

UPD: Oops, this thread must be in 'General Discussion'. Sorry, moderator
    Last edited by Yoko; 09-16-2012 at 06:45 AM.

Senior Member KaasMan is on a distinguished road
    Why do all these people whine about bad shuffles?
    Shuffle works fine if you'd ask me, and yes I also play tier 3 CA.

Senior Member Cat has a spectacular aura about Cat has a spectacular aura about Cat's Avatar
    It's a helluva lot better than it used to be. When the max was 100 it was basically a crapshoot, since all the skilled tier 4s had 100 skillrating. I used to win close to 70% of my games. Now I win almost exactly half of them.

Senior Member Phlogiston will become famous soon enough Phlogiston will become famous soon enough Phlogiston's Avatar
    I think it works pretty well tbh.

Although the tiers are shown as 1, 2, 3, 4 + gold all the gold players are differentiated by having ratings in between 100-999 which is better than them all being sat on 100 which placed a 'good' T4 player as the same ability as 'the best' T4 players.

Sure it messes up from time to time, but overall it works well.

Senior Member TSEliot is on a distinguished road TSEliot's Avatar
    I would just like a fix to the "no players shuffled" shuffle and the team switch shuffle (red to blue and vice versa)

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TSEliot View Post
    I would just like a fix to the "no players shuffled" shuffle and the team switch shuffle (red to blue and vice versa)
    It only means the teams are fine for the algorithm.

*an00bis86
    There's really no way to get a 'perfect' shuffle; if you have a server of 9 ordinary players and one extraordinary player, no matter which way you shuffle, the team with the extraordinary player will probably have an advantage in a 5 vs. 5 battle.

Judging by your date of signup with QuakeLive, I'm guessing you're probably playing with a bunch of other new players in a similar situation too. Unfortunately, by default, you are placed in tier 3 to start, until you've played enough games that the algorithm can get a better sense of where you actually belong. Thus, it's more likely that your rating is just artificially high at the moment, due to the circumstances above, which will throw off the results of a shuffle.

In an ideal world, the system would already have perfect knowledge about your abilities and be able to match you with players that are exactly as skilled as you. The reality is that it is not possible to do that, so this is the best approximation you're going to get. There is an option in custom servers to have a random shuffle as opposed to a shuffle based on rating, in case you're interested.

Member Yoko is on a distinguished road Yoko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by an00bis86 View Post
    Judging by your date of signup with QuakeLive <...>
    Don't judge, this is not first account in QuakeLive (but my first two accounts was deleted due inactivity ~1-2 years).

Balance is bad because when in-game some noobs are ragequits and some players joining the game, and this thing finally breaking the balance cuz shuffle allowed only on warmup or players on stronger team didn't want one more shuffle (sometimes they just want to play versus weaker players and make good stats).

Sometimes i don't understand HOW some players got 'TIER 4', shooting at the walls and just jumping around on each map + spamming small areas.
    Last edited by Yoko; 09-24-2012 at 06:10 AM.

Senior Member TSEliot is on a distinguished road TSEliot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashSoul View Post
    It only means the teams are fine for the algorithm.
    yes I know why, but when players call a shuffle they aren't looking to switch team color and they aren't looking for confirmation that teams are "balanced"

they want teams to shuffle, so when a case of "no players shuffled" arises the shuffle should just be automatically called again by the game(shuffle method) so that people actually change teams and we don't have to waste time calling shuffle again, because that is what we are going to do anyway, so why not make it automatic?

Member oxo_ is on a distinguished road
    u dont need tier system for shuffle, u dont need elo ratings, u just need damage given per game for ca/tdm mode

+ Reply to Thread