+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Visual Effect Tips and Advice

Junior Member PhoenixFilms is on a distinguished road

Visual Effect Tips and Advice

Hey guys I'm a filmmaker and a visual effects artist. I'm currently the Manager of Post Productions at a company I'm starting up. Although I still have so much to learn I feel that my skills are constantly improving and I feel that I have knowledge that I can pass on to anyone who is interested.

I know Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere, Color (apple's color correction software), After Effects and Photoshop and am in the process of learning 3D software. I know techniques for editing, rotoscoping, matchmoving, and a whole array of visual effects. I'm constantly working on new projects and learning more and more techniques in each one that I do.

As a filmmaker and Quake player, obviously I'm very interested in Quake videos. I got hooked on Quake and still play it today after over 10 years because of own-age.com. If anyone has needs advice on how to approach any sort of effect for their videos let me know. Just reply to this thread and although I'm busy and a terrible forum user I will try to check it weekly and respond as soon as I can.

Also, my film crew and I are currently in a Sigur Ros music video contest. You can watch the video if you want to see some of my work here:

http://www.talenthouse.com/creativei...f669e9c2ee/663

Hope you like it and consider voting! We're currently in the top 50 and have a chance at winning but we need more support!

The effects I've done in this video aren't too crazy; most go unnoticed, which is the biggest part of my job. The snow is obviously fake. It's my first snow effect and I could do better with more time but we literally almost didn't get the video up on time trying to polish it! Here's some other things I did that you may not notice though:

-Removed a tripod leg from the middle of a shot (it was too much in the frame to be cropped)
    -Added the sun and lighting FX to the sunset
    -Sky replacements and colour correction
    -Seamless transitions between two shots

If you want to see flashier things like explosions and blood splatter you can see that in other videos on our YouTube channel.
    Last edited by PhoenixFilms; 09-13-2012 at 12:31 AM.

+ Reply to Thread