+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: NEWB TDM! Join our nightly west coast games!

*musicofmelkor
    tdm in quakelive was crap when i played it(during beta period)
    weapon respawn time was pretty much nil, so no one cared to hold down weapons spots
    a lot more ammo and health packs compared to q3, so people took longer to die
    it felt like i was playing clan arena with powerups. yawn.
    q3tdm was pretty much perfect and didn't need any new ideas
    haven't played tdm in years, so i hope id lets you vote change/server change some of these options.
    ill definitely give it another chance if changes can be done.

edit: ah, just read your post, so weapon respawn time went back to 30 seconds. nice
    i say just use default settings except for time.
    use 10-15 minute matches for games instead of 20. that way people will have to learn to play tdm the correct way, but won't have to invest as much time into it as before.
    good luck getting the scene bigger, hope it works out
    Last edited by musicofmelkor; 09-13-2012 at 11:48 PM.

Senior Member Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam has a spectacular aura about Lam's Avatar
    Timelimit obviously has to be even, otherwise the last quad you get seconds before timelimit. There's nothing more outrageous than 15 minute TDM!

If your only motivation for shortening the game is making it shorter in case of blowout, why not just use mercylimit 50 like us here in Europe? You're luring in CA players and from my experience, normal pub CA players are used to 20+ minute games which are much more boring than TDM (as you spend half of the time not even playing). Or maybe they can't play as long without the breaks for spectating? :)

Senior Member Biz_ is an unknown quantity at this point
    the problem with vanilla TDM is that it requires too much communication and QL is stuck in 1995 and hasn't added voicechat.

reducing spawn times should help that... though it does "dumb down" the game without solving the core issue.

Member EVOL is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by musicofmelkor View Post
    tdm in quakelive was crap when i played it(during beta period)
    weapon respawn time was pretty much nil, so no one cared to hold down weapons spots
    a lot more ammo and health packs compared to q3, so people took longer to die
    it felt like i was playing clan arena with powerups. yawn.
    q3tdm was pretty much perfect and didn't need any new ideas
    haven't played tdm in years, so i hope id lets you vote change/server change some of these options.
    ill definitely give it another chance if changes can be done.

edit: ah, just read your post, so weapon respawn time went back to 30 seconds. nice
    i say just use default settings except for time.
    use 10-15 minute matches for games instead of 20. that way people will have to learn to play tdm the correct way, but won't have to invest as much time into it as before.
    good luck getting the scene bigger, hope it works out
    The very first game we played, I had weapon respawn times at 10 seconds. That was way too easy, but it DID get people playing. The next day (after the forum posts, with a little bit of buzz generated), I pushed it up to 15 seconds. Still a little too easy in my opinion, but I'm pretty happy. I'm not playing clan arena. I'm playing back to back 4v4 tdm games. I think 20 seconds is going to be the sweet spot. 30 is good when you have an organized team with voice comms. In a pub on QL I think 20 is going to be pretty good. This guy pizza that's been playing (newish account, probably an alt, but who cares) is quite good, and he was talking about how constantly a teammate with a weapon would grab another weapon right in front of him, without dropping anything. I think it's going to take some time for CA players to get out of "CA mode". Learn how to control the map, time items, share weapons, etc. Gonna be worth it though =)

Senior Member brainwreck is on a distinguished road brainwreck's Avatar
    Yeah supporting this, if anyone ever needs an invite or would like me to make a server if evol is not around feel free to add me. Also, we need to make binds to let people know to bind 'dropweapon' cuz its ridiculous when people dont share and since q3 didnt have drops i think a lot of people dont realize you even can drop guns...anyways..hoping i am free to join in with you guys more often!

Member EVOL is on a distinguished road
    It's been really fun guys - I'm able to get tdm games rolling most nights. We try to hop on the #qlpickups.us mumble server, and I usually try to let the people in that channel know when a server is up.

New observations:
    Most clan arena players just want to play clan arena. Even with newb'd tdm rules (faster weapon respawns), they aren't interested. So I'm just rolling with the default weapon/armor rules now. The only changes I have now are:
    - 12 minute game
    - 40 frag mercy limit
    This keeps the games shorter, and less frustrating when it's a blowout.

I think it's going to be tough on the west coast. I ping ~60/65 to TX, so I'll try hosting the games there, to see if we can draw more players from mid/east.

Hope to see more people joining!

Senior Member n3tfury is on a distinguished road n3tfury's Avatar
    I got my ass kicked, but I'm very new to TDM so that kind of mode is a lot harder than it looks. Nice game yesterday, guys.

Banned jigglywiggly is on a distinguished road jigglywiggly's Avatar
    Here are my reccomendations from a TDM pro.
    Rapha and zero4 kicked me from their tdm team because they thought I was hacking. I have over 50 years of Quake Live TDM experience.
    The weapon respawn times need to be at least 5 minutes because 30 seconds is too casual. Also quad damage should respawn every 10 seconds because quad damage makes the game way better. Also I recommend that if you quit the game early that your account is permanently banned to keep the teams even.

Senior Member n3tfury is on a distinguished road n3tfury's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglywiggly View Post
    I have over 50 years of Quake Live TDM experience.
    That's a long time.

Banned jigglywiggly is on a distinguished road jigglywiggly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by n3tfury View Post
    That's a long time.
    yeh i train hard everyday
    and drink plenty of juice

+ Reply to Thread