+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Earning Gold Bar Too Quickly?

*Naff

Question Earning Gold Bar Too Quickly?

Hi all,
    just one question about tier system. As you can see i've registered my account 08/28/2012, since that time i've completed 15 matches (9 wins, 6 losses + 3 quits) in CA / CTF / IFFA, just 5 hours of gaming. But at this moment i've got an 'GOLD' tier in CA. Is it normal or not? Maybe i miss something?

quakelive_tier4.gif
    Last edited by Naff; 09-03-2012 at 06:16 PM.

Producer SyncError will become famous soon enough SyncError will become famous soon enough SyncError's Avatar
    Looking at your stats and your performance vs expectations, everything looks correct. You currently have a PR of 100, which just barely grants you a gold bar. If you see yourself performing in the lower third of players in your future matches you'll see that PR begin to fall and you'll lose the gold.

*Naff
    Okay, thank you! But can you be more specific? I don't completely understand how can i get the 'GOLD' bar since my stats are not good enough for it. I mean this stats:
    - 9 wins, 6 losses;
    - 159 frags and 125 deaths;
    - 18% of accuracy.

Sorry for this basic questions, but i'm really don't understand

Senior Member megaman3 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Naff View Post
    Okay, thank you! But can you be more specific? I don't completely understand how can i get the 'GOLD' bar since my stats are not good enough for it. I mean this stats:
    - 9 wins, 6 losses;
    - 159 frags and 125 deaths;
    - 18% of accuracy.

Sorry for this basic questions, but i'm really don't understand
    First of all, tiers are determined by skill, not play time. The way to determine skill is by winning matches, which means you can get "carried" to gold by your team. Also sync just hinted it also has to do with your position on the board even if you win. tl;dr: it's fine.

Secondly, I think the bars aren't grey with 10 matches in each gametype. Gold is the highest one, like you have in CA, but that means a skillrating of 100 or more out of 999 so it isn't special at all.

A useful site is www.qlranks.com, which is the same but in a ladder form. It doesn't have the "gold" limit and is very useful for finding duel matches (tied with the greasemonkey script that shows elo in quakelive.com), and it also automatically tracks ca and tdm (just don't quit or switch teams mid game for balance purposes or something, otherwise it always counts as a defeat on it).

Plus it's lol ca. The mods that are an actual measure of skill and that are used in most tournaments are duel, ctf and tdm, in which the sky is the limit. Examples? youtube.
    Last edited by megaman3; 09-04-2012 at 06:27 AM.

Senior Member FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul will become famous soon enough FlashSoul's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by YMCMB View Post
    First of all, tiers are determined by skill, not play time. The way to determine skill is by winning matches, which means you can get "carried" to gold by your team. Also sync just hinted it also has to do with your position on the board even if you win. tl;dr: it's fine.
    As far as I know, wins have nothing to do with it : only your position on the scoreboard in regard with the time played with teams no having any influence.

Quote Originally Posted by YMCMB View Post
    A useful site is www.qlranks.com, which is the same but in a ladder form. It doesn't have the "gold" limit and is very useful for finding duel matches (tied with the greasemonkey script that shows elo in quakelive.com), and it also automatically tracks ca and tdm (just don't quit or switch teams mid game for balance purposes or something, otherwise it always counts as a defeat on it).
    Good for duel but absolutely not CA. Also, it doesn't automatically track CA/TDM at all (unless you donated QLRanks money) as you have to join the IRC channel and type !updateCA YourName for it to search for your matches.

Senior Member DocPossible has a spectacular aura about DocPossible has a spectacular aura about DocPossible's Avatar
    If you're in the top third (by score) on the server you get a rank boost, bottom third get a bump down, and the middle third remain unchanged. So you can be on the winning team and still get a negative change to your rank.

It seems to me that this is too generous once you start to get rating above 100. Essentially it means that people that play a lot and can regularly finish in the top third will rapidly end up with very high skill ratings. 900+ are becoming common and I'd be surprised if this wasn't distorting shuffles. Someone with a 900 rating in CTF isn't 9 times as good as someone with 100...
    Like to play more Freeze Tag ? Join Clan Chill. We play Freeze Tag most evenings, 7:30pm UK time onwards, with a smattering of TDM, CTF and a regular duel cup. Check our website. IRC : #clanchill on quakenet

+ Reply to Thread